PDA

View Full Version : Google Android malware surges 400 per cent

thelostone
16-05-2011, 08:02 PM
worth keeping an eye out me thinks
There has been a 400 per cent increase in malware on Google's Android platform since the middle of last year and the problem is causing such concern that several Android anti-virus programs have been released.
There are over 200,000 applications on the Android Market today ? up from 50,000 a year ago ? but the huge growth in the platform has brought with it a rise in malicious apps designed to steal user data.
The issue highlights the flaws in Google's open, freewheeling approach compared to the tightly controlled nature of Apple's iTunes App Store.
The 400 per cent increase in malware figure is contained in a new study on mobile security released by Juniper Networks, which found that the application store was the biggest distribution point for malware on mobiles.
A malicious Android app known as DroidDream is believed to have infected about 50,000 Android users before Google began to remove it, with limited success.
"The last 18 months have produced a non-stop barrage of newsworthy threat events and while most had been aimed at traditional desktop computers, hackers are now setting their sights on mobile devices," said Jeff Wilson, principle analyst at Infonetics Research.
This week security firm Webroot released its Webroot Mobile Security for Android software, which is available on the Android Market. There is a free and paid version.
The Webroot software scans apps before they are installed to ensure they are safe, scans web links and URLs to block phishing attacks and can be used to remotely wipe all information from the phone in the event that it is stolen.
Security firm AVG has also released an Android anti-virus program.

Diablo13
16-05-2011, 08:55 PM
We can sometimes laugh about the likes of Sony being hacked, but really this is very serious in a quickly growing market!
The only way to properly keep your data safe is not to use some of the newest and best technology around.
Which is a real shame! :mad:

DessertDog
16-05-2011, 09:20 PM
I got a proggy called lookout checks for spyware and malware its free seems pretty good also run dr.web lite

Magnu420
16-05-2011, 09:42 PM
i thought this wasnt possible :-? as the os is based on a linux os but i could be wrong