PDA

View Full Version : ps3 will not read disc (disc not spinning)

thelostone
28-05-2011, 10:38 PM
As above guys my grandson has the old type ps3 and he can connect to the web ect but when he inserts a disc it will not play and dose not spin.I have read and been told that it could well be the laser,may be it needs a clean? any ideas?thanks for looking

Diablo13
29-05-2011, 02:12 AM
I don't know much about the PS3 m8, but if its not spinning its not the laser.
Must be either the drive motor or the drive motor belt which has gone?
When you switch it on with a disc in, can you feel the case vibrating as it spins up?

If not its a fairly major repair job to replace the motor I think.
Or maybe you could open the casing to check the belt?

tinkertiler
29-05-2011, 08:24 AM
It will more than likely be the laser im afraid as the PS3 has a issue with burning them out. And they aint very cheap to get a new one as they are blue ray.

Spinifex
29-05-2011, 12:58 PM
i had this problem too, all i had top right was a spinning logo on the screen. it was the old type drive where it just sucked disks in forward and new ones rotate as they go in.

i think the motor packed up as it was very quiet, didnt appear to be the laser in my case!
rang sony and they quoted a ridiculous price.

if i were you id sell it as faulty and buy another new one as they are cheaper than when mine broke.

Spin.

grantstrouther1982
29-05-2011, 02:32 PM
i had the exact same problem on my fat 40gb ps3 it would take in the discs but didnt recognise them. sony also quoted me a ridiculous repair price and the replacement of the drive or laser required me to dismantle the console before purchasing the new part as they used more than one drive and laser type during the life span of the 40gb model.

in the end i just shelled out for a new slim model and used the old one as a usb media player and internet browser in the bedroom, well until they jailbroke the ps3 and then it was put back in use with a 1tb external for loading games off of lol

only downside is that with a dead bluray drive backup compatibility is limited as you cant use a game in the drive to help with loading issues.

Diablo13
29-05-2011, 05:18 PM
@ tinkertiler
If the laser was faulty would that stop it spinning the disk?
Of course a faulty laser would stop it reading a disk, but I wouldn't have thought it would stop it spinning up to try reading it? :confused:
Just thinking logically.

tinkertiler
29-05-2011, 06:40 PM
If it doesnt know the disc is in there then yes it does. It is a slot drive unlike the 360 which is mechanical so im pretty sure the laser picks up the disc. Its a common fault on the PS3 seen loads of them like that but seeing as though it is between ?30 and ?50 for a new laser i wouldnt take the risk with it tbh. Get rid of it and get a xbox lol if the laser goes on that they are only ?8 pmsl

http://cgi.ebay.co.uk/PLAYSTATION-3-BLU-RAY-LASER-KES-400A-FIX-FAULTY-PS3-UK-/290569432004?pt=UK_VideoGames_VideoGameAccessories _VideoGameAccessories_JN&hash=item43a749abc4 in that listing it will tell you what laser it is that is needed

T2ben
13-06-2011, 11:12 PM
I had a similar problem about a year back with my old ps3, did turn out to be the laser in the end after quite a bit of investigation.