PDA

View Full Version : homeplugs ?

berley
06-10-2010, 12:15 PM
I'm thinking about putting my spare DM600 in the bedroom what's the best thing to use to get it connected to the net ? I was thinking about home plugs but dont know if thats the best option, also can someone give me a link if they suggest anything

ta :zoom:

fergalsworld
06-10-2010, 12:26 PM
Homeplugs are the easiest option you can get them from here next day delivery
plug and play:)
http://www.faculty-x.net/85mbps%20homeplug.htm

notanotherone
06-10-2010, 04:18 PM
i bought mine from maplins

DessertDog
06-10-2010, 05:46 PM
could you not put a wi fi dongle in the usb slot if it has one?

Magnu420
06-10-2010, 09:51 PM
dm600 dont have a usb slot

you can get homeplugs from here Flashbyte Net Ltd Solwise HomePlugs (To view links or images in this forum your post count must be 1 or greater. You currently have 0 posts. or there this on fleabay 2 x 200mbps TWIN POWERLINE ETHERNET HOMEPLUGS ADAPTERS on eBay (end time 13-Oct-10 22:00:33 BST) (http://cgi.ebay.co.uk/2-x-200mbps-TWIN-POWERLINE-ETHERNET-HOMEPLUGS-ADAPTERS-/180533732284?pt=UK_Computing_Networking_SM&hash=item2a08a623bc)

pande_monium
08-10-2010, 04:38 PM
Another alternative is to have a wi-fi print server or wifi game server (can't recall what the technical term is... help!) to connect wirelessly using the ethernet connection.

This can be a cheap option if you've got a spare wifi router lying about in your house. All you have to do is to enable 'extending' your existing network using your main router and 'extend' using the new router.

Cons - can be slow if you have mixed n/g/b/a compliant devices connected to your router. If your wifi network is pure n or pure g, then it should be ok. If G, then you might see some freezing/glitching sometimes.

Diablo13
08-10-2010, 11:24 PM
Thanks for the useful tip pande. :thumbup2:
I have a spare vermin wireless router kicking around somewhere, so I will have to try this.
Presumably I just connect my main router to the secondary one with an rj45 cable?

pande_monium
09-10-2010, 06:44 PM
Thanks for the useful tip pande. :thumbup2:
I have a spare vermin wireless router kicking around somewhere, so I will have to try this.
Presumably I just connect my main router to the secondary one with an rj45 cable?

There's 2 ways you can do it... I've used the 2nd option because my 2nd router was upstairs and I wanted to connect my Drobo (which had the ethernet port). Connectivity options are:

One end of the RJ45 cable goes to one of the OUTPUT ethernet ports in your main router. The other end would go into the INPUT port of the secondary router. This is hard cabling so will be faster, but more restrictive because of the physical connection. You usually have the option to create a 2nd network or extend the existing one.
On the main router's setup (web or s/w) there is usually an option to allow 'extending' the network. You'll need to enable this. On the secondary router you'll need to set the option to 'extend' an existing network i.e. act as an access point instead of acting like the main router.

Because each router is different (although similar), best thing to do is to read the guides for both routers to achieve your objective.

aldo2332
23-10-2010, 09:40 AM
I'm thinking about putting my spare DM600 in the bedroom what's the best thing to use to get it connected to the net ? I was thinking about home plugs but dont know if thats the best option, also can someone give me a link if they suggest anything

rather than having wires running round the house these are the best option.

https://To view links or images in this forum your post count must be 1 or greater. You currently have 0 posts. not really cheap but work really well. You will need your DM600 near a spare plug socket obviously. These will open up the opportunity to ...... cardshare if i dare say so. ;)

notanotherone
23-10-2010, 10:48 AM
rather than having wires running round the house these are the best option.
https://To view links or images in this forum your post count must be 1 or greater. You currently have 0 posts. not really cheap but work really well. You will need your DM600 near a spare plug socket obviously. These will open up the opportunity to ...... cardshare if i dare say so. ;)

ooo you little devil aldo :roflmao:

Reddevil
23-10-2010, 11:05 AM
might invest in a couple of these just read the reviews pretty good, the wireless versions reviews didnt get so good tho :p

notanotherone
23-10-2010, 06:44 PM
might invest in a couple of these just read the reviews pretty good, the wireless versions reviews didnt get so good tho :p
for your purpose i wouldnt go wireless ;) as i said i bought a couple from maplins well worth it ......2 mins to fix up ,plug into mains (both of them )1 ethernet cable from router to one......... one from your (in your case ......box) to the other

mirabee
28-10-2010, 04:05 AM
The cheapest way to do is to fit the rooter next to box and just use TP-Link 150Mbps High Gain Wireless USB Adapter and you can use the USB Adaptor to any computer around the house and they only cost ?17.00.

knine
04-11-2010, 08:28 PM
will home plug still if not on the same ring mains ...as I have 2 ring mains in my house? have been told that it should work as the use the earth? anyone know ....please

notanotherone
04-11-2010, 09:45 PM
will home plug still if not on the same ring mains ...as I have 2 ring mains in my house? have been told that it should work as the use the earth? anyone know ....please

tbh i have one of mine upstair connected to my router on an extention and the other in my living room connected to a wall socket and mines work gr8 i think you may be right about the earth part

Timoweb
11-11-2010, 03:25 PM
You could use a open wifi bridge they are not as expensive as home-plugs.

OpenMedia Wifi Bridge - Make Your Dreambox Wireless on eBay (end time 02-Dec-10 15:06:26 GMT) (http://cgi.ebay.co.uk/OpenMedia-Wifi-Bridge-Make-Your-Dreambox-Wireless-/190463749839?pt=UK_ConEle_SatCableFreeview_RL&hash=item2c58862ecf)

You will need to power it with a DC adapter to work on a 600 but search ebay you should be able to find one like above but with the power sup.

tonybod
15-11-2010, 04:06 PM
tbh i have one of mine upstair connected to my router on an extention and the other in my living room connected to a wall socket and mines work gr8 i think you may be right about the earth part

I don't think it has anything to do with earth (the earth pin on all of my homeplugs is plastic).

From the documentation, they will link to anything connected to the same meter (beyond the meter is where their connection will no longer work).

Homeplugs get my vote, they are great.

BraveHeart
21-11-2010, 04:15 AM

one word "sh*t*" but thats an opininion of a gamer etc, suppose if you just surf the web and check email they be ok, apart from that pure and utter sh*t*

i have had them and gave them away free, mates have had them and gave them away free, but we all play games, so as i say, unless you use your internet for practically nothing like looking on wod or other places, they are sh*t*, dont waste your money.

berley
21-11-2010, 11:12 AM
I'm thinking about putting my spare DM600 in the bedroom what's the best thing to use to get it connected to the net ?

unless you use your internet for practically nothing like looking on wod or other places, they are sh*t*, dont waste your money.

Reason for use quoted above

10mg
21-11-2010, 02:57 PM
it really depends on the speed they are rated for you can get slower and faster ones!

BraveHeart
21-11-2010, 03:01 PM
Reason for use quoted above
they will work for what you need but anything anything else i would recomenned you run an ethernet cable from your router diret, it makes a MASSIVE DIFFERENCE, but its up to yourself., please trust me,

Diablo13
22-11-2010, 01:00 AM
When I looked at reviews of some of the homeplugs available a while back, especially the slightly more expensive 300mbps ones, all the reviews were great!
There are many places where it is simply impractical to run an ethernet cable, like in multi level homes and even garden sheds/workrooms.
Ok for online gaming they may be a bit slow, but they're not really designed for that!
For browsing, media streaming, uploading and downloading files they are more than adequate.
You are condemning a piece of kit which is very useful to many people, just on the basis of one very limited application Braveheart! :dunno:

BraveHeart
23-11-2010, 12:16 AM
When I looked at reviews of some of the homeplugs available a while back, especially the slightly more expensive 300mbps ones, all the reviews were great!
There are many places where it is simply impractical to run an ethernet cable, like in multi level homes and even garden sheds/workrooms.
Ok for online gaming they may be a bit slow, but they're not really designed for that!
For browsing, media streaming, uploading and downloading files they are more than adequate.
You are condemning a piece of kit which is very useful to many people, just on the basis of one very limited application Braveheart! :dunno:

not condeming, just telling the truth from my experinces and my mates, ideally you want a hard cable connected at all costs, and theres not many houses you wouldnt be able to do just that, unless she lives in a place thats impossible then thats different, but the homeplugs will be fine for her as i said, unless she suddenly wants to start playing fifa football online or something like that, LOL, which i doubt, thats when they are no use at all, apart from that yes they will be ok for someone whos not into gaming and things, thats a fact.