PDA

View Full Version : iBooks 1.2.1 Detects a Jailbroken Device!

Ureyesonly
17-02-2011, 09:53 AM
It has been discovered that a recent update to Apple?s iBooks application has been fitted out with a ?Jailbreak Detector?. This is not a good sign for jailbreakers and seems to be affecting users who have recently jailbroken their devices with greenpois0n and redsn0w (Monte). Users have reported that when trying to open purchased books on their device they have been greeted with the error message:

To view links or images in this forum your post count must be 1 or greater. You currently have 0 posts. According to iPhone Dev-Team member @comex, whenever a user attempts to open an eBook purchased from the iBookstore that contains digital rights management code, the new iBooks tries to run unsigned or improperly signed binaries as a test to see if the device is jailbroken. If those binaries run successfully, the device is flagged as having been jailbroken and the eBook refuses to open.
Luckily, comex has already fixed this issue ready for the next release of the jailbreak tools, including Pwnagetool 4.2 which is due soon;

To view links or images in this forum your post count must be 1 or greater. You currently have 0 posts. It's funny, because this only affected people reading books from the apple book store. I had no problems reading pirated books. Fail on Apple's part? I think so. Punishing people who actually paid for books and letting pirates run rampant lol

10mg
17-02-2011, 11:18 PM
It's funny, because this only affected people reading books from the apple book store. I had no problems reading pirated books. Fail on Apple's part? I think so. Punishing people who actually paid for books and letting pirates run rampant lol

Is it possible the whole idea is to get paying folk to grass in other folk. I know I've said this before but its the only logical assumption I can make from the actions.

Ureyesonly
18-02-2011, 09:50 AM
Is it possible the whole idea is to get paying folk to grass in other folk.

I'm gonna say no because not every one that jailbreaks wants free apps from the app store, in most case's they want hacks from Cydia to improve wot apple should have done or wont do in the first place.

this problem with iBooks not working rite with new 4.2.1 JB, was it a fluke with a change in 4.2.1 code or is apple simply just trying to protect IBook Devs from loosing money?