PDA

View Full Version : Bahrain Grand Prix off after anti-government protests

tinkertiler
21-02-2011, 06:11 PM
The Bahrain Grand Prix has been called off because of anti-government protests in the Gulf kingdom.

The race, due to be staged on 13 March, would have opened the new season but had been in doubt for more than a week because of the civil unrest.

Instead, the 2011 campaign will begin in Australia on 27 March.

"We must focus on immediate issues of national interest and leave the hosting to a later date," said Crown Prince Salman bin Hamad Al Khalifa.

"After the events of the past week, our nation's priority is on overcoming tragedy, healing divisions and rediscovering the fabric that draws this country together; reminding the world of the very best that Bahrain is capable of as a nation once again united."

The race could still be rescheduled but organisers said in a statement that no decision had been taken yet.

The Bahrain GP has been on the Formula 1 calendar every year since 2004.

"It is sad that Bahrain has had to withdraw from the race, we wish the whole nation well as they begin to heal their country," said F1 boss Bernie Ecclestone.

"The hospitality and warmth of the people of Bahrain is a hallmark of the race there, as anyone who has been at a Bahrain Grand Prix will testify. We look forward to being back in Bahrain soon."

Demonstrators in Bahrain are demanding that the ruling monarchy gives up its near-absolute control over key policies and positions.

Australian Mark Webber, who expressed doubts about staging the Bahrain Grand Prix at the weekend, supported the decision to call off the race.

"They [organisers] know what is going on out there and they have made their call so let's go to Melbourne," the Red Bull driver told BBC Sport.

"It would have been nice to go to Bahrain but we have to wait a bit longer to have our first race and that just happens to be my home race. I always look forward to going down there. It's a sensational event.

"We are in good shape as a team so we hope to go there and have a very good result."

The fourth and final round of testing was due to take place in Bahrain on 3 March, but this has been cancelled and rescheduled for 8-11 March in Barcelona.

BBC F1 commentator Martin Brundle believes the decision was inevitable, but remains the right call.

"The Crown Prince has a lot of things under consideration at the moment, a lot of decisions and discussions - not just around Formula 1," said Brundle.

"I don't think we were looking forward to going to Bahrain, shouting about a pole position lap or applauding a podium, when they've had so much turmoil there. The deaths and injuries have been a tragedy.

"It is absolutely the right decision for F1."

Brundle believes that the delayed start to the new season could benefit some struggling teams.

"It will play into the hands of the teams that were struggling to make fast and reliable cars.

"There were 19 events last year and there will be 19 this year by the looks of it. It is not like we're short of Grands Prix this year.

"I hope it is back on the calendar if not later this year then certainly in its due place next year because it is a great venue."

http://news.bbc.co.uk/sport1/hi/motorsport/formula_one/9402871.stm

billyboy1963
21-02-2011, 08:11 PM
Not really surprising due to the current unrest but I bet Bernie will still make money out of it somewhere along the line