PDA

View Full Version : Microsoft tells customers to dump Windows XP before support runs out

thelostone
14-07-2011, 07:21 PM
If you run xp i thought you might like to read this

Microsoft on Monday made its most aggressive move yet to convince customers to drop Windows XP and adopt Windows 7, telling them that there were only 1,000 days of support life left in the older operating system.
Stephen Rose, the IT community manager for the Windows commercial team, noted the 1,000 days remaining for Windows XP support in a post to a Microsoft blog.
"Windows XP had an amazing run and millions of PC users are grateful for it. But it's time to move on," Rose said, adding that the operating system exits security support in "less than 1,000 days."
The 10-year-old XP actually has a little longer to live than that: Microsoft has promised to patch XP through April 8, 2014, 1,002 days from Monday.
"Bottom line, PCs running Windows XP will be vulnerable to security threats" after that date, said Rose. "Furthermore, many third party software providers are not planning to extend support for their applications running on Windows XP, which translates to even more complexity, security risks and ultimately added management costs for your IT department."
still got a little while yet lol

Reddevil
14-07-2011, 07:27 PM
goodold Microshaft lol

Diablo13
14-07-2011, 07:38 PM
I really don't know why so many users are still clinging to XP, long after the Titanic has sunk?
On a funny note, if you run Vista or Win 7, there is still the option to run some programs in "compatibility mode for XP", which shouldn't be necessary, especially as they are removing support for the system! :confused:

Quite apart from the fact that Windows 8 will be out before the 3 years are up, so you might as well change from XP then, especially if you are going to buy it, or it is on a large business network system!

Microshaft once again trying to boost their market!

tinkertiler
14-07-2011, 08:13 PM
Not everyone has new computers that are compatable with vista or 7 and they have no choice but to use xp. MS has made a bad move in my opinion dropping it and it will make a lot of older pcs obsolete which will cause more waste as systems become useless that are still in working order!!

And before anyone says anything like it will run on any pc you are wrong! I know of at least 2 people who have old pcs that just will not run it. Why should they be forced to buy another pc and operating system after they made the purchase many years ago?? Just because MS cant be arsed with it anymore and force people to buy new operating systems!!

MS i will warn you that if you carry on like that i can see a certaing Annonymous hacking group having you in their sights and hitting you hard!! Who do you think you are MS Sony ffs pmsl

Diablo13
14-07-2011, 08:48 PM
While I'm not disagreeing with you tink, its called progress.
I know there are users out there that are quite happy with 500mb of ram, progress has been so fast over the last 5-10 years in the electronics world that you can't keep up. For someone who only really wants to email distant relatives once or twice a week they don't need a powerhouse pc, or flash fast operating system.
Our successive governments are committed to having everyone in the country online, but millions of people don't want to be and have no need for internet access. Especially when they have to pay for it, its just another needless bill, on top of ever growing fuel prices!
However, commerce is such that if people don't continue to buy and upgrade, there is no money for future investment and new development. It makes me laugh to hear that the country is in recession and people have less disposable income, but in the next breath they say high street profits are down and we need to spend more money than we have to come out of the recession?????
Its the same with credit.
We are told being in debt is a bad thing, but credit is pushed more than ever before and if you don't have a credit history, you can't get credit if you needed it in an emergency?
Yes in Microshafts case its a bit different because they don't sell necessities, but they push too much to sell more unneeded, newer, faster, or more versatile products. Which in one way is wrong, but they need to do it to survive and develop new products, so in a way its understandable.
But yes, withdrawing product support from something which was bought in good faith, with no life limit on it is wrong.
Though it happens in every industry, like it gets hard to find parts for an old car, or buttons to match an expensively bought old coat!

tinkertiler
14-07-2011, 09:27 PM
We are not talking about a old coat or a light switch which only cost a few quicd we are talking about pcs which if you look around are not cheap!!! To get something to run windows 7 reasonably well you are talking a minimum of ?250 and that is bare minimum and how much were these old pcs that people purchased years ago with xp on alot more than that!!

What makes me mad is the fact that they are pulling weight to FORCE you into buying another pc or windows 7 and that is just wrong!! They made the decision to upgrade the system of xp to another operating system they should still honour the older system they provided which you paid for when you purchased your pc. Now if they turned around and said ok we will give you windows 7 for your old version of xp then i could accept that but they havent they have just scrapped it and said sod you lot upgrade or get all your personal details hacked!!

They are giving you 3 years whoopy do!! You should keep that operating system live forever as when you sold xp in the first place you never said that you will be stopping the support of this system in a few years. And before anyone says hang on what about the xbox and the xbox 360 or the ps1 and ps2 and 3 well you know that when you buy a games console that a new one will come out but you can still use that console. Online with a pc that has xp will be possible but will have so many risks involved its just suicide to do.

MS grow up you made this bed now lie in it!!

Diablo13
14-07-2011, 09:46 PM
Agreed on all points!
Having legally bought Vista, which was out of date in two years, with no warning, I should have been entitled to a free upgrade to Win 7!
It never happened, so its Microshafts own fault when many people like me refuse to be twice bitten and find other methods of getting their new OS's!

Pejazzle
14-07-2011, 10:40 PM
Very good points made tinkertiler.

I have a 7 year old laptop that i use and I payed over ?700 for it when it was brand new and it still in perfectly good working order. It is rubbish in todays market, as its only got 70GB hard drive and 512 RAM. But as i said its working perfectly good a cost me a lot of money why should i be forced to changed?

Rikirani
20-07-2013, 07:46 PM
This suddenly seems more relevant, as the time is now running out! I use XP for work as that is what gets supported by software owners for our business. However, I need to change to Windows 7. What is a sensible spec for a server powering 5 computers?

Brjbrjbrj
22-07-2013, 06:38 PM
This is going to cost a lot of businesses a lot of money. I think all of my employers over the last 10 years (small private firms to large public organisations) have all used xp. I certainly think this policy could send some businesses under or leave them without adequate security in the long term.

Saying all that, I suppose xp couldn't go on forever.