PDA

View Full Version : water conservation

cactikid
06-06-2011, 12:55 AM
things will start to happen again soon whether we like it or not,who got their water cut off and now i find out new water charges are coming,i have just seen this at the local blooms festival and was very interested,many of you should think ahead

http://www.halstedrain.com/rainwater-products.html

Diablo13
06-06-2011, 02:03 AM
Those actually make quite a lot of sense for some properties and heavy water users.
I didn't read all the products specifics, but I do wonder about an outside water collection tank which would probably freeze up in winter?

Imagine how full your toilet would get if you had to wait for it to thaw out before you could flush! :greennao: :D

cactikid
06-06-2011, 09:18 AM
you would have it empty in winter as there would be no need to store water ,everything outside would be wet enough,interesting point if left filled.
main use i would think would be from may-october when the drought may appear.

Spinifex
06-06-2011, 11:36 AM
I know this is good if your on a water meter, were not and we pay extremly high prices around here and hasnt changed for years. so we use as much as we like whenever we like. we will never run out of water as at some point like most years itll rain for ages sooner or later. why dont they just do what other countrys have started doing? clean up sea water and pump that to houses? yes its more expensive but one day we will have to do it anyway.

and yes it would freeze up without question.. our water butts were solid and the pond was like 10 inches deep this last winter and lost no end of fish even tho i had no choice but to either smash my way in or use bowls and bowls of hot water.

i think every single loo on earth should use rainwater, i dont agree using rain water for a washing machine tho!
isnt it true that the uk is the only place that uses fresh water for toilets? something like that anyway.

Spin.

p.s the faq talks about freezing, although they try and get out of it, it can and would freeze during our real bad period http://www.halstedrain.com/Q%26A%20Urban%20rainwater%20harvesting%20rev2.pdf

cactikid
06-06-2011, 04:08 PM
they are talking about water shortages already in dublin and where i am going to put it would be close for downstairs loo,wont use it on washine machine,plenty of plants may need watering also,in dublin last year temp went down to -18 never had that before frozen water pipes burst all over the place,one reason to empty for winter.

Spinifex
06-06-2011, 04:12 PM
lets be realistic tho here, who are you actually trying to save money?

you? on a meter? if yes, your still having to buy this product, water board should pay for it imho!
if you do this out your own pocket and not on a meter then you want your head testing.

just get yourself a water butt or convert an old bin or something alot cheaper.
if the water gets cutoff you can use that water to wash away your poop and water the flowers lol

just being realistic.

Diablo13
06-06-2011, 10:06 PM
If you are on a meter as I am, you actually save quite a lot of money in a year, compared to un-metered costs!
The best uses for these storage tanks is for watering gardens or allotments, and other non essential non hygiene related uses.
As Spini said it would be cheaper to install a butt for those purposes.
If you have a very large house, own stables or kennels and the like, or run some businesses like perhaps your own pub or cafe involving public use of toilets then they could be useful to you in the long run. Unfortunately you would then need a very large storage tank, which would be expensive, though it still might be cost effective over the years when you are paying business rates to your supplier?

Although we are famous for complaining about our weather, I doubt we actually get enough rainfall to make these smaller units practical as a full time alternative to mains water supplies. Though they may still save you money as a backup, you have to take into account that the most expensive part of your supply is the treatment of water going out of your property!
Suppliers would no doubt take into account this sewage treatment value, no matter where the water initially came from.

The most effective use of these products is in poorer hot countries, where you get regular long periods of drought, followed by monsoon seasons?
Taking in costs of buying and installing these systems, overall I think the main value of these systems is in export to other countries, not in the UK or Ireland's temperate weather conditions!
If you get a dry spell and suffer from a lack of water, then the water suppliers should be taken to task for wasting so much of it and putting profits above maintenance of their pipes and systems!

cactikid
07-06-2011, 01:48 AM
in dublin last year plants in pots and greenhouses got very dry with the exceptional weather and dry spell,i have barrels and butts,mustgive them a good cleanout again for use,other localities were rationed,we were not,we have no say in water meters they are getting fitted