PDA

View Full Version : Home server software

10mg
19-03-2011, 11:24 AM
Looking for some free home server software. Got an oldish pc and looking to wire it up as a fileserver/nas/downloads unit.

Sure I seen some that you just setup and then it'll happily run without the need of a mouse or monitor.

Any ideas?

Reddevil
19-03-2011, 11:33 AM
use windows xp or linux access via remote desktop :)

10mg
19-03-2011, 11:55 AM
mmmmm what about Freenas?

Reddevil
19-03-2011, 12:15 PM
mmmmm what about Freenas?

never used it sorry, install it see what it does

the_irate_pirate
19-03-2011, 12:17 PM
Freenas is pretty easy to get up and running. I had it running with sabnzbd and sickbeard for a while. I've since changed to openfiler and have sabnzbd, sickbeard and couchpotato all running on it.
Everything is managed through web interfaces (apart from the odd time I need to ssh into the box to change file permissions etc)

Current uptime for the box is 16 days 3 hours 26 minutes with no problems.

10mg
19-03-2011, 12:29 PM
Freenas is pretty easy to get up and running. I had it running with sabnzbd and sickbeard for a while. I've since changed to openfiler and have sabnzbd, sickbeard and couchpotato all running on it.
Everything is managed through web interfaces (apart from the odd time I need to ssh into the box to change file permissions etc)

will have a looksee

10mg
20-03-2011, 12:36 PM

I'm going to experiment with freenas first. Did you have sabnzbd and sickbeard working along with freenas?

xtokyx
30-10-2011, 09:00 AM

How did you get sabnzbd to install on OF? it requires python2.6 and there is no conary entry for that... did you follow a specific guide for that?

I can't get it install on my OF, would love to know how you did it.