PDA

View Full Version : Which version of Linux?

macca1970
21-08-2011, 05:16 PM
Hi, having new computer delivered this week and would like to try a linux os. Does anyone have any advice on which version is best for a relative newbie?

Thanks

Ureyesonly
21-08-2011, 11:19 PM
I use ubuntu 11.04, it's easy to install & use.
http://www.ubuntu.com/

Rollerman
21-08-2011, 11:28 PM
Hi,

I use the Ubuntu distribution because it provides a pretty professional looking interface which makes it really easy to use. You can install it from Windows using an installer called Wubi. With this installed you can then choose which oprating sysyem to boot into when the operating systems first load.

Have a look:

To view links or images in this forum your post count must be 1 or greater. You currently have 0 posts. Rollerman

macca1970
24-08-2011, 09:03 PM
Hi, thanks for the info. Got it up and running and must say i'm pleased with it :-)

falcon0
25-08-2011, 04:04 AM
I prefer Linux Mint it is worth checking out

cummz_fan
02-09-2011, 03:12 AM
I started using Kubuntu so I could install LinuxMCE. I've been looking at Ubuntu for my Vaio but I can't get the Live disc to boot up properly (blank screen).

kentwold
11-09-2011, 12:56 PM
Can anyone suggest a linux bit faster for netbooks, but still mostly gui based? I've been using ubuntu but I'm finding it's not really any faster to boot/run than Win 7, if at all.

classix
17-10-2011, 12:57 AM
I personaly compiled Gentoo for my Acer Aspire one which is pretty speedy, although you have to be relatively linux savvy to get it all running. Also try distrowatch (http://distrowatch.com/) for a nice distro review site.

Emogirl
17-01-2012, 07:50 AM
I’m using Ubuntu 9.0 in my laptop. I installed Ubuntu because it’s an open source operating system.

BraveHeart
25-02-2012, 06:54 AM
take your pick >>> To view links or images in this forum your post count must be 1 or greater. You currently have 0 posts. more info >>> http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Linux

stockyboy123
23-06-2012, 05:13 PM
Personally I'd say Fedora, it's quite lightweight and the GUI is good..although not the best for people new to the Linux way of doing things, it's good for learning on! Lots of things work natively on Fedora, out of the box so to speak. But as other people have said, Ubuntu and Mint are probably the easiest to get to grips with (I started on Ubuntu myself!)

spendingspencer
05-08-2017, 08:44 AM
Hi,

I use the Ubuntu distribution because it provides a pretty professional looking interface which makes it really easy to use. You can install it from Windows using an installer called Wubi. With this installed you can then choose which oprating sysyem to boot into when the operating systems first load.

Have a look:

To view links or images in this forum your post count must be 1 or greater. You currently have 0 posts. Rollermanthat link rollerman it takes me straight to the latest version of ubunto download link the wubi app where can i locate this and then how do i go about putting it on my lappy with the windows 7 install i have already on there/??