PDA

View Full Version : Sony to restart its PlayStation Network by end of May

tinkertiler
10-05-2011, 06:52 PM
Sony is planning to restore its online PlayStation Network (PSN) in full by the end of May.

The company shut its online video game network on 20 April, after discovering a major security breach.

Spokesman Satoshi Fukuoka admitted the company had missed a self-imposed deadline of restarting a partial service by the weekend.

He said Sony continues to investigate the case, after personal details from 100 million accounts were compromised.

The company had originally hoped to restart some of the services on the PSN last week.

However, it then emerged that another large network - Sony Online Entertainment (SOE) - had also been compromised, potentially putting a further 25 million accounts at risk.

This is in addition to the 77 million accounts hacked on the PSN.

The discovery was a major set-back in the company's attempts to get the networks up and running again.

"We were unaware of the extent of the attack on Sony Online Entertainment servers," Sony's Head of Communications Nick Caplin wrote in a blog post.
Continue reading the main story
?Start Quote

I'm frustrated and upset by it?

Christian Svensson Capcom

"We are taking this opportunity to conduct further testing of the incredibly complex system."
'Frustrated and upset'

The extended downtime is causing headaches for businesses which rely on the PSN as a key distributor of their content.

Christian Svensson, Senior Vice-President of Capcom, shared his irritation with users on the Capcom-Unity forum.

"I'm frustrated and upset by it for a number of reasons," he wrote.

"As an executive responsible for running a business, the resulting outage [is] obviously costing us hundreds of thousands, if not millions of dollars in revenue that were planned for within our budget.

"These are funds we rely on to bring new games to market for our fans."

He said the knock-on effect of the hack makes it "impossible to be sympathetic to their 'cause'".
War of words

The latest announcement comes after a war of words with hacker group Anonymous over who is responsible for the attack.

The collective has suffered its own hacking issues after one disgruntled user known as "Ryan" apparently attacked the Internet Relay Chat channel used by the group to co-ordinate its activities.

A list of usernames and corresponding IP addresses has been published by "Ryan" on the AnonOps site.

In a letter to the US Congress last week, Sony accused "leaderless" Anonymous of orchestrating a distributed denial-of-service (DDoS) attack at the same time the data theft occured.

Sony claimed a file planted on the network bore the trademark Anonymous "We are legion" slogan.

The group retalliated, describing Sony as "incompetent".

"Whoever broke into Sony's servers to steal the credit card info and left a document blaming Anonymous clearly wanted Anonymous to be blamed for the most significant digital theft in history," the statement read.

Last month, US lawyers filed a lawsuit against Sony for negligent protection of personal data and failure to inform players in a timely fashion that their credit card information may have been stolen.

Mr Fukuoka declined to comment on the lawsuit.

http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/business-13304551

Diablo13
11-05-2011, 12:38 AM
It just gets better and better for Sony doesn't it! :hyst:
It doesn't really matter who hacked them, what matters is the fact that someone was able to hack them!
Sony are trying to pass the buck, so that they can try to reclaim some of the compensation they are having to pay out!
With the news that another Sony installation was also accessed separately, it just proves them incompetent and their security measures lacking and untrustworthy! :dunno:

tinkertiler
11-05-2011, 06:44 PM
If anyone is stupid enough to go on PSN after all this happening then they deserve to have there details stolen! Sony only have themselves to blame no one else! They put the security measures up which was not up to the job ! Someone got in and nicked the details sony are solely to blame because they was cutting corners with security!! They deserve all they get now rip the ps3 lol

Diablo13
11-05-2011, 07:47 PM
If anyone is stupid enough to go on PSN after all this happening then they deserve to have there details stolen!

Once they have slid out from under this mess and paid compensation, they will no doubt bring out offers and incentives to bring people back!
You can also bet on the fact that they will have the most secure servers anywhere in the very near future, as you can only wipe so much egg off your face, before your eyelids get stuck together! ;)

turner123
11-05-2011, 09:42 PM
yea you get to choose a game outa 4 or a free months psn+ pass!! they can have all my details, everytime i do a online sign up ie xbox psn etc i just make a new hotmail account n blag me details so in fact im annoymous to them :-D pmsl

my ps3 went 2 weeks ago traded in got a xbox again and need i say more tink was well happy i did that, (i needed to play fifa online) n psn wasnt up so ps3 had to go!!

tinkertiler
11-05-2011, 10:10 PM
I see on ebay there are loads and loads of ps3s lol and they are going for sod all too lol Just a shame they dont play blue rays better i would get one just for that but i had one for 2 hours and then got rid of it because the blue ray playback was horrid to say the least lol My xbox 360 and Blade 7000 sat box forfill all my playback needs now alot cheaper than the gaystation and alot safer pmsl

Turner you NEEEED PG4 then i will give you a race then lol Well when i get another console for online that is pmsl

Diablo13
11-05-2011, 10:40 PM
i just make a new hotmail account n blag me details so in fact im annoymous to them :-D pmsl

So now we know, it was turner the anonymous that hacked poor Sony's slush fund accounts! :-$ :hyst:

Timoweb
13-05-2011, 04:32 PM
Sony is a joke get it back online now you useless tossers and it :wasntme: