PDA

View Full Version : Motorola building Google Android tablet

thelostone
08-12-2010, 12:33 PM
Imo this sounds worth waiting for
Google's chief Android engineer on Monday showed a glimpse of a forthcoming tablet from Motorola, a potential competitor to Apple's iPad with a more powerful processor.
A prototype of the Motorola tablet, which comes with a "dual core Nvidia 3D processor" and the tablet-friendly Honeycomb version of Android
The Motorola device is running an early version of Honeycomb, which will be out next year and has been developed to work better on tablets, according to Rubin. Developers will be able to build applications that can take advantage of the tablets' larger screens but at the same time work on smartphones.
Google is also doing work on the user interface. For example, the Motorola prototype tablet doesn't have any hardware buttons. Instead, it uses virtual buttons on the screen that reposition when a user rotates the tablet in any direction. That's different from the iPad, which has a hardware home button that is fixed.
Rubin wasn't very forthcoming about the hardware specifications or when the Motorola tablet will show up in stores, only saying "it isn't due out for a while." Also, he didn't specify which Nvidia processor the product is using, but said "Nvidia really knows 3D and have been great to work with."
The use of a dual core processor would likely make the Motorola tablet more powerful than the current version of Apple's iPad, but Apple could equip the next version of its hit tablet with similar hardware.
On the prototype tablet, Rubin demonstrated newest version Google Maps, which will be available for mobile phones in a matter of days, he said.
Aided by the tablet's 3D capabilities, Google Maps can display shadows of buildings as the user zooms in closer to the ground and then shows a 3D landscape as the user tilts the map. The new version is based on vector graphics, which are more efficient and use smaller amounts of data.
The user can also download a whole route at once, according to Rubin.

notanotherone
08-12-2010, 04:51 PM
tbh i wouldnt buy a motorola only only on principle ,they left a lot of ppl in scotland without a job they shut down their bathgate plant with the loss of 3000 jobs and from that day i havnt bout anything with their name on it its the same with wrangler jeans i wouldnt buy their stuff either causee they shut down a big factory in scotland and left thousands on the dole

Diablo13
08-12-2010, 06:18 PM
Sadly, while I take your point nao, that applies to just about any industry!
You can't say I'll never buy a Japanese car because they destroyed the British car industry, or I'll never buy another fish finger because so many trawlermen lost their livelihoods, or even a gas fire because it led to the closing of the mines and people being thrown on the scrapheap!
It is just a fact of life that we have lost all our industries and now only 'produce' banking services and insurance.
Companies relocated their workforces to places where they could produce cheaper and more reliable goods than we ever could! :dunno: :sad:

notanotherone
08-12-2010, 07:08 PM
oooo no i buy a japanese car all the time :roflmao: feck im waiting on my new one but sadly it wont be here from the land of the rising sun till march bugger :lol: i just dont do it becasue its a local thing tbh and as i say its just personal

Diablo13
08-12-2010, 07:22 PM
Blimey March!
Is your new car being towed across behind a banana boat?
Or are you waiting for Royal Snail to deliver it! :troutslap: