PDA

View Full Version : laptop

10mg
05-12-2010, 12:50 AM
Got a laptop here that was infected with gawd knows what. It blocked access to task manager and windows defender and got most working with malware bytes. Ran hijack this and it warns that the host file cant be accessed fully. I need access to this file as it has loads of unwanted sheet. Did the usual - run notepad as admin, navigate to hosts.... funny thing is cant see the hosts file even after I show hidden files. I typed in hosts in notepad and manage to open the host file and delete the unwated entries but it wont save. The hosts file is read only and no amount of changing the etc folder to be writeable does anything.

I've even had the drive out and into a caddie and still cant over write or save the hosts file.

Any ideas?

10mg
05-12-2010, 12:20 PM
update:

Running spybot S&D atm and I think it might solve the issue.

10mg
05-12-2010, 01:28 PM
Update(cant edit post above)

Ran spybot and founf entries and a win32.autorun.tmp which was causing the problem of re-infecting the pc after a start up. Still i couldn't edit the hosts file even after admin rights was given to spybot.

Long story short. Used fileassasin deleted the dodgy hosts file created a clean hosts and then imunised it using spybot.

all because kids download and run files from facebook lol