PDA

View Full Version : How To Test your anti-virus software

moh
06-10-2010, 07:41 PM
Have you ever wondered if your anti-virus software is really working? Would you like to see what happens when it detects a virus? Here's a safe way to test your computer's virus protection that doesn't require you to have a real virus sample.
First, open Notepad. Then copy and paste into it the text on the line below.
X5O!P%@AP[4\PZX54(P^)7CC)7}$EICAR-STANDARD-ANTIVIRUS-TEST-FILE!$H+H*
Then select File, Save, select All Files for the file type, then save the file as eicar.com
Your anti-virus software may prevent you from saving the file as eicar.com, which is a sign that it is working effectively. If it doesn't raise an alert, try scanning the folder where you saved eicar.com. To see what happens if you try to run a file containing a virus, double-click eicar.com to open it.
The file eicar.com you have created is completely safe. It is not a virus. It is a standard test file developed by the European Institute for Computer Anti-virus Research (EICAR). All anti-virus products are programmed to detect this file as if it was a real virus. Therefore you can safely use it to test whether your anti-virus software works, without fear of infecting your computer.
If your anti-virus product should fail to prevent you from running the file, it will simply display the text "EICAR-STANDARD-ANTIVIRUS-TEST-FILE" in a DOS box. No harm will have been done, but you should probably consider using a better anti-virus product, because if it had been a real virus, your computer would by now be infected!

Diablo13
06-10-2010, 08:13 PM
Windows Security Essentials instantly detected the text file as soon as I tried to save it.
A good quick test moh, thanks. :thumbup2:
I knew it was working before, but its always nice to test and confirm things are working correctly every now and again.
You really can't knock Security Essentials because for a free download it is very efficient and probably the most useful addon ever to come out of Microshaft!
All of you still using the free AVG anti virus, with all its false positives, please take note! :teacher:

moh
06-10-2010, 08:18 PM
Windows Security Essentials instantly detected the text file as soon as I tried to save it.
A good quick test moh, thanks. :thumbup2:
I knew it was working before, but its always nice to test and confirm things are working correctly every now and again.
You really can't knock Security Essentials because for a free download it is very efficient and probably the most useful addon ever to come out of Microshaft!
All of you still using the free AVG anti virus, with all its false positives, please take note! :teacher:

I posted this on forums before and you would be suprised with the feedback i got back showing which antivirus didnt pick this false virus up,if members could post back here and let us know which antivirus did and which didnt pick it up as it would be helpful to other WOD members.

Diablo13
06-10-2010, 08:27 PM
I posted this on forums before and you would be suprised with the feedback i got back showing which antivirus didnt pick this false virus up,if members could post back here and let us know which antivirus did and which didnt pick it up as it would be helpful to other WOD members.

A great idea, I hope a lot of people test their anti virus programs and report back saying which one's did and which didn't detect it.
That way both they and we will know which are good and which aren't?
If you find out your's didn't work then you know to change it and maybe even save some money as well as being more secure!

Magnu420
06-10-2010, 09:39 PM
seen this before somewhere ??
anyway i did it as soon as i saved the note
MSE picked it up and deleted it

billyboy1963
06-10-2010, 09:58 PM
I have AVG Internet Security and it found and deleted it straight away

wullboy
06-10-2010, 10:06 PM
yip, try to save it but avast would not let me, Cheers m8

notanotherone
07-10-2010, 11:16 AM
Windows Security Essentials instantly detected it for me ........twice :roflmao:

berley
07-10-2010, 02:21 PM
It seems loads of us are running MSE and like the others have said my one picked it up straight away when i tried saving it.

Cheers for posting, its always nice to double check safely that your anti virus is working.

moh
07-10-2010, 08:27 PM
Thanks to all who replied with feedback on this thread.

tylerchig
02-02-2011, 04:28 PM
It seems loads of us are running MSE and like the others have said my one picked it up straight away when i tried saving it.

Cheers for posting, its always nice to double check safely that your anti virus is working.
hi AVG let me save it ,but when i scanned it,it found and deleted it straight away.

Ureyesonly
02-02-2011, 07:41 PM
NOD32 done its job as it always do's

Diablo13
12-08-2011, 09:04 PM
I always liked NOD 32 and found it very efficient.
MSE, which I replaced it with also works very well, with the added advantage that it is completely free, with no need to crack it to keep it active.

Hoagy
17-09-2011, 04:25 PM
I always liked NOD 32 and found it very efficient.
MSE, which I replaced it with also works very well, with the added advantage that it is completely free, with no need to crack it to keep it active.

Old thread i know but for anybody using NOD32 software i thought i would share a useful tool i found
If your fed up of looking for licenses this does it for you: To view links or images in this forum your post count must be 1 or greater. You currently have 0 posts. Install and you can either let it run in the back ground (checks for licenses on start up)
Or when your licenses expires you can just choose "insert licenes with the maximum expiration date" from the start menu.
It will then download and insert the license for you.
works with all NOD32 softwares.

notanotherone
17-09-2011, 04:32 PM
nice post hoagy why didnt you make a new one as maybe some newbie wouldnt think of looking here in an old post?

Spinifex
17-09-2011, 04:44 PM
Old thread i know but for anybody using NOD32 software i thought i would share a useful tool i found
If your fed up of looking for licenses this does it for you: To view links or images in this forum your post count must be 1 or greater. You currently have 0 posts. Install and you can either let it run in the back ground (checks for licenses on start up)
Or when your licenses expires you can just choose "insert licenes with the maximum expiration date" from the start menu.
It will then download and insert the license for you.
works with all NOD32 softwares.

Thank fook for you hoagy, im sick to death of inserting new ones from sodding blogs!!!!!!!!!

niceone m8.
been looking for something along those lines for years.

Spin.

Hoagy
17-09-2011, 04:49 PM
nice post hoagy why didnt you make a new one as maybe some newbie wouldnt think of looking here in an old post?

I havnt been around for a while... due to personal reasons
saw diablos last post about swapping NOD32 for another anti virus product and it just popped into my head to share the licenses finder.
ive been using it for years with nod32 smart security 4
enjoy

Diablo13
17-09-2011, 04:53 PM
Welcome back Hoagy, always nice to see an old member come back again.
Try not to be a stranger now.

wib_1
16-12-2013, 01:37 PM
avast flagged it up straight away as soon as i clicked save