PDA

View Full Version : Gas and Electricity Price Hikes

ikon
30-07-2006, 12:41 PM
Folks,

with the gas and electricity bills taken a big increase and more to follow is there any good deals the power companies are doing that you are aware of?

Also is anything to be wary of when signing up to these deals?

Any feedback would be great. Otherwise I will be chopping ones of my kids up for firewood this winter.
:)

Shipoftheline
30-07-2006, 12:55 PM
After the last British Gas increase I tried uSwitch.com: Search, switch & save on all your home services and financial products (To view links or images in this forum your post count must be 1 or greater. You currently have 0 posts. and then switched to EDF they locked by tarriff till 2008. If the Gas/Electric prices do come down its free to leace the price lock and take avantage of lower prices. I did think about using British Gas's but they wanted %u00A375 to leave any price fix

stargazer
05-09-2006, 10:25 AM
Same is happening over here in ireland soon, gas and electricity going up! i know the cost of producing electricity is rising for us over here and therewithin lies the reason - but 25% i think i heard will be a big difference when the bill comes through the door.

Shipoftheline
05-09-2006, 11:25 AM
Same is happening over here in ireland soon, gas and electricity going up! i know the cost of producing electricity is rising for us over here and therewithin lies the reason - but 25% i think i heard will be a big difference when the bill comes through the door.

What gets me angry is the idiots getting paid a fortune to come up with the idea's of creating more gas powered electricity plants. We have enough coal reserve's to last us for about 200yrs they want us to be held to ransom by Russia and europe

smelltheglove
05-09-2006, 12:30 PM
What gets me angry is the idiots getting paid a fortune to come up with the idea's of creating more gas powered electricity plants. We have enough coal reserve's to last us for about 200yrs they want us to be held to ransom by Russia and europe

But they really want us to get away from the whole fossil fuels thing, 200 years of coal is ok for us, but the whole thing is about thinking of future generations

i cant remember which form of nuclear power is safer fusion or fission, but more research needs to be carried out into the safer one, as i think nuclear is the way to go.

Shipoftheline
05-09-2006, 12:42 PM
But they really want us to get away from the whole fossil fuels thing, 200 years of coal is ok for us, but the whole thing is about thinking of future generations

I agree but their are ways to make coal safer to the enviroment now with moderm technology ;)

While 'clean coal' energy sounds a contradiction in terms, the technology exists and is getting more efficient. Primarily this works by 'carbon capture' and its burial underground. Two prototype clean coal fired power stations are to be built in Britain. Coal remains by far the most abundant and cheapest fuel on the planet. Many power stations in the United states already use this technology, (the US plans to increase it's coal burning by 40% by 2023). In the battle against global climate change, this will be a particularly important technology for developing nations such as China and India, where most electricity is produced from coal burning stations, with the subsequent high carbon emissions.

Workers Power | News (To view links or images in this forum your post count must be 1 or greater. You currently have 0 posts. i cant remember which form of nuclear power is safer fusion or fission, but more research needs to be carried out into the safer one, as i think nuclear is the way to go.

I think its fusion but its years off yet which mean's we need something now until thats ready. I think it was a couple of years back I remember seeing something on TV about thre research of fusion, France and Japan fighting about which country will be the base for the research and yes you guessed it France got its way again

Tallywadger
05-09-2006, 02:11 PM
What pisses me off is that the goverment tax us for using it! we need to heat the house/water so how is that not a neccessity which does not warrant tax? Bloody government!!! Yea lets give ourselves a 30% increase in pay so the rises in gas wont affect us oh by the way the public sector wages are not allowed to go above 3%.........yet gas is going up by 25% in 18months!!!! grrrrrr!

Shipoftheline
05-09-2006, 02:14 PM
What pisses me off is that the goverment tax us for using it! we need to heat the house/water so how is that not a neccessity which does not warrant tax? Bloody government!!! Yea lets give ourselves a 30% increase in pay so the rises in gas wont affect us oh by the way the public sector wages are not allowed to go above 3%.........yet gas is going up by 25% in 18months!!!! grrrrrr!

Thats a bloody good point Tallywadger, the energy companys are not the only ones milking us here because as the proces go up so does the amount the Government make. If anything now the Government should lower the tax rates on energy while the prices are sky high

Tallywadger
05-09-2006, 10:20 PM
They should halt the tax on Gas/ electricity altogether..should never have been put on in the first place....

anothernoobie
06-09-2006, 04:15 PM
i think we have to spare a thought for our pensioners.
most of em worked all their lives for a totally crappy pension and can barely afford to feed themselves, do they eat or heat up the house.

i thhink its disgusting the way our oap's are treated by the government,and no i am not a pensioner but i did have grandparents once, who fought for the country worked hard and had a crappy deal when it was their turn to get something back

redbarony
07-09-2006, 07:34 PM
i was on npower dual fuel and they are way cheaper than BG,but i have just changed to scottish and southern as they claim to provide more eco energy than the rest and they have fixed my prices till 2010 they will charge you if you switch away from em during this period,but they are about the same as npower price wise but npower are thinking about increasing their prices.

Plebster
07-09-2006, 11:44 PM
prices have sky rocketed - gonne invest in some wind power methinks :wink:

Diablo13
08-09-2006, 04:07 AM

We might all be relying on wind power soon. All we will be able to afford will be beans and beer so as long as you dont have a sensitive nose at least the farts will keep the house warm :9:. Warmer than the farts in government want us to have it anyway. :( :o)'s.

Shipoftheline
08-09-2006, 07:50 AM

Now this is another thing that makes me laugh. The envirmentalist's complain about them because they don't look pretty so the Government put them at see too and then they complain about that!

Diablo13
09-09-2006, 05:33 PM
Now this is another thing that makes me laugh. The envirmentalist's complain about them because they don't look pretty so the Government put them at see too and then they complain about that!

:lol: Thats because they live in trees and don't need electricity to heat water for washing or anything as boring as that. If you live on squirrels nuts and stolen goats milk and live in a tree house with no rent, why would you need to save money? You only have your "grass" bills to worry about. :)v-

mickm
16-09-2006, 03:49 PM
I am spending 50% more on Electricity since the price hike. It is scanderlass if you ask me.

Something should be done to stop them charging so much.

Shipoftheline
16-09-2006, 03:52 PM
Story on the news said the gas price's are now coming down and a new pipeline is due to open. Problem is the gas companies have already paid for out winter gas so price's wont be coming down just yet

Diablo13
16-09-2006, 08:53 PM
I have wondered for some time now why all the waste heat from steel works, cooling towers etc, is just allowed to dissipate in the air. I dont see why its not possible to channel that wasted energy down rather than up, through pipes and filters etc to either produce more electricity in a recycling sort of way, or be channelled underneath houses to provide cheap heat to a localised area?
Instant result to cheaply heat hospitals, old peoples homes or whatever and no crap being released into the air. Everyones a winner. You can bet if they did a scheme like that though it would be used to heat government swimming pools instead. :bomb:

mickm
16-09-2006, 11:31 PM
I for one cant wait for them to fall.

Not_much_cop
16-09-2006, 11:43 PM
I too cant wait for the prices to fall, it is costing me a fortune to run my outdoor pool.

Maybe I will have to close it early for the winter.
Shame as you do get the odd hot day when it would be great to be able to just dive in with out having to first put on a wetsuit.

NMC

Shipoftheline
17-09-2006, 12:13 AM
I too cant wait for the prices to fall, it is costing me a fortune to run my outdoor pool.
Maybe I will have to close it early for the winter.
Shame as you do get the odd hot day when it would be great to be able to just dive in with out having to first put on a wetsuit.
NMC

Oh I know I've had to close both my outdoor pools now I only have the indoor one open

ikon
20-09-2006, 03:46 PM
"Wholesale gas costs, the price energy firms pay for reserves, have plummeted by a quarter and electricity by a third. "

Reading the attached article it looks like anyone who has signed up with Scottish gas fixed tariff is going to stuffed when the prices start to go down.
:gun:

However we all have the possibility of another 20% price hike before this. :bomb:

The Daily Record - NEWS - IT'S A FIX (http://www.dailyrecord.co.uk/news/tm_objectid=17777393&method=full&siteid=66633&headline=it-s-a-fix--name_page.html)

Shipoftheline
20-09-2006, 04:49 PM
"Wholesale gas costs, the price energy firms pay for reserves, have plummeted by a quarter and electricity by a third. "
Reading the attached article it looks like anyone who has signed up with Scottish gas fixed tariff is going to stuffed when the prices start to go down.
:gun:
However we all have the possibility of another 20% proce hike before this. :bomb:
The Daily Record - NEWS - IT'S A FIX (To view links or images in this forum your post count must be 1 or greater. You currently have 0 posts. Yes I noticed that so I never signed I went to EDF instead.

ikon
21-09-2006, 08:10 AM
Yes I noticed that so I never signed I went to EDF instead.

The attached prices per units are only valid for last week. However EDF looks to be one of the more expensive options. Atlantic and Npower look to be the best but unsure how long the rate lasts and is it only a introductory.

Anyone done the sums and came up with the best deal to go with?

Atlantic
gas
3.15p (first 4572)
2.23p
elec
15.09p (first 900)

npower
gas
3.821p (first 4572)
2.149p
elec
18.74(first 900)
8.02p

scottish power
gas
3.46p (first 4572)
2.62p
elec
15.10p (first 900)
10.30p

edf
gas
4.127p (first 5860)
2.596p
elec
16.968 (first 900)

Shipoftheline
21-09-2006, 09:40 AM
The attached prices per units are only valid for last week. However EDF looks to be one of the more expensive options. Atlantic and Npower look to be the best but unsure how long the rate lasts and is it only a introductory.
Anyone done the sums and came up with the best deal to go with?

Atlantic
gas
3.15p (first 4572)
2.23p
elec
15.09p (first 900)
npower
gas
3.821p (first 4572)
2.149p
elec
18.74(first 900)
8.02p
scottish power
gas
3.46p (first 4572)
2.62p
elec
15.10p (first 900)
10.30p
edf
gas
4.127p (first 5860)
2.596p
elec
16.968 (first 900)

Yes I signed before the last two price increase's so I'm happy for now. At the time I used Uswitch.com and they beat everyone for what I used

jacksnap
29-10-2006, 09:42 AM
I was tempted to buy some of these solar panels or a windmill, but when i looked into it the cost vs payback is crazy! and in many cases was more than the lifetime of the product, so you would end up paying more!

Shipoftheline
29-10-2006, 11:42 AM
I was tempted to buy some of these solar panels or a windmill, but when i looked into it the cost vs payback is crazy! and in many cases was more than the lifetime of the product, so you would end up paying more!

They worked it out on the news, the windmill costs you more because of the high cost of purchase

Hitman
30-10-2006, 04:41 PM
Anyone got a spare gas meter?

thorz
02-11-2006, 09:33 PM
i read somewhere that the uk has so much gas they are having to export it so how can british gas justify the rises

pando
05-11-2006, 04:29 AM
this probably be right...natural resaurses...profit keep going up.......

IceRhine
14-11-2006, 01:15 AM
I heard that they are bringing it in in soo many ways that by next year they could drop it 50% and not take any losses, bet they dont tho...once its up..its up

Shipoftheline
14-11-2006, 01:59 AM
I heard that they are bringing it in in soo many ways that by next year they could drop it 50% and not take any losses, bet they dont tho...once its up..its up

Those with BG price protection will have to pay ?75 to leave that early

Yes always read the small print :troutslap: