PDA

View Full Version : HMV launches games trade-in app for mobile

thelostone
21-04-2011, 07:26 PM
HMV has released its re/play app, which allows customers to check the value of their video games and consoles from a mobile phone.
The new app, developed by MoPowered of the Mobank group, lets you scan a barcode of the item with a built-in scanner, or search by entering details of the game or console type, to see what the item is worth. Details are then fed back with the most up-to-date price you could receive as credit.
Handily, the app keeps you up to date with other in-store offers going on, and it even helps you find your nearest HMV with a store locator.
"We're incredibly proud and excited to be the-first-to-UK-market with a games trade-in app for iPhone and Android," says HMV Games and Range Manager, Martin Baxter.
"This ground-breaking app will not only become a must-have download for current trade-in users, but will encourage a whole new range of customers who may have previously lacked the confidence or awareness to trade their games in."
Developers have never been a big fan of preowned games for one obvious reason - it means a consumer is not paying full price for a new copy - but for the more frugal consumer it is a great way to get the latest games, without shelling out the full recommended retail price.
The other big bonus from using the app is convenience. Instead of having to trapse down to your nearest store to see what offers are going on, you need only open an app, helping you plan the best day to go.
In recent times HMV has been feeling the pressure from online retailers like Amazon, Play and Zavvi. An attempt to capture an app-savvy audience may just help reinvigorate sales, assuming it gets mobile commerce right.
As a recent survey showed, 83 per cent of consumers are not happy with mobile transactions, which can have an impact on whether they return to a brand or not.
HMV Head of E-Commerce, Sarah Hughes, adds, "The relationship with our m-commerce partner Mobank has been a highly collaborative and supportive one, and their expertise and customer insights in this field are proving invaluable."
Re/play is available now as a free download for iOS and Android handsets

Diablo13
21-04-2011, 07:40 PM
HMV should concentrate on getting better more helpful staff, reducing their rippoff prices to match competitors and turning the "ambient" in store music down to the level of a dull roar!
I have a friend who used to use them all the time, until I introduced him to Play.com and Amazon. The prices are cheaper, they have more variety and they usually deliver on time!
Unlike HMV where in the past he has waited three weeks, for the delivery of a supposed in stock item. That's just not good enough.
The app sounds useful though, if only they gave you more than about 3 quid back for a fairly new game which might cost ?49 to buy originally. :cussing:

notanotherone
22-04-2011, 09:52 PM
am like you diablo i dont use hmv, same reasons too noisy over priced and **** rotten staff who when you ask a sensible question of say "can you wait a minute sir ill get someone to answer that for you" why cant they answer me AFDFSDGFGGFDGHFHGG