PDA

View Full Version : mohs rant....

moh
25-10-2010, 02:36 PM
Ok this is mohs rant,why is it neccessary whilst browsing through a thread that your ip address ,isp provider,what version of windows is running,what browser and a "im watching you", is showing on another members signature on their post with all your information,first of all why bother doing that its totally unesseccary
plus it would make new members uncomfortable,nervous internet users not want to contribute to a forum such as this etc,i for one dont like it and have never liked it since i joined forums a few years ago, thats my rant over :(

DessertDog
25-10-2010, 03:06 PM
Hi m8
Are you talking about this thing they ad to there sig that shows your ip ?
What thread or post was it m8

berley
25-10-2010, 03:28 PM
Are you referring to something similar to the banners on this site moh ? >>>>> To view links or images in this forum your post count must be 1 or greater. You currently have 0 posts. If so it's only you that can see your own information, everyone see's there own.

Reddevil
25-10-2010, 03:41 PM
Ok this is mohs rant,why is it neccessary whilst browsing through a thread that your ip address ,isp provider,what version of windows is running,what browser and a "im watching you", is showing on another members signature on their post with all your information,first of all why bother doing that its totally unesseccary
plus it would make new members uncomfortable,nervous internet users not want to contribute to a forum such as this etc,i for one dont like it and have never liked it since i joined forums a few years ago, thats my rant over :(

The other option is disable viewing signatures, so you wont see it, but bare in mind you may miss some valuable info stored in some signatures.

moh
25-10-2010, 09:10 PM
Are you referring to something similar to the banners on this site moh ? >>>>> Danasoft IP and City Sign Widget - For Myspace Layouts and Backgrounds, Forum Signatures, Blogs (To view links or images in this forum your post count must be 1 or greater. You currently have 0 posts. If so it's only you that can see your own information, everyone see's there own.

Thats the one berley and as i pointed out in my post whats the point in this and who needs it,i certainly dont need to be reminded what ip user i use what windows,what my ip address is etc so basically all im saying is whats the point its useless and it does ward off new members and when i i see it i get pretty peed off to be honest :(

moh
25-10-2010, 09:12 PM
Hi m8
Are you talking about this thing they ad to there sig that shows your ip ?
What thread or post was it m8

This one DD http://www.world-of-digital.com/forums/f94/happy-birthday-ureyesonly-37540.html#post198905

berley
25-10-2010, 09:15 PM
did you click the link i put up moh ? no one sees anyone else's personal information, all you see is your own information, the link explains it better

ooops soz i didnt read your reply from a min ago, yea i guess it can spook out anyone that doesn't understand that its only their own info that they can see, but tbh its not worth upsetting anyone by asking them to remove it as you see it all over the net on other forums.

moh
25-10-2010, 09:25 PM
did you click the link i put up moh ? no one sees anyone else's personal information, all you see is your own information, the link explains it better
I can see what your saying berley and all im saying is i dont like it and never did on other forums and im sure new members wont like it either,ill leave it at that :sad:

Magnu420
25-10-2010, 09:33 PM
i dont really notice it when im browseing either that too much of :high:
:roflmao:

moh
25-10-2010, 09:44 PM
My internet security means alot to me and i wouldnt like to see it compromised, seeing my internet details on another members post doesnt appeal to me and if it upsets "override" then so be it,this is my last post on WOD .

berley
25-10-2010, 09:47 PM
moh its not just override that has it in his sig, if it really upsets you that much then do what red suggested, but i think you'll find that nearly any forum you go on you'll always find someone displaying it.

