PDA

View Full Version : crosshairs of Sony's legal team

10mg
06-03-2011, 01:37 PM
Sony just keeps coming in the ongoing case against noted modder George "Geohot" Hotz. This time it is not Hotz himself that is in the crosshairs of Sony's legal team, it's all of us. A federal magistrate has granted Sony the right to obtain the IP addresses of any person that visited Geohot's site from January of 2009 to present. Sony has already subpoenaed Hotz's host Bluehost to get a list of IP addresses.

Sony got the lawyers involved when Hotz managed to crack the PS3's DRM solution, allowing users to run un-signed software. They contend this is a breach of the DMCA. The subpoena requires Bluehost to hand over ?documents reproducing all server logs, IP address logs, account information, account access records, and application or registration forms?. They are specifically interested in those that downloaded the jailbreak ZIP file.

Sony hopes to prove several things in this action. First, that Hotz did indeed distribute the code in question. Second, that many downloaders of the code live in northern California, thus letting Sony sue in their preferred jurisdiction. Sony will also get access to IP logs for Geohot's Blogger site, Youtube, and Twitter.

Many, including the EFF, are calling this a blatant overreach. i`m no legal expert but Do you think Sony is doing itself more harm than good here?

Sony Gets Access to IP Addresses of Visitors to Geohot's Site - XPG (http://www.xpgamesaves.com/topic/15029-sony-gets-access-to-ip-addresses-of-visitors-to-geohots-site/)

tinkertiler
06-03-2011, 02:21 PM
Sony are pushin it big style lol And i can see them coming un stuck very soon. People will just turn around and say dont buy their stuff as its not your when you get it! Im glad that i have avoided sony apart from car stereos in the past and my speakers which i got cheap lol They can go to hell as far as im concerned now they have pushed things too far and they think they are the most important people on earth!! WRONG i am PMSL