PDA

View Full Version : Dell developing 7 inch iPad rival

thelostone
24-09-2010, 06:49 PM
Dell is developing a 7-inch tablet as it experiments with handheld devices with different screen sizes. CEO Michael Dell showed off the tablet for the first time on Wednesday at the Oracle Openworld conference.
The tablet is just a prototype, said Matthew Parretta, a Dell spokesman. He could not a provide a release date or pricing for the device. Dell is looking at different scenarios for using its mobile devices, and the tablet will ship if customers ask for it, Parretta said.
The introduction came as Dell tries to make its presence felt in a tablet market dominated by Apple's iPad, which has a 9.7-inch screen. If Dell releases the tablet, it could compete with Samsung's recently announced Galaxy Tab, which also has a 7-inch screen.
Dell has already released a mobile Internet device called the Streak, which has a 5-inch screen and voice features. The device runs on the Android OS.

billyboy1963
24-09-2010, 09:31 PM
It will be very interesting to see what Dell come up with and at what price

berley
24-09-2010, 09:40 PM
I like the ipad but it's way over priced for what is essentially a bigger version of the iphone, so it'll be interesting to see if dell can come out with a really competitive price for it.

Diablo13
24-09-2010, 09:42 PM
The really huge innovation to this type of technology will come with the "foil" screen.
I remember seeing it advertised in a technology program on the telly.
The screen is housed in a tube with most of the electronics. You simply pull the flexible screen out like a roll of parchment!
Can you imagine putting say a four inch tube in your pocket, opening it telescopicaly to say 12 inches and then pulling the screen roll out to say 20 inches?
Bye bye laptops, Netbooks and bags, a truly portable all media interface, more than big enough to work on, that you could put in your trousers pocket to impress the girls with? :wink:

billyboy1963
24-09-2010, 09:43 PM
saw this on tv severral years ago but still does not seem to have come into every day use yet

berley
24-09-2010, 09:45 PM
Bye bye laptops, Netbooks and bags, a truly portable all media interface, more than big enough to work on, that you could put in your trousers pocket to impress the girls with? :wink:

It'll happen one day, until then us gals will just need to wait with baited breath :seasaw:

thelostone
24-09-2010, 10:01 PM
Do you mean this stuff??
YouTube - Sony Flexible Full Color Paper Screen (http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=k6bkmPjVF-k)

billyboy1963
24-09-2010, 10:25 PM
thats the stuff

Diablo13
24-09-2010, 10:26 PM
Is that awesome or what lost?
The YouTube presenter was gibbering on about glitches when you bend it???
So don't bloody bend it when your using it!
With something so portable and requiring no backlight, battery depletion would be almost negligible, giving it long usage hours on a very small power pack.
Think of the power saving, space saving application as a telly?
No large expensive Vesa brackets needed to mount it on a wall. Just mount the box and pull up the lightweight screen when you wanted to watch, like a projector screen without the need for the projector and its limited life, expensive bulbs.
Now that is the way forward in an energy conscious green society?

berley
24-09-2010, 10:32 PM
With something so portable and requiring no backlight, battery depletion would be almost negligible, giving it long usage hours on a very small power pack.

i hope anne summers

reads this post :roflmao:

Diablo13
25-09-2010, 12:06 AM
LMAO @ berley.
Yet more proof the technology has passed women by. :p

notanotherone
27-09-2010, 01:13 AM
The screen is housed in a tube
Can you imagine putting say a four inch tube in your pocket, opening it telescopicaly to say 12 inches and then pulling the screen roll out to say 20 inches?

am sure i do that the now and i think i can stretch to about 14 inches the now :roflmao:

Diablo13
27-09-2010, 01:20 AM
LOL, nao you really have been on form today.
Some of the funniest comments I have seen from you in a long time and this one about your Dreams, has to be the funniest of them all! :p