PDA

View Full Version : Heavy Rain reigns at video game Baftas

tinkertiler
17-03-2011, 08:42 PM
Heavy Rain was the big winner at the video game Baftas, picking up three awards.

The film noir-inspired murder-mystery won best story, original music and technical innovation. But the best game title went to Mass Effect 2.

The Bafta fellowship was awarded to Populous creator Peter Molyneux.

Two of the most nominated games, Call of Duty: Black Ops, and Assassin's Creed Brotherhood, picked up just one award each.
Continue reading the main story
Winning games
Assassin's Creed Brotherhood

* Action: Assassin's Creed Brotherhood
* Artistic achievement: God of War III
* Best game: Mass Effect 2
* Story; original music; technical innovation: Heavy Rain
* Use of audio: Battlefield: Bad Company: 2
* GAME award: Call of Duty: Black Ops
* Fellowship: Peter Molyneux

* Winners in full

Black Ops won the Game award, which is voted for by the public, while Assassin's Creed was named best action game.

Best family game went to Kinect Sports, which uses Microsoft's motion sensing Kinect controller.

The device was recently named the fastest selling gadget of all time, having notched up 10 million sales in four months.

Three Kinect games were nominated in the family category.
Heavy Rain

But the night belonged to Heavy Rain, by Quantic Dream.

The PS3 game tells the story of four characters caught up in the case of the Origami Killer.

Detective Scott Shelby, journalist Madison Paige, FBI agent Norman Jayden and concerned father Ethan Mars try to piece together clues to the killer's identity.

Heavy Rain was written and directed by Quantic Dream's chief executive, David De Gruttola.

The game makes use of PlayStation's Move controller, Sony's answer to Xbox Kinect.
Playing God

This year's Bafta fellowship went to Peter Molyneux, the creator of games such as Theme Park, Fable and Magic Carpet.

Mr Molyneux is widely credited with inventing the "god game" genre with his 1989 title Populous.

Players were set the task of building an electronic world and managing the development of its citizens.
Peter Molyneux Peter Molyneux created classic titles Populous and Theme Park.

Its success led to a raft of similar games including Sim City, the Settlers and the Sims.

Receiving his award, Mr Molyneux said: "I still think one day I'm going to wake up and it's all going to be a dream."

His fellowship was presented by Sir Ben Kingsley, who played Sabine in Peter Molyneux' 2010 game Fable III.

Mr Kingsley said: "It's my first video game experience with the maestro and you try and keep me out of this business.

"I very much want to be a part of it, I think it's thrilling."

http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/technology-12767026