PDA

View Full Version : Some feedback on a recent site policy change

Diablo13
11-06-2011, 09:33 PM
With regards to some recently implemented site changes:

Firstly we seem to be getting a lot of new members signing up.
That is a good thing,
but,
as Reddevil mentioned in another thread, many are making just the needed one post in order to access the adult codes.
Now to me that seems pointless because I spend my time welcoming many people who never acknowledge any welcomes and never post again.
They just say hi and go on to leach the codes as they have always done!
Of course I am glad to see many new members here, but I don't know if it actually benefits the site to have yet more non contributing members?

Firstly the welcome post did not used to be a contributing thread to the post count and I think we should go back to that system?
With so many new members I have taken to copy and pasting a standard greeting, perhaps just changing the members name, something I never did before. Many others are doing the same, in order to just keep on top of the new welcome posts, which I think is understandable.
That adds to all of our post counts, really quite pointlessly because in another thread they would be deleted and the "just use the Thank You button" message posted by a mod!
Such a post from any of us is not a good post in the true sense, it is just endlessly repeated politeness.
I am not saying we shouldn't welcome new members, we have now allowed gmail account access, so we are getting more members joining anyway, but I would like them to join for the right reasons and be proper members of the site, not just lurkers!
It still takes time to welcome new members, which is often wasted when the new member doesn't even acknowledge it and this leads me on to the second point in this suggestion.

We used to have a 5 good posts policy before full access was granted and I think we should re implement that policy?
After all if a member can't manage 5 posts, they are hardly going to be able to continue to add to the site in the long term?
We used to require 15 good posts when I joined after all!
That wasn't necessarily a bad thing, because it meant people had time to get used to posting, finding their way round the site and getting to know the names and styles of other members in a community type way.
Not to knock the many current good members we have today, but there used to be a lot more quality discussions and long general threads back then?
I really don't want to be negative about this, we want new members, but we don't want a huge database of non contributing members!

Full marks to everyone for the site changes so far, now I think we need to enhance membership conditions a bit more, in order to get the new members we really want?
At the moment I am getting the slight feeling of being an unpaid whore.............................. giving everything on a promise, then having the client run away without paying!

Reddevil
11-06-2011, 09:54 PM
Ah the good old days lol

Well my feelings towards the posting limits is you need to make at least an intro post to gain access to some but not all areas, currently these are :

Freeview & Codes Areas
Satellite Downloads

The option may rise to add more areas.

This is just a test thing at the moment and will be reviewed soon, it may turn out a higher limit is needed and it will then be imposed, that will be down to the team to decide. We temporarily removed the intro posts from none to contributing to see how things go.

Our main aim with the upgrade and new look and feel is to get people to join, which they are, however as in many things you do get people after just one thing and run (this can be said for any forums).

We have the unique feature at being TRUE FREE FORUM, unlike some which charge for freeview code access for example, or VIP status. WE dont. We do accept donations but its optional and all goes to run the site.

You can rest assured tho Diablo we are watching and monitoring what new members are doing ;)

Nice post too ;)

Diablo13
11-06-2011, 10:16 PM
It's been a while since the 'what do you think of the new look site' thread was posted, so consequently it gets moved naturally to the back pages with the older threads.
I thought it was about time us members commented again on the changes so far, 'from an outside the management' perspective?
I know you all value constructive criticism here, so I thought I would give some.
Seeing as everyone seems to be out at the pub and I am not.
Just thought I would make use of the site, which is a useful and cheap resource for entertainment and do something useful.
I never got into Dr. Kawashima, so this is my alternative brain training! :nerd: :st:

Spinifex
11-06-2011, 10:19 PM
Theres a simpler way, dont require any posts to the freeview section like before, hey problem solves in 1 paragraph.

or you could make them pay for vip which wont just include codes but would inlcude more benefits, you know... dodgier stuff!?
adult videos/links rs/nzb accounts or free public clines or other.. or something i dont know but just saying.

it wouldnt really matter how many posts you made it to stop leechers as im sure i could find any old crap to post to lure my way into any forum.
i think personally this site hasnt made any dollar this month or last then maybe a 1 off donation would allow permanent vip.
maybe paying is just an alternative idea with yet another new method aswell in place.

i for one diablo was a paster greeter because its ridiculous, but now youve brought it to my attention that there doing it for just codes is just ridiculous.
unless the admin start listening to the people that say things about this forum then there on a hiding to nowhere.
red could make a change quite easily but of course he will need to consult the family lol
back in my admin days i called meetings to discuss these matters, its easy enough its called msn.

Spin.

p.s if sum1 dont shoot talkalot i will lol

Diablo13
11-06-2011, 10:44 PM
Post counts is one way of cutting the wheat from the chaff Spini, but it's not perfect either because as you say some people can always find drivel to post:wasntme: until they get what they want!

The site in general is against paid subscriptions, I have suggested it before, but we can be proud of being a completely FREE site.

I know he doesn't need it, but I have to say in Reds defence that he spends a lot of time on here, during which he does listen and act on members suggestions as appropriate. He provides WOD radio as well as many of the respected's upload perks.
For many reasons like that I was glad to see him promoted recently.

That's not brown nosing, just credit where credit is due!

Spinifex
11-06-2011, 10:51 PM
Dont lie diablo you love him!!!!

i know what your saying m8, and i hope he and other admin take on board what we/you/us and more say here.
something will surely be done to cut down the mass introductions just to gain access.

more to the point who set it to 1 post for access? that is way too low peeps.
i can see why they have done it because its clearly had that effect.

im not moaning because its not in my job description to greet people but i do sometimes...
i think a 1 off donation would be a good idea, lets face it no need to post and get lifetime vip?

every little helps..

Diablo13
11-06-2011, 11:12 PM
i think a 1 off donation would be a good idea, lets face it no need to post and get lifetime vip?

I agree with the first part of that statement, however, no need to post is against the whole principle of a forum!
As was explained to me recently, the prominence and reputation of a site is earned by it's popularity, the amount of traffic to the site, degree of searches for the site etc etc and there are even league tables for sites kept somewhere.
I learned that very recently, so it shows that what we see on the face of it and think are good ideas, may not always be the case when you have the bigger picture. :-?

Reddevil
11-06-2011, 11:15 PM

It might work but would it get past the board of directors lol

We are open to ideas in anycase :)

Diablo13
11-06-2011, 11:43 PM
Just to prove a point, a couple of minutes after Red posted codes we have the most popularly browsed thread on the site, by far!
I am the only 'Respected' on that list, the others you will see in the welcome new members thread, and I never use the codes, I just go there to thank the uploaders for their work supporting the site!

There are currently 9 users browsing this thread. (9 members and 0 guests)

Diablo13 (To view links or images in this forum your post count must be 1 or greater. You currently have 0 posts. albchong (To view links or images in this forum your post count must be 1 or greater. You currently have 0 posts. badass (To view links or images in this forum your post count must be 1 or greater. You currently have 0 posts. Cathedrow (To view links or images in this forum your post count must be 1 or greater. You currently have 0 posts. cooldude (To view links or images in this forum your post count must be 1 or greater. You currently have 0 posts. darth vadar (To view links or images in this forum your post count must be 1 or greater. You currently have 0 posts. garadek (To view links or images in this forum your post count must be 1 or greater. You currently have 0 posts. T2ben (To view links or images in this forum your post count must be 1 or greater. You currently have 0 posts. teelgirl (http://www.world-of-digital.com/forums/member.php?20087-teelgirl)

DessertDog
12-06-2011, 09:03 AM
Post counts is one way of cutting the wheat from the chaff Spini, but it's not perfect either because as you say some people can always find drivel to post:wasntme: until they get what they want!

The site in general is against paid subscriptions, I have suggested it before, but we can be proud of being a completely FREE site.

I know he doesn't need it, but I have to say in Reds defence that he spends a lot of time on here, during which he does listen and act on members suggestions as appropriate. He provides WOD radio as well as many of the respected's upload perks.
For many reasons like that I was glad to see him promoted recently.

That's not brown nosing, just credit where credit is due!

I agree 100% with this post RED And Fergals are doing a great job we all know its not easy but i must say im peed of with all the 1 post welcome and have given up trying to keep up with them.

Spinifex
12-06-2011, 09:11 AM
Well lets just say the test period for 1 post is over and flawed to heck.

make it 10 reddevil and lets try that lol

@ diablo of course people would post eventually because they always crawl out the woodwork, especially when theres been no update lol

Pejazzle
12-06-2011, 04:26 PM
Just thought id add my 2 cents to this, I think its best not to have the mandatory 1 post, its probably best to leave it down to people if they want to post or not instead of forcing them to post something which they may not want to. Other only choice that I can see is making the codes sections a paid area.

Diablo13
13-06-2011, 02:47 AM
Ok paj but think of it another way;
Why should all the admin, mods, respected's and good members put in the work and effort to make this a thriving site for people who are too lazy to post?
It's always been that people want something for nothing, fair enough me as well, but this site is free anyway so they could at least be grateful enough to support it! :mad:
If you opened a sweet shop, would you let people walk in and take what they want without paying, knowing full well they would be back tomorrow to do it again?

I hate being taken for a mug, as we are.
Put all the codes in the section for people that have earned access to them, or as used to be the case new members have to ask a mod for permission to access them? Then the mods can decide if they have earned the privilege of being allowed access!
If new members don't accept those basics, they can go and beat themselves somewhere else. :p
Personally I think we would be better with less members, than a site full of w**kers?

Gazer
13-06-2011, 10:27 AM
We are looking into the ways of policing this and stopping the leeches once and for all

Pejazzle
13-06-2011, 12:20 PM
Ok paj but think of it another way;
Why should all the admin, mods, respected's and good members put in the work and effort to make this a thriving site for people who are too lazy to post?
It's always been that people want something for nothing, fair enough me as well, but this site is free anyway so they could at least be grateful enough to support it! :mad:
If you opened a sweet shop, would you let people walk in and take what they want without paying, knowing full well they would be back tomorrow to do it again?

I hate being taken for a mug, as we are.
Put all the codes in the section for people that have earned access to them, or as used to be the case new members have to ask a mod for permission to access them? Then the mods can decide if they have earned the privilege of being allowed access!
If new members don't accept those basics, they can go and beat themselves somewhere else. :p
Personally I think we would be better with less members, than a site full of w**kers?

Good idea with people earning access to it.