PDA

View Full Version : Important Announcement

Reddevil
19-03-2011, 02:47 PM
Hello all

We hope you received our recent email regarding World-of-Digitals upcoming upgrade and refurbishment.

We would really like you to leave us your feedback and add suggestions of whats wanted needed or what you would like to see in the future.

We have a wide variety of topics and as times change we feel its time for WOD to change with the times, so please leave us your feedback, it only takes a few minutes to post a few suggested catagories are:

Forums you would like added
Forums you would like gone
Features you have seen elsewhere and liked
Features we have you dont like

I think you get the idea so please feel free to voice your opinion

berley
20-03-2011, 12:00 PM
I'd like to see info about the most common used thread tags, I've noticed it on loads of forums its usually at the bottom of the forums.

I dont really like the thanks button either, I think its often easier just for peeps to hit it and possibly prevents them from adding other things in a reply.

10mg
20-03-2011, 12:12 PM
I think the cable section is dead imo apart from maybe modems?

A dedicated jailbreaking section for things not just apple fanboy's stuff. Other things get jailbroken/modded too you know!

I dont agree with berley (sorry B) but if the thanks button gets taken away then you'll have loads of threads with 'thanks' or nothing at all. Maybe the odd tumble-weed floating by lol

Maybe we could have a 'member of the week' where the person who's made the most interesting posts gets noticed? Excluding mods/admin/nao and previous winners? Did i mention Nao?

berley
20-03-2011, 12:19 PM
Some good points there 10mg, apart from disagreeing with me lol

A jailbreaking section sounds good, excuse my ignorance but what other things get jailbroken and modded ?

Member award sounds good as well :)

Reddevil
20-03-2011, 12:21 PM
A jailbreaking section sounds good, excuse my ignorance but what other things get jailbroken and modded ?

:)

G4S prisoners :rofl:

Serious note excellent points 10mg apart from the berley thing :p (she likes to be on top)

Ureyesonly
20-03-2011, 12:24 PM

The same could be said about the Sat section in same way but not as in it's dead more like some the sections could do with work in arrangement and more dedicated to each the boxes.

It's a growning section with cable dien and will get bigger if looked after.

10mg
20-03-2011, 12:26 PM
Serious note excellent points 10mg apart from the berley thing (she likes to be on top)

I like living on the edge.....

Kindles, other smartphones like the new win7 phone,folk are taking win7 off and putting android on......

nick2
20-03-2011, 05:19 PM
I think the sat section can be bigger and better.

DessertDog
21-03-2011, 09:37 AM

A dedicated jailbreaking section for things not just apple fanboy's stuff. Other things get jailbroken/modded too you know!

I dont agree with berley (sorry B) but if the thanks button gets taken away then you'll have loads of threads with 'thanks' or nothing at all. Maybe the odd tumble-weed floating by lol

Maybe we could have a 'member of the week' where the person who's made the most interesting posts gets noticed? Excluding mods/admin/nao and previous winners? Did i mention Nao?

I agree about the thanks button it gets used so why remove it also im not sure about the jail break stuff is this legal? to jail break i mean.

Diablo13
21-03-2011, 11:05 AM
jailbreaking section sounds good, excuse my ignorance but what other things get jailbroken and modded ?

DIVORCEE'S! :rofl:

When I logged on today i was aotomaticaly directed to this thread.
So why not have a members favourit section topics tick boxes in their profile, which worked in the same way?
Then when they first logon they automatically go to a list of new topics in their chosen subjects first?
Today's new posts cold be the default page?

The cable section should be adapted, rather than done away with.
For instance some freeview channels are available on cable, without subscription and a list of those channels could be published and updated as needed.

What about publishing a tv guide, with listings for the main channels at least?
That could be updated daily together with the frequencies the channels are on for people unaware of channel or last minute program changes?
It could also show PPV programes and where to find them.
On that note we could have members reviews of the new programs, with a synopsis of what it was about and programs given a members star rating from crap to great?
It could also state if it was a documentary, action, rom com, cartoon, teen, comedy, crime, Scfi Fi or whatever.
After all most people watch telly at some time, so it could be a great way to bring people in as a one stop shop for what to watch?

