PDA

View Full Version : What do you mean by "MAC"

makii
27-07-2006, 10:55 AM
Excuse me,,,,all this sounds interesting. I'm a newbie, approx 3 days now!!

What do you mean by "MAC", i am familair with MAC as in Network Cards...

explain for me someoe please...

hacker
27-07-2006, 12:58 PM
A MAC address, short for Media Access Control address, is a unique code assigned to most forms of networking hardware. The address is permanently assigned to the hardware, so limiting a wireless network's access to hardware -- such as wireless cards -- is a security feature employed by closed wireless networks. But an experienced hacker -- armed with the proper tools -- can still figure out an authorized MAC address, masquerade as a legitimate address and access a closed network.

makii
27-07-2006, 01:08 PM
thanks for that hacker,,

what i meant was what do you all do with these macs, in relation to this thread!! but i think i have sussed it now! Cable modems get their speed depentant on their macs,,also something to do with acess area!!!

if im correct..!?

the_matrix
27-07-2006, 03:34 PM
basically mac cloning which involves using anothers mac and writing it to a (non subbed) modem with updated firmware:9:

also using anothers mac in the same area wont work as it will conflict

mannan
31-07-2006, 04:41 PM
my friend got me started on this crusade to get my surfboard working, but im gonna give ait a shot and do it myself......

i got a UBR code from my friend in glasgow also with NTL from the link at the top of this forum which he said needed to be different from the one give by machine, does this code determine the speed of broadband you will recieve when connecting my surfboard?

mannan
31-07-2006, 04:42 PM
or is this completely different from the MAC address?

snowy1998
02-08-2006, 01:03 AM
a MAC in a cable modem has exactly the same function as a MAC in a network card in a PC.

MONKey
02-08-2006, 06:42 PM
or is this completely different from the MAC address?

A MAC address is tied to a speed config file at the CC's end. Therefore if you use a subscribed customers MAC that is tied to a 1MB config file then you 'will' get 1MB.

I say 'will' as if you use a surfboard with a 1MB MAC you can overide the config file that the modem downloads and get it to use the 1MB mac for access but a 10 (TEN)MB config file for your internet access. Therfore giving you 10MB internet :)

You can also convert an Ambit 200 (N*L Home 200) modem into a Motorola Surfboard 5100 and also get 10MB this way ;)

EDIT: ALSO keep in mind that you need to clone a MAC from another gateway, someone 7mile'ish away from you should do aalthough the gateway could well end at the end of your street.... Reasons for this are you can only have the MAC address on the same gateway once or the CC's systems will see that there are 2 modems with the same MAC on and will systematically kick them off, one after the other every min or less, giving you both no internet access at all and causeing the CC to look into things further which you DON'T want :(

sockdip
03-11-2006, 07:13 PM
First thing to do is find out what "node" your ISP has put you on. This will determine where you shoould be looking for MACS that you can clone without the risk of alerting your ISP to waht you are trying to do! Which is good!

Look around for info on how to find what node you are on.

Hope this helps.

DessertDog
03-11-2006, 07:16 PM
Excuse me,,,,all this sounds interesting. I'm a newbie, approx 3 days now!!
What do you mean by "MAC", i am familair with MAC as in Network Cards...
explain for me someoe please...
Newbie you regd in July lol

madnlooney
05-11-2006, 11:31 PM
can also force a 250 with a 10meg config too