Magnu420
25-10-2010, 09:55 PM
as berley says only you can see the info,and not the other people

and we cant make the member to stop using this siggy/avvi gif because
it is not offencive or anything in that nature,these siggy/avvis gif are
widley availeble on the net,but dont let this put you off posting

fergalsworld
25-10-2010, 09:57 PM
My internet security means alot to me and i wouldnt like to see it compromised, seeing my internet details on another members post doesnt appeal to me and if it upsets "override" then so be it,this is my last post on WOD .
As berley says your the only one that can see your info if i look at overrides post i see mine just like any other members see's there's

that trick has been out for years and is all over the net on most forums
if you are a member on any other forums i will guarantee you will find it in someone's sig on there and when you do are you going to leave that forum too cos if you are you might as well unplug your pc cos its everywere lol

moh
25-10-2010, 10:20 PM
And all im saying is i dont like it regardless of who sees it or not,is not feedback good on a forum?

fergalsworld
25-10-2010, 10:25 PM
And all im saying is i dont like it regardless of who sees it or not,is not feedback good on a forum?
We welcome all feedback positive or negative
the trick is not offensive,rude,dangerous or does it compromises anyone's security so wod has no problem with members using it,
i can assure you, you are the only one who can see your own information.

Diablo13
25-10-2010, 10:37 PM
First of all I agree with moh that it is a daft gimmick, which I personally don't like much either!
I am aware of what it is and that it is widely used by some people in forums as part of their signature. I don't believe however that it is a security risk in any way, although I agree with the point about it being disconcerting to new members.
Personally I don't think that Override would actually have a problem with removing it from his signature if he was asked nicely?
As the mods have said it would be wrong to enforce such a restriction on someones signature, though I see no harm in it being pointed out to the member as being ill advised to use it because it may put off or worry some members?

moh you have contributed some very useful posts to this site and and I hope you continue to be an active member.
You are surely an experienced enough pc and forum user to know that no harm can come of this in a signature and that it is not put there with any malicious thought, but merely as a bit of fun?
I have already said that I don't particularly like it either as it seems at best a pretty pointless thing to add.
I hope however you can see past it and continue to post here for the education and enjoyment of the rest of us here, who both enjoy and learn from your posts?

moh
25-10-2010, 10:47 PM
Absolutely well said Diablo13,, As for ferg theres my feedback if i have something to say i will say it regardless if mods admin agree or not.

fergalsworld
25-10-2010, 10:58 PM
As for ferg theres my feedback if i have something to say i will say it regardless if mods admin agree or not.
As i stated previously we welcome all feedback be it positive or negative
but we dont deem it to be a problem so it will not be getting removed,
its a bit of fun maybe you need to lighten up a bit and dont take things so seriously as there are far more serious and nasty things going on in the world than to worry about a little trick someone has in there sig on a internet forum :rolleyes:

moh
25-10-2010, 11:08 PM
Ok ferg the likes of WOD doesnt need someone like me who cant lighten up (look at my posts) flipping ridiculous out of you,i didnt ask you to remove it all i said was i didnt like it,i dont like that gimmick plus i dont like the software that can read my ip address, browser etc etc,enough said.

berley
25-10-2010, 11:16 PM
It's not just that software that can read your info moh, this is copied and pasted from the site that makes the banner, the only difference with the banner is it shows your own info - To view links or images in this forum your post count must be 1 or greater. You currently have 0 posts. This sign makes people realize how vulnerable they are when surfing the web. If you're visiting this site wondering how we know your IP address, you should know that your IP address is automatically shown to every website you visit, including this one. Even if you just view an image from a website, like the Danasoft graphic, your IP is broadcast to that site. If that matters to you, make sure your computer is protected by a firewall, and consider using an anonymous IP browser (http://www.anrdoezrs.net/click-2570964-10411140).

fergalsworld
25-10-2010, 11:23 PM
Ok ferg the likes of WOD doesnt need someone like me who cant lighten up (look at my posts) flipping ridiculous out of you,i didnt ask you to remove it all i said was i didnt like it,i dont like that gimmick plus i dont like the software that can read my ip address, browser etc etc,enough said.
You dont like it, fine you have let us know end of then :-"