Another idea might be an IMDB links page, where members could post links to the latest whats on at the cinema, with a trailer?
If they had seen it they could then say what they thought of it and why!

We often have people posting links to things they have seen on YouTube, as a part of daily general threads.
So why dont we have a You Tube section, just for people to post their clips in?
It could even be sub headed, music vids, humour, news clips, games trailers etc, so people could go straight there for what they were looking for, then say what they thought of a clip?

Just a couple of ideas to chew over!

Gazer
21-03-2011, 11:20 AM
When I logged on today i was aotomaticaly directed to this thread.
Just a couple of ideas to chew over!

So it did work then lol ....i was :Hammer: my head yesterday trying to get this done.

Hunter
21-03-2011, 01:16 PM
cable is dying but the thanks button is a must :hot:

gazza2008
21-03-2011, 07:22 PM
I would Like my own racing/betting forum if poss....

Also we need a way of getting the TVX codes updated all the time that be good.

I dunno how about having NZBS on the site

gaz

Reddevil
21-03-2011, 07:30 PM
I would Like my own racing/betting forum if poss....

Also we need a way of getting the TVX codes updated all the time that be good.

I dunno how about having NZBS on the site

gaz

Can always rename the existing forum to suit i would think

TVX should be good to go now i got a new ariel so weeknights im about maybe just weekends when im on an early start, bezo and a few others seem to be doing a good job so far

We have them already look down the forum ;)

mercuryR
21-03-2011, 09:42 PM
I would really like to see a design section within WOD. Somewhere people can post their own designs and others designs.
We could make a section to do with website design/coding and general design. I really think it could help boost numbers.

Perhaps within this section we could hold contests where people post for work needed ( logo needed for a certain price) and we design them something. Ive seen this on many types of forums and think it could really help WOD gain popularity.

The "Thanks" button is good but perhaps we could have something where where people can give a credit point of some sort for making posts or completing a transaction or contest successfully.

mercuryR
21-03-2011, 10:10 PM
Also I think it would be good to utilise facebook and twitter (or any social network). I haven't really looked to much to see if you do have an official page on fb or twitter but I guarantee it would drive alot of traffic our way in the long run.

You wouldn't have to use the twitter account much just simply link the FB page or group to the twitter account. Then add icons for both some where near the top of the forum.

10mg
21-03-2011, 10:38 PM
yeah like the logo/graphics idea. Not good at graphics myself and sometimes on the lookout for decent priced work!

Reddevil
21-03-2011, 10:42 PM
Also I think it would be good to utilise facebook and twitter (or any social network). .

These options will be available once the site is updated, i think we tried twitter one but wasnt that good facebook works fine.

berley
21-03-2011, 10:47 PM
I haven't really looked to much to see if you do have an official page on fb or twitter but I guarantee it would drive alot of traffic our way in the long run.

I'm not aware of one, but I'd join it if you can join with a forum name and not your real name as I already have an account on facebook which is mostly used to view family photo's etc.

You wouldn't have to use the twitter account much just simply link the FB page or group to the twitter account. Then add icons for both some where near the top of the forum.

sounds promising, Nice to see you back and posting btw :)

mercuryR
21-03-2011, 11:29 PM
Well with regards to the design section I would be more than willing to look after much of it now im back with a little more time in life.

I would also be more than willing to start the FB and twit stuff up as it where I do alot of my current work, so it really wouldn't be to much of an effort to sort them aswell.

10mg I mainly do websites and designs so if you ever need work doing feel free to mail me on here. Also to make a contest section within WOD would be great imho.

Thanks Berley, its good to be back :D

Reddevil
22-03-2011, 12:05 AM
Facebook is already inbuilt so nothing to set up only the app which is taken care of.

You got any nice designs to share :)

cactikid
22-03-2011, 12:06 AM
cable is not dead yet kv working and now starview climbing out of the coffin with 9 channels lol,curious if you have many irish users here as i am pondering a combo box for use with sat and the new dtt service and to be able to set timer recordings.

mercuryR
22-03-2011, 02:49 AM
Im working on something for WOD as a new logo. Mainly to help bring in the new themes/threads. If the demand if high enough I would be willing to make a logo/banner for each section as a kind of visual aid.

I will mail Gazer and a few of the interested mods with ideas for designs. Perhaps we could work something out for how the new sections and layout wil be and ill come up with a design/logo?

Pejazzle
22-03-2011, 03:38 AM
Good luck with the upgrade!
Mercury sounds like a great idea new logo and designs would look cool.
I'm new here so I don't know if my opinion will count much but I think maybe you could have a section for wrestling?

DessertDog
22-03-2011, 09:54 AM
Good luck with the upgrade!
Mercury sounds like a great idea new logo and designs would look cool.
I'm new here so I don't know if my opinion will count much but I think maybe you could have a section for wrestling?
Every members opinion counts m8 and i love wrestling lol

Pejazzle
22-03-2011, 04:35 PM
Oh nice. I'll definitely contribute what I can if theres a wrestling section.

Spinifex
22-03-2011, 06:02 PM
A section for people like me!

nah i deffo have to disagree with taking the thanks button away, as said already you end up with short useless replys to original posts.

i think you already cover most topics so i dont see the issue with the forum personally.
all i ask is you "heighten" the shoutbox lol

Maybe add flashchat to the site? and keep the shoutbox for staff only?

Spin.

p.s keep adverts well away, i hate them ones that takeover the whole page and then you have to click here after a few seconds to carry on back to your forum/page!

renwich
22-03-2011, 11:03 PM
Cable section needs to stay its a bit dead but you never know whats round the corner, (was real busy When Hunter and Me looked after it :2drink:)

Sat section has loads of potential just needs some one to put some effort into it as with most sections

every where is quiet now that provides this sort of content, it rely's on the members and more so on the staff adding content that google searches pickup on.

The forum (imo) looks too expanded, too many sub sections visible, too in your face.

what about a Traders section where "Trusted" traders can sell their wares for a fee to the forum of course and obviously no conflict of interest with the site sponsor

berley
22-03-2011, 11:31 PM
The forum (imo) looks too expanded, too many sub sections visible, too in your face.

what about a Traders section where "Trusted" traders can sell their wares for a fee to the forum of course and obviously no conflict of interest with the site sponsor

can you explain further what you mean about the forum being too expanded, would you prefer to see tabs for downloads etc rather than sub sections ?

trusted traders is a good idea, but i reckon it should incur a fee for them to be able to trade ?

renwich
22-03-2011, 11:39 PM
can you explain further what you mean about the forum being too expanded, would you prefer to see tabs for downloads etc rather than sub sections ?

the section headers are ok but theres too many sections then sub sections, take for instance the cable section, and the sat section

trusted traders is a good idea, but i reckon it should incur a fee for them to be able to trade ?

Ain't that what I said

a Traders section where "Trusted" traders can sell their wares for a fee to the forum of course and obviously no conflict of interest with the site sponsor

Diablo13
23-03-2011, 12:48 AM
I have to say I am completely opposed to Twitter or Facebook links with this site! And I do mean completely!

If people want to spout crap about how they spent their day shopping and cutting their toenails, or the latest teenage Karen Carpenter diet fad, then they belong on dumb uncontrolled social networking sites.
Not on a proper professionally run Forum!

I hope I have made my total objection to this idea clear!

Reddevil
23-03-2011, 01:18 AM
I have to say I am completely opposed to Twitter or Facebook links with this site! And I do mean completely!

If people want to spout crap about how they spent their day shopping and cutting their toenails, or the latest teenage Karen Carpenter diet fad, then they belong on dumb uncontrolled social networking sites.
Not on a proper professionally run Forum!

I hope I have made my total objection to this idea clear!

You got it wrong way round diablo its the site thats posting on facebook not facebook posting on here, merely another way to attract custom by advertising content on the social networks.

Diablo13
23-03-2011, 01:33 AM
Thanks Red for clearing that up!

I know I have said many times, and provided evidence of my objections to the security and even what should be legal on those sites, so I wont state them again.

Lets just say if WOD became just an extended chat room of that type, then I would be gone forever!
So strongly do I feel about this.

little_pob
23-03-2011, 06:57 PM
Some interesting ideas already. I'll be honest I originally read this in a sly look in work but didn't have time to post, then forgot about it as I didn't subscribe to it either :imnew:.

I'm all for a new logo, especially if it's a competition again. Though I did tweak it a week or so later with a drop shadow on the text, the current logo is 18 months old by my reckoning (the file on my computer is dated Sep '09). However, I think it would be best to leave any logo until the site shake-up is sorted? No point in designing a logo, idents and other graphics if they're not needed or not reflected in any redesign.

I agree that a Facebook "fan" page may get us some more members. With the openness of the "file zone" are admin happy about the attention this might bring? (i.e. are we sure about the legality?) @Berley you'd have to make a separate account (e.g. Berley WoD) for just the WoD page if you didn't want anyone knowing the real you. Alternatively you could set your FB privacy as high as it can go, then not accept friend requests from people you don't know.

I don't know much about vB, so may have this horribly wrong, but there's a feature on bit-tech that makes PrefixIDs/statusicons clickable and sortable. In the sat and cable sections at the very least, this would allow you to get rid of the sub-forums as anyone wanting just to view the Technomate (for example) threads would just have to click the Technomate 'icon' at the start of a thread title to sort by threads with that prefix. You'd have to make it compulsory, and someone would probably have to go through the threads (before they're collapsed to the parent forum would probably make it easier). I think it's this one but don't have access to view the attachments: Clickable, Sortable Prefixes - vBulletin.org Forum (To view links or images in this forum your post count must be 1 or greater. You currently have 0 posts. You can see it in action on the bit-tech website.

I might be back with more...

Reddevil
23-03-2011, 07:08 PM
Some interesting ideas already.

I'm all for a new logo, especially if it's a competition again. Though I did tweak it a week or so later with a drop shadow on the text, the current logo is 18 months old by my reckoning (the file on my computer is dated Sep '09). However, I think it would be best to leave any logo until the site shake-up is sorted? No point in designing a logo, idents and other graphics if they're not needed or not reflected in any redesign.

Sounds a good idea once its been decided what style(s) will be used

I agree that a Facebook "fan" page may get us some more members. With the openness of the "file zone" are admin happy about the attention this might bring? (i.e. are we sure about the legality?) @Berley you'd have to make a separate account (e.g. Berley WoD) for just the WoD page if you didn't want anyone knowing the real you. Alternatively you could set your FB privacy as high as it can go, then not accept friend requests from people you don't know.

we already have an account in place as far as im aware just a case of switching on the interface.

I don't know much about vB, so may have this horribly wrong, but there's a feature on bit-tech that makes PrefixIDs/statusicons clickable and sortable. In the sat and cable sections at the very least, this would allow you to get rid of the sub-forums as anyone wanting just to view the Technomate (for example) threads would just have to click the Technomate 'icon' at the start of a thread title to sort by threads with that prefix. You'd have to make it compulsory, and someone would probably have to go through the threads (before they're collapsed to the parent forum would probably make it easier). I think it's this one but don't have access to view the attachments: Clickable, Sortable Prefixes - vBulletin.org Forum (To view links or images in this forum your post count must be 1 or greater. You currently have 0 posts. You can see it in action on the bit-tech website.

Thats something to be considered its easy to configure as its all inbuilt plus if custom icons were made make it more presentable as well

Pejazzle
24-03-2011, 01:09 AM
The ability to delete threads and posts we have made would be great. I have looked back at my introduction and it is so stupid.

Spinifex
24-03-2011, 11:18 AM
The ability to delete threads and posts we have made would be great. I have looked back at my introduction and it is so stupid.

I suppose 'soft delete' could be allowed, but hard permanent delete would not.
you cant have the members with too much control on a forum.

What exactly is wrong with your introduction?

Spin.

Reddevil
24-03-2011, 11:21 AM

That will never be an option, if you have a problem with a post them thats what the mods and admin are for to help ;)

Pejazzle
24-03-2011, 01:46 PM
Was also thinking you could make a mobile version of the site? One that could be viewed on a smartphone? Maybe even an app?

