PDA

View Full Version : strong waterproof glue for plastic

thelostone
25-11-2010, 08:10 PM
I am looking for a strong 100% waterproof glue for plastic must be ok in salt water any ideas?thanks for looking

tinkertiler
25-11-2010, 08:38 PM
By the sounds of it you will need a 2 part glue like epoxy or similar only problem is if it damages the plastic. Some do and some dont

thelostone
25-11-2010, 08:53 PM
you dont think super glue would work then?

tinkertiler
25-11-2010, 09:32 PM
I would doubt it as it weakens when in water. What is it your doing exactly? Couldnt you fibre glass it?

thelostone
25-11-2010, 09:40 PM
A friend of mine has an old underwater case for his camera and the hinge has broken so only the top half is holding the thing shut.If he brought a new case it would cost more than the camera but it is a good camera,so he is hoping to glue this one

tinkertiler
25-11-2010, 09:51 PM
2 part epoxy would be the best bet as it is alot stronger than other glue but the only problem would be if it eats the plastic! You can get some that doesnt may take a bit of hunting down for it though. Super glue i wouldnt trust it as i wouldnt want it to fail while it is underwater

thelostone
25-11-2010, 10:16 PM
Thanks tink i will send him off to b&q:car:

tinkertiler
25-11-2010, 11:28 PM
Thanks tink i will send him off to b&q:car:

Either that or Halfords or a car spare parts place to look for something that sticks bumpers might be a good idea

Diablo13
26-11-2010, 12:30 AM
I would have thought ARALDITE would do it?
Been around for years and has a good reputation as being strong in all situations, on just about all materials?

thelostone
26-11-2010, 12:41 AM
Thanks diablo i will look in to it, see if it will do the job

tinkertiler
26-11-2010, 12:42 AM
Ive got a funny feeling that it eats the plastic diablo if i remember correctly. You have to be careful as it will melt it and then that is it new case required lol

Magnu420
26-11-2010, 12:44 AM
wont a silcone based sealant do ???? have you got a craft shop near you
you might be able to get a small tube for a couple of quid

thelostone
26-11-2010, 12:48 AM
wont a silcone based sealant do ???? have you got a craft shop near you
you might be able to get a small tube for a couple of quid
but would it be strong enough?

Diablo13
26-11-2010, 01:03 AM
Must admit its been a while since I used araldite, but if I think about it maybe the "eating" you are thinking about tink is actually a slight melting at the joint, in the form of a weld, which should be even stronger?
It will give its suitability on the packet though, so at least you have the brand name to look for at a hardware shop!

Silicon would seal it, but be no use on a hinged movable part.
A hot glue gun might do it as well, but I have the same doubts about it as the silicon on a movable point?

Magnu420
26-11-2010, 01:18 AM
maybe this will do its flexible and water proofed

Buy Stationery • Loctite Super Glue Instant Adhesive Control Gel Non-drip Water-resistant in Dispenser 3g Ref 1112779 (http://www.buy-stationery.co.uk/apps/Shop.dll?R=SPI810427&X=GPBS)

tinkertiler
26-11-2010, 09:02 AM
Must admit its been a while since I used araldite, but if I think about it maybe the "eating" you are thinking about tink is actually a slight melting at the joint, in the form of a weld, which should be even stronger?
It will give its suitability on the packet though, so at least you have the brand name to look for at a hardware shop!

Silicon would seal it, but be no use on a hinged movable part.
A hot glue gun might do it as well, but I have the same doubts about it as the silicon on a movable point?