Diablo13
25-10-2010, 11:50 PM
its a bit of fun maybe you need to lighten up a bit and dont take things so seriously as there are far more serious and nasty things going on in the world than to worry about a little trick someone has in there sig on a internet forum :rolleyes:

It's surely all a matter of perspective Fergals?
If a member is genuinely not happy about something on the site then it should be taken seriously.
moh has been one of our most usefully contributing members in the short time he has been here and I think it would be our loss if he goes?
As you said "there are far more serious and nasty things going on in the world", most of which we can't do anything about. However if we take your line of logic and all devote ourselves to those "more important things", then there will be no more WOD?
Surely politely asking Override if he would mind altering his signature because the joke has worn thin and another member finds it disturbing, is not a bad thing, its just a bit of politeness to accommodate all members?

fergalsworld
26-10-2010, 12:17 AM
Moh feedback was taken seriously, he was given an explanation by a few that it was not a security issue for him or anyone else for that matter so that should have been the end of it.

As for politely asking override to remove it what happens when another members puts it in there sig do we politely ask them to remove it? then another and another,etc

As stated previously its not offensive,pron,dangerous,or compromises anyones security so override and anyone else can have it in there signature even if the joke has worn thin or not

we believe in freedom of speech and members being allowed to have things in there sig as long as its within the forum rules

we are not big brother and it would be a sad day for wod if we ever started to act like it and began to tie members hands and limited them to what they could have in there sig just because a member dont like it, also what about all the members who might like it and find it funny?

PS as moh has said he never asked for it to be removed he just dont like it

Diablo13
26-10-2010, 01:09 AM
I don't particularly like it either Fergals, but I accept what you said and your point.
Fair enough, explanation asked for and given, Thanks.

Reddevil
26-10-2010, 10:27 AM
Like i said in post 4, if you dont like it turn off the displaying of it http://www.vrbforums.com/forum/images/smilies/simplescopy.jpg

billy8791
26-10-2010, 07:16 PM
moh don't take this the wrong way

i like your posts and useful info that you put into this forum,
but i feel you are wanting to change things in here before you have learnt to adapt to them.
people on this forum are very patient and will do their best to help others but when you are a new member you need to leearn that to gain respect you need to show and give respect.
this forum as been plodding along for a few years now with very little complaints and alot of praise,
don't expect to come here and try lay down the law and expect things changing because you don't like it.
i believe one of the mods opened a thread where you can post ideas,
i suggest you post and voice your opinion in there and take it from there mate.

sorry if i sound abrupt but i used to work with someone who sounded just like the way you sound and as you can imagine if you look back at your posts he didn't last right long as he tried to lay the law down before he learnt to adapt

maca58
26-10-2010, 09:18 PM
as a rather new member here with next to no posts i reckon we are all at risk every time we log on. if this said subject really was a security issue we wouldn't have such signatures...just my opinion..maca..

moh
26-10-2010, 09:50 PM
moh don't take this the wrong way

i like your posts and useful info that you put into this forum,
but i feel you are wanting to change things in here before you have learnt to adapt to them.
people on this forum are very patient and will do their best to help others but when you are a new member you need to leearn that to gain respect you need to show and give respect.
this forum as been plodding along for a few years now with very little complaints and alot of praise,
don't expect to come here and try lay down the law and expect things changing because you don't like it.
i believe one of the mods opened a thread where you can post ideas,
i suggest you post and voice your opinion in there and take it from there mate.

sorry if i sound abrupt but i used to work with someone who sounded just like the way you sound and as you can imagine if you look back at your posts he didn't last right long as he tried to lay the law down before he learnt to adapt

I absolutely havent a clue where your going with your reply on this thread billy and with no disrespect intended on you,if you read my initial post i didnt ask anyone to remove that signature i said i didnt like it that was all,indicating that i am out to change this forum is absurd and ridiculous,i voiced my opinion on one thing and that was that,as for you stating that you worked with someone like me ?>?...you dont know me atall billy or what i am about, what you make me out to be in your post well im sorry to say but you are entirely wrong hence why i am now posting on this thread.Enough said.

notanotherone
27-10-2010, 08:53 AM
MOH has a problem with it ,he voices his opinion as hes entitled to, nothing wrong there, he gets explanation nothing wrong there ,he starts discussion and even tho hes not happy he,s still ok ........end of :roflmao:

Diablo13
27-10-2010, 10:26 PM
We get many new members signing on.
A lot of them only ask one question applicable to themselves, then disappear again.
That is very sad because a site which has quantity of members but not quality members becomes boring!
I hope we don't slip into decline like that, but I think it is a shame that we lost a quality working and interesting member such as moh, before he had been here long enough to earn the respect he would inevitably have gained. All over nothing really!
That is just my politicians opinion, as always with the sites overall interests in mind.

DessertDog
28-10-2010, 10:34 AM
Have we lost a good contributing member? just because he had his say and some didnt like it or the way what he posted was interpreted.I thought it was freedom of speech but then again i could be wrong Nao's correct in what he says its a bad way to loose a contributing member some of the replies leave a lot to be desired to be honest.Just my opinion dont flame me.

Diablo13
28-10-2010, 03:59 PM
moh pm'd me to thank me for my support.
From the tone of his pm I would say that he has lost interest in the site, in particular I think he took offense at Fergals;
" its a bit of fun maybe you need to lighten up a bit and dont take things so seriously"
comment, as he has posted humorous articles before!
It is not for me to pass judgment on that on that comment, I am merely stating what I believe to be the state of play.
Maybe moh will come back and comment, or have a change of heart, who knows. He obviously takes his security very seriously and expressed his valid opinion on that point.
As DD said it was some of the comments criticizing him for making that point, as he is entitled to, which upset him and made him (I believe) feel his input was not wanted?
To be totally fair, as I always try to be, moh may have been a bit too sensitive in this case, however it is still a shame if we have lost a potentially very useful member and a future respected?
I hope you reconsider and decide to stay with the site moh?

notanotherone
28-10-2010, 04:30 PM
, moh may have been a bit too sensitive in this case, however it is still a shame if we have lost a potentially very useful member and a future respected?
I hope you reconsider and decide to stay with the site moh?

here here

fergalsworld
28-10-2010, 05:15 PM
Well if he took offense at that throw away humerous comment then maybe i was justified in saying it in the first place.

Moh was told on numerous occasions in posted replies from admin,mods and members also in pm's from a mod that there was no threat to his security on this site and it was just a bit of fun, he accepted the explanations but then posted that it would be his last post on wod.

so in around about way with out actually coming out and saying it, he was putting wod in a position where we either removed the sig to keep him happy and maybe upset a long standing member along the way and also upset any other members who might have it in there sig as well, or leave it and hope moh takes it in the meaning of which it is done A BIT OF FUN with no threat to his or anyone's security.

Its Moh choice and his choice alone to make if he decides to leave or stay and wod will respect whatever decision he makes.

DessertDog
28-10-2010, 05:26 PM
To be fair Fergals he never asked for it to be removed he dint want is removed as both you and he have posted it was as i see it the comments not the fact he was putting admin or wod in a difficult situation.He had his say and was flamed for doing so.Well thats how i see it.Moh comeback bud.

fergalsworld
28-10-2010, 05:48 PM
I know he never actually asked for it to be removed moh stated that in pos 19 and i myself in post 23 but if you read post 8 he says "lets leave it at that" but then in his following post says "My internet security means alot to me and i wouldnt like to see it compromised, seeing my internet details on another members post doesnt appeal to me and if it upsets "override" then so be it,this is my last post on WOD"
that can only be interpreted as saying if it stays im leaving, nothing else.

He was not flamed by admin or mods, 2 members voiced there opinion and moh replyed to there comments putting them straight on a few things and as i see it that should be the end of the matter.

