PDA

View Full Version : Dumb Question?

jay
13-01-2011, 05:19 PM
Hey guys, I'm looking to buy an xbox off ebay to do the jtag thing, I was just wondering, the cheapest xbox's on there are the one's with faulty dvd drives, because I'm jtaging would this be the best option?
Thanks guys and apologies if it's a dumb question

Diablo13
13-01-2011, 09:50 PM
Possibly!
There are only certain versions of the 360 that can be jtagged.
The newer ones definitely can't be tagged, so you have to be very careful which one you buy, broken or not!
I think the jtaggable boxes are now like rocking horse $h1t to find though.
tinkertiler is the man you want, he will be able to tell you exactly which 360 you need to get.
In the xbox 360 section, under jtagging, you should be able to find info on which versions it is possible to jtag as well.

Sorry I can't be more helpful, or specific, but I wanted to stop you from buying any 360, then finding out it couldn't be done.
You may have thought that they could all be jtagged, which they can't?

jay
13-01-2011, 10:42 PM
Thanks for the reply Diablo, I've read up a little on which ones can be jtagged and as I understand it so long as the xbox hasn't been on xbox live and been updated or it hasn't had the new dash forced on it by playing a 'new' game then it should be fine.

I'd like an hdmi version that has the better mobo so i've been looking at the arcade version with 256mb built in, is this right tinkertiler

tinkertiler
14-01-2011, 01:56 AM
If you search on ebay for "xbox 360 old" and a few xboxes will turn up. Now make sure that it says "dashboard 7371 or BELOW" and manufacture date before June 18th 2009 and it should be fine. There is a bloke on Ebay called vintage something who sells alot like that and i know that he is fine as had one off him before and it was great as described and worked fine. If you are looking for one with HDMI on you need to be looking for a Falcon model or a Jasper. Now the Jasper ones are supposed to be the better models BUT ive had 2 now and they have both failed!!! And they go for silly money so IMO the Falcon model is the better choice as they are alot less money. The dvd drive is not as important on the jtag as you can get away with a bigger hard drive and putting the games straight on that via the PC so you dont have to mess about with discs ect but i find its handy to have one just in case you "borrow" a game and then you can put it on the jtag very easily. Th2 drives are normally very easy to fix as it is normally just a laser change as they have a funny habbit of wearing out with "backed up" games lol

EDIT - The 256 model with onboard memory is the jasper model and it is alot harder or should i say takes ALOT longer to jtag than the other models as the nand is 66 meg big instead of 16 meg that the other models are and takes alot longer to dump the nand about 2 hours longer via LPT!!!

EDIT 2 - http://shop.ebay.co.uk/?_from=R40&_trksid=p3984.m570.l1313&_nkw=xbox+360+old&_sacat=See-All-Categories thats what you want to be searching under and http://cgi.ebay.co.uk/MICROSOFT-XBOX-360-CONSOLE-ONLY-OLD-BLADE-DASH-6683-NEW-/140499380446?pt=UK_VideoGames_VideoGameConsoles_Vi deoGameConsoles&hash=item20b66a68de that is someone else who i got one off and it worked fine he normal has a few on so worth a look