PDA

View Full Version : Formula 1 legend Sir Jackie Stewart falls ill on flight

tinkertiler
02-03-2011, 09:03 PM
Former Formula 1 world champion Sir Jackie Stewart has been taken to hospital after falling ill on a London-bound flight from Geneva.

The 71-year-old Scot was given first aid by air stewardesses after complaining of chest pains.

Paramedics met Stewart at London Heathrow airport and he is now recovering at Hillingdon Hospital.

"He did pass out and as a precaution he was taken to hospital to be looked at," his eldest son Paul told BBC Sport.

"I've just spoken to him in hospital. He seemed absolutely fine, but obviously something happened and we need to establish what, but I'm on my way to see him right now.

Sir Jackie is fully conscious and having precautionary medical checks but we are expecting a full recovery

Sir Jackie's spokesman

"I should think he'll just be checked over and hopefully it will be nothing more sinister than that."

A statement from Stewart's spokesman added: "Sir Jackie is fully conscious and having precautionary medical checks but we are expecting a full recovery."

Stewart, who has a house in Switzerland, was on his way back from the Geneva Motor Show when he was taken ill.

The Scot won 27 grands prix on his way to three F1 world titles during his driving career, after making his debut with BRM in 1965.

In 1968 he teamed up with Ken Tyrrell at Matra International and became world champion in 1969. He repeated the success with Tyrrell's own team in 1971 and 1973.

In addition to his victories on the track, Stewart successfully campaigned for the introduction of higher safety standards, such as full-face helmets and larger run-off areas to protect his fellow drivers.

He returned to the sport in 1997 as founder and figurehead of the Stewart Grand Prix team.

In 1999 the team were bought by Ford and renamed Team Jaguar. They were sold in 2004 and became Red Bull Racing who are currently the constructors' champions.

http://news.bbc.co.uk/sport1/hi/motorsport/formula_one/9411842.stm