PDA

View Full Version : free sky hd box

dumbf
30-06-2011, 11:28 AM
Had sky offer me hd TV for 12 months free with a brand new hd box to replace my existing sky+ box, offer too good to miss as I'm sure you will agree however the new box (Amstrad) has very little volume and I find I have to crank up the TV just to hear it, does anyone else surfer this? is there a mod? I have called sky and an engineer said that this is a known concern and lots of people have complained. I have put an optical lead through my amp but why should I have to play the amp just to watch normal TV?

Spinifex
30-06-2011, 11:41 AM
They use cheap parts and amstrad are cheap boxes, i have a smiliar issue with a clone dm500 box, there is a fix for dm500 but that involved making a small pcb board with a few bits and bobs on it and then of course soldering that to wherever else.

You wont be able to fix the amstrad, however you can freely purchase another box off ebay and get sky to pair your card for free to that 2nd box.
your original box will become useless for your subscription and after 12 months of ownership you can sell it.

Until 12 months is up the amstrad remains property of sky so a mod would not be allowed anyway?

Spin.

thelostone
30-06-2011, 12:36 PM
Is the amstrad connected to your tv via hdmi? because everyone these days wants flat screen tvs , there is not a great deal of room for speakers thats why a lot of them look brill but sound crap.At least you can listen to 5.1 sound through your amp which you will not get through your tv,having said that i would contact sky and complain to them see what they say

dumbf
01-07-2011, 02:11 PM
yes set through hdmi but so is my PS3 and if i watch say iplayer or itv player the sound is fine. My tv is one of the current Sony range with hd freeview built in and again sound is fine although signal a little weak (i must get my aerial mounted outside) I guess it must be just another crap amstrad product

Diablo13
01-07-2011, 04:58 PM
My Sky + HD box is an Amstrad as well and I have no trouble with it.
That being said I leave the volume on it at max, then run it through my AV amp to adjust the volume that way.

VastGsm
01-07-2011, 10:53 PM
Whoch Amstrade model and hardware rev?
Have you tried to force a firmware update?

Spinifex
02-07-2011, 07:58 PM
I doubt firmware can fix something thats crap in the 1st place!?

same with my ps3, it does less now than it originally did, ps3 is now also crap lol

adamftw
12-09-2011, 01:42 AM
i had the same box installed but no problem for me.