imranrar
12-08-2011, 03:09 PM
witch antivirus best for windows7

fergalsworld
12-08-2011, 04:27 PM
Microsoft security essentials, its good and its free

thelostone
12-08-2011, 05:12 PM
I have to agree with ferg nice and easy setup i have mine set to do a quick scan everyday and by the way welcome to wod
http://www.world-of-digital.com/forums/forumdisplay.php?8-Who-Are-You

digdug
12-08-2011, 05:48 PM
I recommend ESET NOD32 (To view links or images in this forum your post count must be 1 or greater. You currently have 0 posts. It's not free but an excellent antivirus that uses very little resources and footprint on your machine

Memory: 44 MB
Disk Space (Download): 28 MB
Disk Space (Installation): 35 MB

alvinsmith
22-10-2011, 03:08 AM
Kaspersky Anti-Virus 2011. I've been using this for a year.

Ianr
30-10-2011, 02:11 AM
I go with the eset option. Check out the eset website for independent AV comparisons. Eset finds more, missed fewer and uses less resources doing it. Its used by a government organisation near Cheltenham!!

Collider
30-10-2011, 06:44 PM
I use this sometimes as different virus tend to get through different anti virus softwares To view links or images in this forum your post count must be 1 or greater. You currently have 0 posts. and heres a result summary updated august http://www.virusbtn.com/vb100/archive/summary

roman
29-05-2012, 12:57 AM
Slightly off topic but, I've always used Norton internet security and was wondering whether I'm wasting my money considering the number of free packages available these days, do they provide the same level of cover?

skypirate123
29-05-2012, 01:20 AM
Just to add I would also go with Nod32. You can get it for free thanks to their useless username/password security and it secures practically everything.

dave_moore
29-05-2012, 01:26 AM
comodo To view links or images in this forum your post count must be 1 or greater. You currently have 0 posts. its the second one down never faild me and i do some ****ed up **** on the web he he

and go for internet security programs as just AV are no good in this day and age of cyber attacks you need the whole lot spy were fire wall sandboxing web rep cloud AV the list gos on just read the post.

alanjg007
29-05-2012, 08:11 AM
Slightly off topic but, I've always used Norton internet security and was wondering whether I'm wasting my money considering the number of free packages available these days, do they provide the same level of cover?

I noticed noone picked up on this. Ive always steered clear of Nortons and mcafee! Bloated, resource hungry and costs a packet considering you can lots better small footprint applications for free that does the same thing and probably better!

Collider
29-05-2012, 12:54 PM
Found after extensive testing antivir has smallest footrprint,and like you say its free ;-)

hubert_cumberdale
31-05-2012, 05:18 PM
Microsoft Security Essentials. Small memory footprint, unobtrusive scanning and completely free. I used to use AVG until it started getting ever more bloated and annoying, not to mention slowing down my computer during startup and when scanning.

http://windows.microsoft.com/en-GB/windows/products/security-essentials

Cpta1nPaco
02-06-2012, 01:50 AM
I know this is an old thread but I have had a quick scan through and nobody has mentioned AVG... they do both a free tool and a paid version depending on what you are wanting from your security...
Cracking tool with regular virus database updates and the full paid version is relatively cheap compared to the crap that is Norton & McAffee

falcon0
02-06-2012, 02:02 AM
I know this is an old thread but I have had a quick scan through and nobody has mentioned AVG... they do both a free tool and a paid version depending on what you are wanting from your security...
Cracking tool with regular virus database updates and the full paid version is relatively cheap compared to the crap that is Norton & McAffee

One of the best is Avast and they do a free version too AVG gives too many false positives, just my personal opinion

sinky88
03-06-2012, 01:58 AM
I use AVG, I tried Microsoft Security Essentials but I thought that made both my computers slower, weird.

falcon0
03-06-2012, 02:14 AM
Yea
I use AVG, I tried Microsoft Security Essentials but I thought that made both my computers slower, weird.

Yea quite a few of them hog the pc there bloated i only run the firewall and turn everything off so if i download any file im unsure about just right click on it and scan,

Ian_24
03-06-2012, 03:34 AM
Personally I use avast antivirus it does not seem to use many system resources and pretty reliable too.

Thomas Leone
04-06-2012, 02:21 AM
I've used Microsoft Security Essentials in the past and I have no complaints about it. In fact, I'd recommend it. But just for the craic, I yesterday installed Avira Free for a test run and set the security level high, which it warned could lead to more false positives. After a 20 minute quick scan the only thing it warned me about was its own installer still in the download folder. If it's wary of it's own installer then hopefully it will do well to pick up on actual threats. Although for the time being, I think I'll set the security level to medium. Paranoid software is the last thing I need.

Collider
04-06-2012, 08:21 AM
Yea it is quite known for false positives quite high on picking up threats though http://www.virusbtn.com/vb100/RAP/RAP-quadrant-Oct11-Apr12-large.jpg

clanelliott
30-06-2012, 05:31 PM
i use BitDefender and this year's renewal i got 3 pc's for ?9.99,
i also use ATF-Cleaner, CCleaner, spybot, Malwarebytes as they are free

dave_moore
30-06-2012, 05:53 PM
i use BitDefender and this year's renewal i got 3 pc's for ?9.99, pmsl you silly person to be polite i cant belive you even pay 9.99 i used to use it and had it cracked till 2015 then found several much better ones for free ie MSE and comodo internet security.

Spinifex
30-06-2012, 05:56 PM
pmsl you silly person to be polite i cant belive you even pay 9.99 i used to use it and had it cracked till 2015 then found several much better ones for free ie MSE and comodo internet security.

i personally like eset, its a challenge to visit certain blogs with it activated, so it gets told off for a few mins while i get me new *cough* info

djinn69
09-07-2012, 11:02 AM
Sorry to disagree, but I cannot recommend Microsoft Security Essentials after receiving 2 particularly nasty viruses while using MSE which took me the best part of a day each to fully remove.

I would recommend Avast for a free option or Kaspersky for a paid option, or consider Linux as viruses are a lot less prevalent on Linux.

gizmo59
29-08-2012, 04:54 PM
I use Sophos, not had any problems so far.

badass838
06-09-2012, 01:49 AM
I've been using Avira, regular scans with Malwarebytes - no infections.
Comodo for firewall.

dj_steve
13-09-2012, 03:02 AM
I use MSE with Malwarebytes stand alone scanner no problems used to have avast but it slowed my machine down found it too bloated nowadays

fakini
28-09-2012, 06:49 PM
I don't think there's one "best" antivirus program, but common sense is usually the best security, if you deal with computers long enough then you can usually know how to prevent getting infected.

I use comdo as my main security and Malwarebytes and hitman pro as a backup in case comdo misses anything. Also, i run a standard account and password the admin account which adds even more security.

I only use the admin account to install/uninstall or to make any changes.

b196211
29-12-2012, 08:17 PM
No such thing as a "best" AV..

As someone who owns, and codes hes own cryptor, take it from me;
ANY anti-virus can be bypassed, ANY..

Sure, over time the stub will become detected, but its really.. REALLY easy to FUD (Fully undetectable) the stub (virus) again.
My suggestion; AVG and Malwarebytes.

Best of both worlds really IMHO.

ilovenzb
02-02-2013, 08:06 AM
ESET NOD32 i bin use it for 4y now not had av vrus or out pc still runs fast with install this the best for me :)

rhubarb
27-02-2013, 02:29 AM
If you've got a machine that you think might be infected - put Kaspersky AV onto a USB stick and the infected PC from it.

I've used it to clean root kitted machines that were resistant to any AV software running under Windows. Be aware that if you want to update the virus definitions you'll probably need to do it over a wired ethernet connection.

shifty2k13
19-03-2013, 01:56 AM
Use anything but Microsoft Security Essentials

to be honest i have malwarebytes install and thats it and i havnt had a problem in like just over a year so i guess its pritty good
altho its not really virus protection

scott1234
20-03-2013, 03:36 AM
Use anything but Microsoft Security Essentials

What's wrong with Microsoft Security Essentials? I've never had a problem with it at all. Found if pretty good tbh.

papo1123
20-03-2013, 07:04 AM
i use Avast basic very good AV, also Microsoft have been doing great with their Av lately..
bottom line if you know what you are doing on pc even without Av, even before i just use malwarebytes with just autorun eater, very good for autorun malicious virus

tediboy
23-03-2013, 02:18 PM
On my laptop i still run xp & use avast internet security suite, on my desktop pc that has windows 7 i run avg internet security suite, to be honest i dont have any trouble at all with viruses, highly recommend those 2 guys.

ibb7
23-03-2013, 07:06 PM
I use Microsoft Security Essentials, its free! No matter what anti virus you will use there will always be a risk of threat, No problems with Microsoft so far!

Huxlee
24-03-2013, 10:04 AM
I use Microsoft Security Essentials, its free! No matter what anti virus you will use there will always be a risk of threat, No problems with Microsoft so far!

Same here, used avg for the last 3 years but found it slowed down the laptop more and more , and the interface seemed more difficult to understand , so changed to mse, and I haven't looked back nice and simple to use with no problems

Joewastaken
05-04-2013, 01:47 AM
I used to use Microsoft Security Estentials but I got a nasty virus recently and have changed to Avast which seems great. I found a good guide on Lifehacker which confirmed that MSE has been slipping lately

soed
06-04-2013, 12:09 AM
I use Norton Internet Security 2013 and it serves me well, Safesearch is an awesome feature and it saves you visiting infected sites. I get you could use Firefox and the Web of trust app (I think it's an app) instead of safe search and use GData. Issue with GData is it's resource heavy.

brightspark
02-05-2013, 08:47 AM
Does Sophos block sites ive heard it blocks sites which are allright.

steve.kane
05-12-2013, 12:49 AM
Personally, AVG is the best for me it does everything an Anti Virus program need, very reliable and its free. I also use Malware Bytes, these two together work really well.

gmzinfinate
11-12-2013, 01:26 AM
Norton is superb anti-virus software.I am now using Bitdefender though,and it's great,not surprising it is rated #1.DON'T!! Though pay retail price of about ?50.If you shop around you can get it for ?20 for a year's coverage.This applies to both Norton and bitdefender.Also once you buy,don't take any new offer they offer you until a week or so before your coverage runs out,and you will get it for ?19.99 again,they will do this to keep you.

MUST READ!!

When you buy most anti virus software,make sure you untick the box (hidden) for automatic renewal.Payment is made through third party providers,and is a nightmare sometimes to stop.If you don't uncheck this box you will have considerable hurdles to jump over to stop payment renewal.The box is always there buy law,but it is hidden behind legal language,DO NOT! press purchase until you find this box.

msw1980
15-12-2013, 02:52 AM
What Norton do you use? I'm up for renewal soon and am trying to figure should I renew my internet security or go for the more expensive Norton one, which seems to offer multi platform usage - useful if you've got tablets, mobiles and PCs

wib_1
16-12-2013, 01:33 PM
i like Avast anti virus , easy to use , they also have a free version, updates its virus definitions and informs you by way of speech..

gmzinfinate
19-12-2013, 11:40 PM
Norton's main anti virus software is one of the best around.If a hadn't got Bitdefender for ?19.99 for another year then i would have gone back to Norton.Shop around though.If you can't get it for ?20-25 quid then take a free trial,they will offer it you for that price if you wait until a couple of days before the free trial ends.

Paid anti virus protection is the way to go i am afraid.Especially if you use it for online banking or purchases.

shaft56
20-12-2013, 04:45 PM
I use Avast and been using it for a couple of years.

tlogic
21-03-2014, 10:26 PM
avast for me, AVG is pretty good aswel.

ilovenzb
21-03-2014, 11:06 PM
ESET NOD32 all the way for me :)

gunner83
21-08-2014, 11:30 PM
another vote for nod32

tediboy
14-08-2019, 01:46 PM
avast internet security is best ive ever used, its got it all.

bezo
15-08-2019, 11:40 PM
pmsl nothing like spamming threads to get your post count up hey