PDA

View Full Version : Microsoft Windows Vista

weerydo
25-07-2006, 11:15 PM
has anyone used this new version of windows? am thinkin of buying it and wonderin wot its like

Shipoftheline
25-07-2006, 11:25 PM
Its hungry and if you like games I'd say you will need around 2GB of ram

mohamm
25-07-2006, 11:26 PM
i havent personally tried it, coz i got a legitamate computer this time, so im keeping my operating system legal
but other people have said that it is very good

are u being serious? i dont beleive that! my computer is top of the range, and i only got 1gb from manufacturer

dav316
26-07-2006, 04:22 AM
yeah recommend minimum of 2 gig if your a gamer it does seem to eat the memory,

no doubt they will fix it

Dave

Shipoftheline
26-07-2006, 11:05 AM
Basically Microsoft have left all the taps running and made it look very pretty. They don't seem to be arsed that alot of people out here just want an OS to run what we want and not what they want

little_pob
26-07-2006, 01:34 PM
has anyone used this new version of windows? am thinkin of buying it and wonderin wot its like
Its still in 'beta', you should be able to download it (for free) from the Vista website:
To view links or images in this forum your post count must be 1 or greater. You currently have 0 posts. Microsoft hope to be shipping to PC manufacturers by October this year. Public sale is slated for December 06. However, the Beta has an 'expiry date' on it of 1 June 2007, and so some people are not expecting Vista to appear on shelves until that date.

Basically Microsoft have left all the taps running and made it look very pretty. They don't seem to be arsed that alot of people out here just want an OS to run what we want and not what they want

I like that analogy.

MS seem to have asked themselves 'how can we beat Apple's OSX?'.

Well just making it more secure and stable would satistfy most (we'll have to see how Vista's new 'secure' kernel gets on). Those that want flashy 3d desktops and transparent windows can install the 3rd party software thats redily avalible off the internet, thank you Billy G.

Interestingly, Boot Camp has recently shown that OSX runs slower than XP on a dual boot Mac. This bodes badly if Vista is going to emulate elements of OSX.

weerydo
26-07-2006, 09:39 PM
my mate has it and his pc runs really slow, could this be due to vista?

mohamm
26-07-2006, 09:40 PM
according to the posts above, it looks like it!

olavnorsk
26-07-2006, 09:46 PM
I've tried it on 3 PCs Fairly High Spec, still runs like a dog
Had major Graphics card driver issues with earlier versions.

It should be good but the hardware you need to support it will need an interest free loan just to pay for it

give it 3 months and try it then
Olav

Shipoftheline
26-07-2006, 10:50 PM
(we'll have to see how Vista's new 'secure' kernel gets on).
Thought it was another modified version of the Windows 2000 one like XP & the XBOX used

little_pob
28-07-2006, 01:36 PM
Thought it was another modified version of the Windows 2000 one like XP & the XBOX used

It is, but access is supposedly heavily restricted, as programs running in 'kernel mode' will have to have all sorts of security certificates (tho' the #1 result on a google search for 'vista kernel security' proves differently).

Plus its looking like you will have to run in administrator mode to install anything. This is already recommended practice for XP users, i.e. a passworded admin account for installing programs etc, and a 'restricted use' account (with no installation rights) for day to day use.

There is a short, easy to understand article on how this is supposed to work in the August '06 PC Format (even I understood it!).

mohamm
28-07-2006, 06:20 PM
that is well stupid

all just to make more money!

well u gotta upgrade your computer to get the benfits havent ya?

Shipoftheline
28-07-2006, 07:20 PM
that is well stupid
all just to make more money!
well u gotta upgrade your computer to get the benfits havent ya?

There aren't any real benefits its just a gimmit and the hardware companies are right behind them because of all the upgrades that will be needed

mohamm
28-07-2006, 08:43 PM
the thing is that they dont even help us out by creating new add ons so you can have all the new stuff on a windows 95 either!!

no virus's (well not many), much faster etc!

ttandrew
28-07-2006, 09:35 PM
I seen a Microsoft demo of Vista at a dev conference and it does look pretty sweet. However to run it at full spec will need some pretty impresive hardware i.e. min 256MB graphics card (talk was of 2 graphics cards to get the most out of it ??), high spec CPU, loads a ram etc

Also the new security stuff as previously mentioned looks an absolute nightmare, popups all over the place with security warnings etc.

mohamm
28-07-2006, 09:47 PM
not worth the upgrade then is it?

unless u get a brand new top of the range computer

Shipoftheline
28-07-2006, 11:03 PM
not worth the upgrade then is it?
unless u get a brand new top of the range computer
This is when the spin comes into it Halo 2 for PC will be Vista only I heard because it will be Directx10. We know its not directx now but it will be when they have finished with it :gun:

the_hawk
12-08-2006, 07:41 PM
vista seems to be pretty greedy on the ram usage as the minimum system spec for a vista compatible computer is 1GB ram but this beta version run pretty slow on 1GB needs at least 2GB to run effectively if u run a lot of programs at once

y2krog2000
13-08-2006, 08:25 AM
I tried the 64bit and the 32bit versions of vista and didnt like either of them, they looked good but it was a lot slower then xp and there wasnt the support for tv card drivers or gamepad controlers yet. I would stay away from vista until it gets released properly. Its also very slow if you were wanting to play games. I used 1.5gb of ram with an amd athlon 3200 64 and the cpu display for the desktop always had it at least 10% when idle and at least 50% when doing anything else on it. You can download a pack that makes xp look exactly the same as vista and it runs alot quicker than vista to. You call it the vista transformation pack.

y2krog2000
13-08-2006, 08:30 AM
If you want to see if your computer can handle vista install the upgrade advisor and it will tell you if it will work and what things wont work on your pc. h**p://www.microsoft.com/windowsvista/getready/upgradeadvisor/default.mspx

callisto11
14-08-2006, 01:26 PM
XP is 5 years old, so its long overdue for overhaul.
PCs have been becoming more and more powerful, and cheaper and cheaper in that time, so whats needed is a new OS to take advantage in the modern PCs. (And before anyone else adds the comment maybe this OS can be Linux or MacOS !)
Vista is currently in development, so saying "its too slow" is true, but not a valid statement of the final product, as currently it contains masses of debug code. Apart from the public beta which has been released there are plenty of interim dev releases which come out to the beta testers.

Once it comes out then you will not be able to purchase XP any more, as it will be installed on all new PCs.

Shipoftheline
14-08-2006, 01:39 PM
XP is 5 years old, so its long overdue for overhaul.
PCs have been becoming more and more powerful, and cheaper and cheaper in that time, so whats needed is a new OS to take advantage in the modern PCs.

I agree but a new OS doesn't mean something that needs so much resources just to look pretty

y2krog2000
14-08-2006, 06:05 PM
Saying its to slow is right, you need about 3gb of memory to run vista properly "even the released version" and most computers dont have it.

kaloo
17-08-2006, 03:51 PM
my friend had used it and its eaten alot on harddisk.just for the windows.

mr_kizah
21-08-2006, 12:36 PM
they have gone for looks but in honesty you do need a powerful pc. The min spec for the os may not look all that much however this min spec would mean you loose all the cool stuff so no point in upgrading at this point realy if you do not have a high end machine.

callisto11
22-08-2006, 10:54 AM
All new PCS will come with Vista once its been released (sometime Q1 next year). Based on past experience you will not be able to buy XP once Vista comes out.
If XP works for you, and does everyhing you need, then there will not really be any reason to pay good money to upgrade to Vista, unless you want the cool graphics, and then you will need to PC powerful enough to run the graphics. All modern PCs since 2005 should be able to cope with Vista, one way or another (Vista capable)..
Complaining that it needs fast hardware is neither here nor there, as hardware is getting faster anyways. Intel have released Core 2, Core2 Duo. AMD have just bought ATI and have released AM2 chips. All these at the same sort of money as before..

Husky
22-08-2006, 11:21 AM
I am a bit shocked reading about the Hardware requierements for Vista, since I was not aware of it. I mean 2 Gb is a lot, I am still running my Shuttle Barebone with 512 Mb.

I am planing to wait at least 6 month after its on the market and than see. I will upgrade my system anyway next year, so I should be fine, but for me its important anyway how much they would want for Vista.

If its a crazy price, I will stick to XP. I mean XP is running and there are so many tools out which can at least turn the Look and Feel of XP to Vista, if you really need that.

But all I can say now is wait and see. Did anyone hear about prices yet?

callisto11
22-08-2006, 11:36 AM
MS don't issue pricing until close to the product release date.
There will be a number of different variants of Vista, like there is Home and Pro editions of XP, there will be 5 different versions of Vista !
Business, Enterprise, Home Premium, Home Basic and Ultimate.
As it will supersede XP, I would expect the pricing to start at the same level..
And you can pay more to upgrade to the other versions (with the more features) if you need to later on.

There are described here :

Windows Vista: Editions (http://www.microsoft.com/windowsvista/getready/editions/default.mspx)

Husky
22-08-2006, 12:31 PM
Yes I heard about the different versions, but was just wondering if prices have come out yet. Maybe not the official but often there are some precise rumours out before the product is on the market. This will really influence my decicion, since I will need to buy some more software next year and that will be a lot of money aswell.

For me the Windows Vista Ultimate will be the right Version I would guess.