PDA

View Full Version : Forgive my stupidness , but....

Paul_Robson
27-07-2006, 11:52 PM
OK, im new here and new to cable modem hacking and stuff, so please bare with me.I bought an motorola 4200e cable modem from ebay, and apparently its been firmware upgraded, just needs a mac address adding.I wanted to add my own mac address from my cable modem but im finding that im really stupid and i dont understand how.Ive read up so much, but still dont get it. Ive even tried to update the firmware myself, with NEAR success.I cant tget the modem to go ONLINE at any speed.My old terajet modem works fine with NTL, just not this one.How can i esasily clone my modem details to my 4200e.Thankyou for the patience, and thx for any help. PS- ive read haynes cable modem and loads of other stuff, i need an idiot proof way,lol. Thankyou.

jumpinjo
28-07-2006, 12:34 AM
if you wanna get mac addy from your subb go to 192.168.100.1 then hit addresses on menu bar...3rd one down HFC mac addy

your 4200e has probably got modified firmware if already been done so when you netboot to change mac set SNMP port to 225...also check configuation tab to make sure you got right frequency/plan

Paul_Robson
28-07-2006, 09:28 AM
Thanks JJ, now dont laugh but i really didnt get this bit : if you wanna get mac addy from your subb go to 192.168.100.1 then hit addresses on menu bar...3rd one down HFC mac addy.I typed that address into my address bar in internet explorer but it says page cant be displayed.I know in new, this is starting to freak me out,lol. I even tried to flash my modem myself, but im pretty sure it have been flashed already, so the guy said. Any help would be great, so thankyou so much, Paul.

Paul_Robson
28-07-2006, 12:04 PM
OK, i have tried that but i must be a real basket case,as i cant upgrade the firmware, i think its already upgraded. I managed to get the mac address to 00-00-00-00-00-00 . Im just finding it hard now to ADD my old ntl modem mac address. I goto 192.168.100.1 and highlight address but it wont allow me to change it, the writing highlights blue and wont hilghligh in white so i cant put in my old mac address off my old ntl crappy modem. Any idea's? Oh, and many thx, i cant believe how hard this stuff is, im losing sleep here ,lol. :)

koevoet
28-07-2006, 01:34 PM
Have a look at this video-tut it may help you
http://world-of-digital.com/forums/cable-modem-talk/3555-change-your-mac-telnet-video-tut.html

Regards

Paul_Robson
28-07-2006, 02:11 PM
Sorted, okay, cheers. i have now changed the mac address and the cable modem (4200e) is online thru my nic card.Now i just have to figure out how to uncap it :) Thx guys.