Hunter
24-03-2011, 01:55 PM
Was also thinking you could make a mobile version of the site? One that could be viewed on a smartphone? Maybe even an app?
i belive we allready have one :)

Pejazzle
24-03-2011, 01:56 PM
What an app?

Pejazzle
24-03-2011, 01:57 PM
and im on android by the way.

little_pob
24-03-2011, 02:36 PM
The site works on my HTC Hero. Ok, you have to scroll sideways in some parts, but when reading posts their width adjusts to fit comfortablly on the screen in both portrait and landscape. However, if admin find a mobile style they like this should help auto-detect mobile browsers: Mobile Device Style Assignment - vBulletin.org Forum (To view links or images in this forum your post count must be 1 or greater. You currently have 0 posts. As for the app, what would you have it do? If it's just to post on the site, why not just use a bookmark? An app just for the sake of having one isn't necissarily good (To view links or images in this forum your post count must be 1 or greater. You currently have 0 posts. However, you could always have an RSS feed of new posts from the site for use with a aggregator (desktop or mobile). I can imagine a WoD branded app that lists (generates?) the latest TVX code may prove popular with some members.

Pejazzle
24-03-2011, 02:57 PM
yes i was thinking an app like the rss feed youre suggesting so i can keep up to date with latest posts while im away from my pc. also the app that could possibly generate the tvx codes sounds like a great idea.

CrackDaddy
26-03-2011, 02:52 AM
A section for links to full online streaming movies perhaps!?

digitalman
26-03-2011, 03:14 PM
Had a read through some very interesting thoughts - and one thing I do have to say is not to remove the cable section completly! As mentioned earlier there is still kv operating and I believe that within the next 4-6weeks there will be a HD version of the kv box coming out too!

renwich
27-03-2011, 11:34 PM

there is a free plugin for vbuletin called tapatalk, simple install I've heard

there is also a corresponding app for android and ios called strangely enough Tapatalk as well, this works extremely well,

Pejazzle
28-03-2011, 07:40 PM
Any update on the new site?

Gazer
29-03-2011, 04:18 PM

there is also a corresponding app for android and ios called strangely enough Tapatalk as well, this works extremely well,

Plus there is this one called Forum Runner which we may end up getting .....this is free for the read only and think it is 99p for the full one

as for the upgrade if all goes well it should be this weekend.

DessertDog
29-03-2011, 04:39 PM
Thanks renny it seems the android app is not free but its cheap lol

notanotherone
29-03-2011, 05:22 PM
Thanks renny it seems the android app is not free but its cheap lol

i think renny should have bought it for me and you DD :roflmao:

renwich
29-03-2011, 11:14 PM
Plus there is this one called Forum Runner which we may end up getting .....this is free for the read only and think it is 99p for the full one

as for the upgrade if all goes well it should be this weekend.

Forum runner is good to, Tapatalk is the one I use, but forum runner app is cheaper so will suit NAO :sumo: (the tight git) lol

Magnu420
29-03-2011, 11:51 PM
can you not get the taptalk app and forumrunner from the android repositries

Reddevil
30-03-2011, 11:13 AM
can you not get the taptalk app and forumrunner from the android repositries

I think these are planned additions after the upgrade

Reddevil
31-03-2011, 11:23 AM
Some excellent suggestions so far some are possible while others may take a while to impliment. Just to recap some of the ideas todate:

Forum Stats
Member of the Week
Jailbreak Section
Mobile Intergration
Streamlined Browsing
Social Network Additions
Racing and Betting Section
Design Section
Credit System
Wrestling Section
Flash Chat
Trusted Trading
Links Section Movies or Streams

Im sure any I missed will be pointed out lol

Any more ideas you have just keep em coming

Diablo13
31-03-2011, 10:13 PM
You could put a compass at the top of the forum?

Just so some members know where they live! :rolleyes: :lol3:

Reddevil
31-03-2011, 10:22 PM
You could put a compass at the top of the forum?

Just so some members know where they live! :rolleyes: :lol3:

Got the weather on portal so you know when it rains if that helps :roflmao: