PDA

View Full Version : soldering pipes

Hitman
31-07-2006, 10:47 PM
OK
i thought i start this one off.
I do a little plumbing as part of my job (builder) and a plumber i know told me this:

When soldering a pipe you need to make sure that the correct temprature has been reached all the way round the joint.

Simply torch one side and put the solder on the other(furthest) side.....if it melts on the other side it will definately melt on the side you were torching.

simple ehh!!!

Hitman
31-07-2006, 10:51 PM
And another:

When you want to solder a pipe you have to make sure the pipe is empty otherwise it will not work.

It is not always easy to empty a pipe of water but one good way is to use a bit of electrical earth sleeve....push it down the pipe and syphon it off.

:wink:

TEEPEE
06-08-2006, 01:50 PM
Heres a bit more info:
you are best using yorkshire fittings for all joints. (pre-soldered)
always wire wool the pipe and flux both sides of joint.
buy a decent gun. eg: surefire 2 they work great but cost £40.
dont solder direct on the joint pull it back 1/2 inch and move slowly forward and back until a ring appears.
get a mist spray bottle and wet the joint down after soldering.
never balance a pipe while soldering caos if it moves before its set it wont be sealed.

Gazer
07-08-2006, 11:19 PM
Well i will let you know how i get on, as iv got two rads to install in my house soon and the mrs as been nagging me now for 12 months too get them done lol

TEEPEE
08-08-2006, 05:26 PM
hi gazer. if you find it a bit too messy to solder buy the new plastic fittings (hep2) they just push on and are very safe. they also can be used on existing copper. but they do the pipe in plastic as well. is your system a straight combi or a y-plan? (do you have a copper tank?). if you need anty help ill send you a link that takes you thru the full job. :)

Troggy2006
15-08-2006, 09:40 PM
There are lots of good books out there that should help

jimmyjj
08-09-2006, 10:56 PM
i usually wait till the flux just starts to smoke then touch it with the solder
job done ,

jimmyjj