Not it wont do it diablo as it will weeken it and thenit will break very easily and seeing as though a camera is going in it i wouldnt take the risk !

thelostone
26-11-2010, 08:11 PM
maybe this will do its flexible and water proofed

Buy Stationery • Loctite Super Glue Instant Adhesive Control Gel Non-drip Water-resistant in Dispenser 3g Ref 1112779 (To view links or images in this forum your post count must be 1 or greater. You currently have 0 posts. Thanks mags i am not to worried about it being flexible,i have found a few things on the net i am going to look in to.If it helps this is what needs to be glued,once again thanks for all the help and advice guys

DessertDog
26-11-2010, 08:28 PM
Have yo tried the glue thats used for plastic on double glazing it sticks well and its water proof m8.Its in 2 parts a small bottle and a spay you spray on the glue after its used.

thelostone
26-11-2010, 08:51 PM
Thanks dd no not heared of that one

DessertDog
26-11-2010, 09:01 PM
You should be able to get it at any where they sale plastic facia board etc it should be about 8 quid i think dont get it from a diy shop its not as strong m8.If you need any further info or cant get it let me know.The stuff i got is called Rite-Lock its Cyanoacrylate in a small bottle like super glue then there is a spray can called Cyanoacrylate Activator its very strong.If you cant get it let me know m8

notanotherone
26-11-2010, 09:07 PM
Been around for years and has a good reputation as being strong in all situations,

a bit like you then :roflmao:

dx100-uk
27-11-2010, 10:32 PM
sri not been around

you need

Inter-City Models: Materials (To view links or images in this forum your post count must be 1 or greater. You currently have 0 posts. mek-poly [ right down the bottom]

it actual melts the plastic and bonds it

now i do this type of thing quite alot

your issue is i bet that lid twists on its hinge bar too
thats how it got broken smacked on the side of it

that two part cyno should do it too

on sets we get alot of this damage
but i never like that type of expanded plastic like that lid is made of
its very brittle.

epoxy wont do it as there is no gap to fill

so its mek or 2 part cyno.

if it were me

i'd put a strap of metal over the join and use a circle of self tappers all around it too
that will take the mechanical knocks away from the joint should it get hit again

dx

thelostone
27-11-2010, 11:51 PM
sri not been around

you need

Inter-City Models: Materials (To view links or images in this forum your post count must be 1 or greater. You currently have 0 posts. mek-poly [ right down the bottom]

it actual melts the plastic and bonds it

is this glue waterproof?

now i do this type of thing quite alot

your issue is i bet that lid twists on its hinge bar too
thats how it got broken smacked on the side of it

This seems to be a common prob with this case not very well made

that two part cyno should do it too

on sets we get alot of this damage
but i never like that type of expanded plastic like that lid is made of
its very brittle.
it is polycarbonate abs plastic if that helps

epoxy wont do it as there is no gap to fill

so its mek or 2 part cyno.

if it were me

i'd put a strap of metal over the join and use a circle of self tappers all around it too
that will take the mechanical knocks away from the joint should it get hit again
Dont think i am that brave to try that mate lol i would only crack it

dx
Thanks for the advice bud

dx100-uk
28-11-2010, 05:56 PM
been up the lab today had to sort some dead radios

the stuff i was trying to remember is this:

Radio Daze-PLAS-T-PAIR - Plastics Repair Kit (To view links or images in this forum your post count must be 1 or greater. You currently have 0 posts. dx

notanotherone
28-11-2010, 07:43 PM
been up the lab today had to sort some dead radios

the stuff i was trying to remember is this:

Radio Daze-PLAS-T-PAIR - Plastics Repair Kit (To view links or images in this forum your post count must be 1 or greater. You currently have 0 posts. dx

sorry for hijacking this thread wot would you suggest for glass ? i broke a really nice glass ornament and wanted to replace it but couldnt find another so thot maybe i could fix it

thelostone
28-11-2010, 08:46 PM
Dose the mrs know yet:axe:
i use this Glass Bonding Adhesive Free Delivery : Epoxies : Maplin (To view links or images in this forum your post count must be 1 or greater. You currently have 0 posts. it dries clear it uses uv ie sunlight to cure try that bud

dx100-uk
28-11-2010, 08:48 PM
or

Loctite Glass Bond 3ml

you can get it in most diy places

dx