PDA

View Full Version : Worth upgrading HDD

GazakJnr
16-06-2011, 02:29 AM
just wondering if anyone who changed out the HDD of the original fat PS3 had any problems afterwards. What with digital downloads of games starting to run outta space... Fast.

pande_monium
27-06-2011, 05:25 PM
Yes, well worth it. Particularly if you like to save songs/videos on the PS3 as it serves as a Media server as well.
You'll need a SATA 2.5" drive (the usual laptop ones). You should be able to use the new 1Tb ones easily... though I've tried only with the 500gb one... no reason why you can't use the 1Tb drive.

Alternative is to use a simple USB drive. Easily available upto 2Tb these days (the desktop drives I mean).

I'd backup all you games saved data, etc if I were you.

Here's a good how-to link >> http://vgstrategies.about.com/od/ps3cheatsandcodes/a/PS3HDDDriveSwap.htm

JimFiggs
27-06-2011, 09:55 PM
I wonder if there's some gain in having a NAS drive attached to your router, you then get the benefit of storage for your console, but the space can be shared across your home network?

That way you can enjoy the economies of scale offered by buying a massive drive but give it multiple uses?

Jim

GazakJnr
15-01-2012, 04:11 AM
Finally got round to it. What seems to be like a 20min job ended up taking house cos of the damned screws in the HDD caddy. Now to enjoy all the space I finally have

HamStar50
19-01-2012, 05:41 PM
Definately a well worth upgrade. I upped mine to 500GB not too long ago as I jailbroke my unit and downloads we're gobbling up space like no tomorrow. I've since gone legit for the PSN access by formatting the hard drive and starting over with all the games i've got. Installed the lot and already hitting near 320GB of used space which just goes to show the average user (as I am..i've got around 30 games) still need more than most of the default HDD configurations that are available.

cheesyduck
24-01-2012, 03:56 AM
I'm pretty sure that replacing the HDD doesn't void the warranty if anyone is worried about that.

Matthew John Meadowcroft
12-06-2012, 12:17 AM
I'm pretty sure that replacing the HDD doesn't void the warranty if anyone is worried about that.

Correct, it is actually detailed in the PS3 manual. However, damaging the PS3 whilst attempting to do this would of course void the warranty.

Feelinhot
14-06-2012, 11:42 PM
I've been thinking about doing this myself but have always been put off because I've not known if any specific hard drive is good/bad to use. Does anyone have any recommendation from personal experience? Thanks

Matthew John Meadowcroft
15-06-2012, 02:12 AM
I've been thinking about doing this myself but have always been put off because I've not known if any specific hard drive is good/bad to use. Does anyone have any recommendation from personal experience? Thanks

Segate, 5400RPM. Would be my choice. A faster drive will generate more heat. Heat does not sit very well with the PS3's especially the originals.

douglaswalkers
16-06-2012, 08:37 AM
I have dell latitude CPi D266XT including 4GB hard drive disk but I want more space than 4GB. It is possible to check applicable for ROM but here how can I do this for HDD. Can anyone give me suggestion?

wannawatchtele
01-07-2012, 02:52 AM
I was curious if you could use a HDD by USB? Like an external one I mean?

Onpoint
02-07-2012, 11:35 AM
You sure can - here's a step by step guide to set it up correctly in order for the ps3 to read it properly.

http://www.wikihow.com/Add-an-External-Hard-Drive-to-a-PlayStation-3