PDA

View Full Version : Swastika multiplayer emblems in Call of Duty: Black Ops can get you banned from Xbox

tinkertiler
22-11-2010, 08:44 AM
Ah, swastikas. You'll probably have seen the zombies in Call of Duty: Black Ops wearing these symbols, but don't even think of using them as your multiplayer emblem. That'll just put your GamerTag on the bus to Banville.

Replying to a Twitter query regarding the use of the swastika as an in-game multiplayer emblem, Xbox Live director of policy and enforcement, Stephen Toulouse, replied thusly: "Yes, you will get banned using a swastika as your Black Ops emblem. I don?t care if you ?just like the design?."

Twitter doesn't really allow for more in-depth explanations, so he also posted a longer missive on his blog, part of which reads:

The Xbox LIVE profile and in game content you create is accessible by everyone. You do not have the context inside of it to explain your long winded contrarian view that your pithy text that violates the Terms of Use or Code of Conduct is actually intended to change people?s minds about a commonly held understanding.

It?s not political correctness, it?s fundamental respect. If you think the swastika symbol should be re-evaluated by societies all over the Earth, I think that?s great. Your Xbox LIVE profile or in game logo, which doesn?t have the context to explain your goal, is not the right place to do that.

So yeah. Swastika multiplayer emblem = ban. That's a good equation to remember if you want to keep enjoying Black Ops on Live.

Diablo13
22-11-2010, 11:16 PM
Pathetic!

I am no Natzi sympathizer or royal moron who endorses wearing the symbol of cruelty in a bygone age.
I do think its a bit rich banning people for using the swastika motif, when the game itself includes it and games even go so far as allowing you to play as a terrorist?
Talk about double standards, if you want an absolute ban on swastikas then remove them from the games, or the games themselves as well.
How can we ever move on when something as pathetic as this is given importance in today's world?
I am not saying forget history, or the lives that were lost in it. Just don't give a symbol more prominence than it deserves!
Does anyone remember the Italian Fascist symbol?
NO.

shawry99
24-01-2011, 09:41 AM
The thing is, its not Xbox that put them in the game, as its their servers people use for xbox live I guess they can ban who they like.

TBH, I would rather them not be in the game at all, and I do see people using them in the PS3 version.

Diablo13
24-01-2011, 09:52 PM
The thing is, its not Xbox that put them in the game, as its their servers people use for xbox live I guess they can ban who they like.

TBH, I would rather them not be in the game at all, and I do see people using them in the PS3 version.

Yes they can ban who they like, regardless of how much money they have been given to host it!
That doesn't make it right.
You cannot try to show realism in a game, especially an historically based one, if you remove any distasteful symbols or uniforms.
Just because someone doesn't like a historical fact, you can't just ignore it, or pretend it didn't happen?
That is the worst way possible to treat history!

10mg
26-01-2011, 11:58 PM
Its ok to show the thing if its against. So your killing the zombie nazis. All good they are the bad guys. Teaching kids about good and evil.

Never knew a symbol could be so evil...... now a gun, inanimate object.... kills thousands.....

Stephen Toulouse has double standards!