Diablo13
28-10-2010, 09:56 PM
It is all a moot point now!
At least it led to a lively discussion.
The only post we need to see added to this thread is one from moh himself, giving more of his opinions on our opinions?
There is little point in any of us discussing this further without his personal input, which I hope moh will give, if he reads the rest of the thread and realises that he has some support on here?

moh
01-11-2010, 08:41 PM
Thanks to DD Diablo and notanotherone for their support on this thread,i am not on this site to cause trouble or upset anyone and i am certainly not out to change it as was mentioned,i simply voiced my opinion on an open forum,what is wrong with that ? anyone that is a regular member or visitor to a forum will find that they come across certain issues that they don't like,is it not better to say what you think rather than hold off and not log into that particular site anymore,i believe in open discussion,i didn't like the attitude of either like a certain issue or lump it and yes WOD will probably be still here when im gone but if a site has a major turn over of members that don't really contribute to the forums then whats the point, forums such as this need quality posts to keep it where it is,if the posts are not being posted then im sure the interest will dramatically drop off (im hypothetically speaking here) we could have all the admin or mods in the world on a site like this but without members its nothing,and yes im a newbie on WOD and i don't think i have to serve my apprenticeship on a site before i can display a dislike for something that's not what i am about.
Anyway thanks again to those members that showed support ill see you around the threads :)

Diablo13
01-11-2010, 09:06 PM
I completely agree with your above comments moh, and your right to post them! :thumbup2:
I'm always glad to see anyone speak their mind, so long as it is done in a reasonable way as you did, because that promotes healthy discussion.
Welcome back to active posting and contributing to the site, even if some of those contributions are farts! ;) :roflmao:

wullboy
01-11-2010, 09:52 PM
Anyone for a beer :p

berley
01-11-2010, 10:48 PM
Thanks to DD Diablo and notanotherone for their support on this thread,i am not on this site to cause trouble or upset anyone and i am certainly not out to change it as was mentioned,i simply voiced my opinion on an open forum,what is wrong with that ?

There?s nothing wrong with that, but bear in mind that everyone else is just as entitled to voice an opinion just as you were, you might not like their answers but they didn?t break any rules with the replies so their point was just as valid as yours was.

anyone that is a regular member or visitor to a forum will find that they come across certain issues that they don't like,is it not better to say what you think rather than hold off and not log into that particular site anymore,

It?s just a pity you didn?t adopt the same attitude when you ?threatened ? to leave.

i believe in open discussion,i didn't like the attitude of either like a certain issue or lump it

I don?t quite undertand what you are trying to say here ?

and yes WOD will probably be still here when im gone but if a site has a major turn over of members that don't really contribute to the forums then whats the point, forums such as this need quality posts to keep it where it is,if the posts are not being posted then im sure the interest will dramatically drop off (im hypothetically speaking here) we could have all the admin or mods in the world on a site like this but without members its nothing,and yes im a newbie on WOD and i don't think i have to serve my apprenticeship on a site before i can display a dislike for something that's not what i am about.

You can display a like/dislike for whatever you want on here, just be prepared to take all the replies on the chin, it?s a forum we?re running here and you wont always agree with the replies you get, most members either put up or shut up, they don?t usually reply with hissy fits and threaten to leave. It?s usually the mods that do that :roflmao:

Anyway thanks again to those members that showed support ill see you around the threads :)

welcome back :)

notanotherone
02-11-2010, 11:47 AM
either put up or shut up, they don?t usually reply with hissy fits and threaten to leave. It?s usually the mods that do that :roflmao:

hope this remark isnt aimed at anyone in particular

wullboy
02-11-2010, 05:57 PM
either put up or shut up, they don?t usually reply with hissy fits and threaten to leave. It?s usually the mods that do that :roflmao:

hope this remark isnt aimed at anyone in particular

well said nao..... now keep off the beer :wink3: