PDA

View Full Version : remote learning

jiggy
12-08-2011, 12:16 PM
Hi all, never sure if I'm posting in the right place so apologies if this should be somewhere else.

I recently inherited a Humax freesat HD box and would like to know if its possible to get my TV remote to learn the functions? I have an LG 42LG6100 TV, and the remote has a STB button but I can't find anything about programming it to take over from the Humax remote.

Cheers,

Simon

Diablo13
12-08-2011, 09:21 PM
If you got the manual with the Humax, does it give you a list of compatible codes for LG in the back?
Failing that, have a look on the Humax site for an in depth pdf for your models functions.
It is more likely that the Humax remote will take on the functions of your tv I would have thought?
In either case it is unlikely to be able to replicate all the functions, just the main ones, volume, channel switching, on/off etc.

jiggy
13-08-2011, 09:18 PM
Thanks Diablo. I have had a look for both LG and Humax codes on their respective websites and tried entering them but to no avail. Do you think a universal remote might control both?

Diablo13
14-08-2011, 12:23 AM
Yes,............. if you get a good one jiggy!
There are so many cheap ones around, which give varying success on different appliances.
Results can range from good to pure ****e, with too soft buttons, or hard to press and too small buttons, non responsive buttons, and narrow angles of infra red transmission making it hard to hit the actual receivers!
Those being just some of the common problems with no brand models.
The Harmony Logik remotes are supposed to be the best by far and can be set up to control anything.
They are also rechargeable, and are set up on your computer, which is a big bonus.
I have been seriously thinking of getting one myself, but they are a bit pricey for a remote!
Depends how many bits of kit you want to use it on I suppose and I have a lot, what with av amp, VU+ box, Sky box, Freeview dvd recorder and player, Asus 'O'Play and telly, so it is probably worth my while.

Here is a link for a Harmony remote to give functions and review ideas. Not the most expensive model of theirs and it is always worth shopping around for the best prices, but it gives you or anyone interested a place to start.

To view links or images in this forum your post count must be 1 or greater. You currently have 0 posts. P.S
I convinced myself in writing this post, so I just bought that one for ?99.99 from Currys online, reserve and collect, and I can pick it up from the local shop later today!
(http://www.logitech.com/en-gb/remotes/universal-remotes/devices/3898)

Rollerman
14-08-2011, 11:37 PM
Hi,

If the Humax Box was released after your LG was manufactured, I would assume the LG remote is not going to contain the correct codes.= - you might have more luck controlling the TV using the Humax remote?

I purchased a Harmony One universal remote about a year ago to get to grips with controlling all my different boxes and AV receiver once and for all. After sepnding a couple of hours setting the remote up, I have found it to operate without a hitch and well worth the ?100 investment.

Spinifex
15-08-2011, 08:17 AM
I dont like universal remotes, cos you can program your own buttons but you dont know what you programmed them as.
some you can write on a little slip but not all buttons can be replicated.

then theres the fact something new comes out and you need either to buy another universal or on some you can flash scripts to them. about the only thing they would be useful for is clone boxes.

im not sure if your LG tv is this code 0152 or 1293 for sky remote but ive found they work for the 32 inch version but yours maybe different. the 0152 isnt listed anywhere apart from where ive posted it!?

i prefer 300 remotes in my bed at least i know where everything is when i need to do something lol

jiggy
16-08-2011, 10:26 PM
Thanks for the codes spinifex, alas, still no joy. My 13 month old boy thinks remotes are the best toy ever so 300 would keep him happy for a while! Maybe I'll go universal and he can have the other two to chew on...

Diablo13
16-08-2011, 10:32 PM
That Harmony remote is awesome!
Spent a couple of hours stting it up on the laptop yesterday and now I can just press the touchscreen to watch a film or listen to music or whatever and one touch switches on the telly, the av amp the Sky + box or whatever. It even puts the amp on the right HDMI port etc.
I was impressed to find the database included the VU+ Duo sttings as well.

I have a Honeywell remote controlled fan, but the remote is bust, this remote even works that and does all the speed and rotate settings.
Very impressed with it and worth splashing out on as I now have room on my small coffee table for coffee and bickis, as well as my collection of ever handy dildo's! woohoo