PDA

View Full Version : Mercedes can fight for race wins in 2011 - Schumacher

Hunter
18-03-2011, 10:22 AM
http://news.bbcimg.co.uk/media/images/51721000/jpg/_51721786_011335601-1.jpg Schumacher believes he can fight for wins with Mercedes

Seven-time world champion Michael Schumacher believes he can fight for race victories in the 2011 season. Schumacher, 42, topped the times in testing at Barcelona last week after upgrades to his Mercedes racer.
"I am confident we can compete for podium finishes and I am hopeful we can fight for victories at some of the races," said the German.
Schumacher's best result with Mercedes was fourth in 2010 - his comeback campaign after a three-year sabbatical.
He was tempted out of retirement by his old friend Ross Brawn, who masterminded most of Schumacher's race wins and all his championship titles with Ferrari and before that with Benetton.
After Honda quit the sport, Brawn's team carried Jenson Button to the 2009 world championship. Mercedes bought into the squad for 2010, with Schumacher and fellow German Nico Rosberg signed to drive and Brawn as team principal.
Schumacher's form was disappointing and he was generally outperformed by Rosberg. The team looked set to struggle in 2011, especially when their new car lacked pace on its early test outings.
But a significant upgrade propelled Schumacher to the fastest time on the fourth of five days of testing last week at Barcelona's Circuit de Catalunya.
http://news.bbcimg.co.uk/shared/img/o.gif

Not only that, but Schumacher's time was the quickest from all nine days of testing at the track this year.
The veteran now says that his feeling ahead of next week's season opener in Australia "is a good one".
"The team has been working very hard over the winter to shape our car in all of the areas that had been identified by us as needing improvement," he added.
"The data I have seen over the winter had been quite encouraging but then we all know the realities of data and the racetrack can be quite different.
"As a driver you obviously hope for a good step forward and I think this is what we have achieved."
"We will only see the truth once the season gets under way, so I can hardly wait to go to Melbourne to finally see what the real picture is."

http://news.bbcimg.co.uk/media/images/51721000/jpg/_51721788_011334268-1.jpg Schumacher was fastest in testing at Barcelona in his Mercedes

Schumacher also revealed that he needed to get used to working with the British-based Mercedes team.
"This year feels very different indeed," he said. "Last year, everything was new again - the testing situation, the car, the team, the structures.
"It was very exciting but it was still something you had to find your way through.
"Now, one year later, I know much better which areas to work in. I am much more familiar with the team and we have a great group of very skilled and dedicated people.
"I enjoy what I do, I enjoy working with Mercedes, and I have never regretted my decision to return."

tinkertiler
18-03-2011, 04:55 PM
I hope the old Schumacha returns bashing everyone out of his way to win as it was great fun to watch as you wasnt sure what he was going to do next! Just a shame last season the car wasnt a bit better just hope this season we can see a bit of him return to form and see him back on top and give these wipper snappers a run for their money lol

Never thought i would be saying that of him lol