PDA

View Full Version : Sky 3D Gets 1 October Launch Date

thelostone
24-09-2010, 05:44 PM
Sky 3D will officially launch on Friday 1 October 2010, Sky has confirmed today and will be free to all Sky HD subscribers.

Content-wise, Sky said that it has lined up deal with all the major studios, such as Disney, Fox, Universal, Warner Brothers, Paramount and DreamWorks ? though we noted that Sony is not on the list.

When queried on this, a Sky spokesperson said that, "we?re in discussions with all of our studios and will confirm further content partners as we near launch... it would be inappropriate to comment on the status of commercial negotiations."

For now though, movie-wise, the films Bolt and Monster vs. Aliens will be shown at launch, with 3D titles such as Alice in Wonderland, Ice Age ? Dawn of the Dinosaurs; Coraline; Fly Me To The Moon and Harry Potter & The Half Blood Prince all appearing in the run up to Christmas.

Sky is pushing the Ryder Cup for sports, as long as you like golf, and Premier League football matches too.

tinkertiler
24-09-2010, 05:50 PM
Does this mean we have got to buy a new tv or will it work on normal tvs with the glasses?

thelostone
24-09-2010, 05:58 PM
Does this mean we have got to buy a new tv or will it work on normal tvs with the glasses?
How can I watch Sky 3D at home?
Sky's 3D preview channel will be available to Sky+HD customers on Sky World with HD pack, and who have a new 3D-ready TV from 3 April. When the channel is activated, all you need to do is switch your TV to 3D mode (please referto your TV manual for instructions), put on your 3D glasses and enjoy Sky’s amazing 3Dpreviews
The short answer to that is yes,you will need a new tv

Diablo13
24-09-2010, 06:11 PM
From the little I have seen of 3D, by looking in Currys, I am still not impressed.
The idea of having to wear glasses to watch it, especially as I am in the process of doing without glasses at all for the first time in years, seems like too much of a nuisance. This seems to be the main problem people in general have with the concept at the moment.
A review I read about 3D telly brought out a valid point; In the cinema you are in almost complete darkness, with a huge screen filling your vision. In the home however, no matter how big your telly, you have a peripheral vision of the rest of your room! Some of the glasses work by switching on and off very rapidly, meaning that you will get a disturbing flicker of the rest of the room which you can't block out!
For now now I still think 3D vision is still a gimick, which you will get quickly tired of and then not bother to use.
In the cinema, for the couple of hours you watch a film, or if you have a large screen projection system, the application may be more popular and useful?
I finally got round to watching 'Avatar'on dvd the other day and I really enjoyed the film. I don't actually think I missed out on anything by not watching it in 3D, especially as full surround sound is so imersive?

tinkertiler
24-09-2010, 07:32 PM
Im still puzzled how you "have" to have a new tv as channel 4 a couple of months ago broadcast a lod of programs in 3d for everyone to watch and anyone could view them as long as they had the glasses! So why all of a sudden is a new tv needed to view these pictures!! What a rip off if you ask me and if you are stupid enough to go out and spend 2000 quid on a new tv then more fool you! What a complete waste of money and it will go down the same route as it did in the late 70s early 80s down the pan and then some idiot brings it back again in a few years to try and combat piracy which was the main reason it came back to the cinema lol

Diablo13
24-09-2010, 08:31 PM
True 3D tv is supposed to need an 120hz refresh rate.
To provide the image the screen flashes the picture very fast to provide fluid movement of the images and the glasses are synchronized to that speed.
Hence the need for a new telly.
(I don't even see the need for a Blu Ray player, but then I am a member of the "arr Jim Lad eye patch and parrot society"!)
At about ?120 a pop for each pair of glasses, that is another large expense on top of the price of your telly. If you are a family of 4, or you get m8's round to watch the footy, that makes it a very expensive set of 'bragging rights'!
There is actually research and development being done on a "True 3D" by Samsung I believe, which does away with the need for the glasses altogether! Within the screen there is either a second screen slightly offset drom the first to show the 2 images closely side by side, once again giving the illusion of depth of picture.
I have also read that it can be done with some kind of internal mirror array, which bounces the picture back on itself!
These sets may well be some way off, and no doubt too expensive for most of us to even consider, but technology advances at an ever greater speed and the prices of producing it drops according to market forces and saturation. With OLED screens needing ever thinner cabinets and lower power consumption, the idea of two screens in one may not be so far off.
Only then will we start seeing 3D tv in it's glory, not just a clumsily rushed artificial version of it.

billyboy1963
24-09-2010, 09:23 PM
I bet they will not have many people watching in 3D except for the really rich who can afford new tv's on a whim

tinkertiler
24-09-2010, 10:26 PM
The new Nintendo DS console is out soon and that is 3D without the need for glasses so when that comes out it will be interesting to see what it looks like. Still wont be buying a new tv though lol

traga
24-09-2010, 11:03 PM
Does the 3D need the new software update that is currently being rolled-out to all HD boxes or is the software update not required and is mainly for getting Anytime+?

billyboy1963
24-09-2010, 11:16 PM
I think the latest update is just for Anytime+

traga
24-09-2010, 11:29 PM
Thanks. I'm quite worried about the poor old Thomson boxes, as they seem to be on the brink of collapse as it is and I don't know if they'll take a major update well. It may be time for a new box, but I've generally always hated Amstrad and that seems to be the only option currently available.

billyboy1963
24-09-2010, 11:32 PM
mine is a phillips - don't they do those anymore

traga
24-09-2010, 11:46 PM
mine is a phillips - don't they do those anymoreI guess you mean Pace, but since Sky aquired Amstrad they seem to be only pushing them.
I'm going to wait and see what the Thomson does when it eventually gets the update - you never know it may actually run better as it is supposed to be based on Linux.

Diablo13
24-09-2010, 11:47 PM
While I have previously not been a fan of Amstrad products myself, I have say that the Amstrad Sky+ box that I have is very good.
If it has a limitation it is the 500 gb hdd that is installed in it.
Purely because If you record in hi def it uses 3% of your space each recording, so it soon gets full!
There is a newer model updated 1 terabyte Amstrad box and if you are going to update, I would go for the bigger hdd.

ttt1892
25-09-2010, 04:32 PM
I bought a 50" Samsung 3D tV and 3D bluray player at half price.No, I`m not rich. My TV stopped working,so as buying a new TV is a costly business and you don`t expect to buy another within at least 5 years,I thought I`d better buy a one that is future proof.So I bought a 3D one.So now I`m looking forward to the Sky launch.At the minute they are saying all 3D content is free to HD customers.I wonder how long it will be before they have the movies on pay per view? By the way the cost of the glasses have come down from ?120 each,I got 4 pairs for ?61 each.WHOOPI DO!

ttt.

billyboy1963
25-09-2010, 04:35 PM
last of the big spenders lol - hope it's worth the experience

thelostone
25-09-2010, 07:14 PM
last of the big spenders lol - hope it's worth the experience
The ground-breaking service - Europe's first 3D channel - kicks off with an exciting line-up of movies and live sport.
It will be available to any Sky+HD home that has invested in a 3D ready TV.
The launch weekend highlights will include this year's Ryder Cup, with three days of live coverage from Celtic Manor.
It will also feature two of the biggest grossing 3D films to date - Bolt and Monster vs. Aliens.
The Sky 3D channel line-up will continue to expand in the run-up to Christmas.
Movies include Alice in Wonderland, Ice Age - Dawn of the Dinosaurs, Coraline, Fly Me To The Moon, Harry Potter And The Half Blood Prince and My Bloody Valentine.
Sky has agreed with Disney, Fox, Universal, Warner Brothers, Paramount and DreamWorks to showcase the very best of Hollywood in 3D.
Sky, which owns Sky News, will also offer a range of live sport, including Premier League football.

Diablo13
25-09-2010, 08:04 PM
By the way the cost of the glasses have come down from ?120 each,I got 4 pairs for ?61 each.WHOOPI DO!

Sorry to disappoint you ttt, but those are just sun glasses! :9:

On a more serious note Mr Rothschild ;), I would be very interested to hear your opinions on watching 3D for extended viewing, I mean using it to watch as you would a normal telly and if you think the 3D version adds anything to the program?
I agree with your logic that if you have to replace your set, then you might as well embrace the latest technology if you can.
I have heard that some people can get motion sickness, or headaches with 3D, but I don't know anyone who has watched it for more than a few minutes.

billyboy1963
25-09-2010, 08:15 PM
people with a tendancy for epilepsy have been warned that the active 3D glasses may cause seizures if worn too long

ttt1892
25-09-2010, 08:17 PM
To view links or images in this forum your post count must be 1 or greater. You currently have 0 posts. To view links or images in this forum your post count must be 1 or greater. You currently have 0 posts. ttt.

ttt1892
25-09-2010, 08:23 PM
I was going to wait until LG brought their Passive TV out, but there were 2 reasons why I didn`t.Firstly the obvious one I needed a new TV after mine broke.Secondly the LG 46" Passive TV is going to be around ?2000 and the deal I got was a Samsung 50" 3D TV for ?1200, less than the high street stores are charging for the Samsung 46" 3D TV.

ttt.

billy8791
26-09-2010, 03:39 PM
going out next weekend to get my 3dtv where did you get that deal from mate i have ?1600 to spend but by the sound of it you got a good deal - so the spare cash could go towards some extra glasses

thelostone
26-09-2010, 03:47 PM
I was going to wait until LG brought their Passive TV out, but there were 2 reasons why I didn`t.Firstly the obvious one I needed a new TV after mine broke.Secondly the LG 46" Passive TV is going to be around ?2000 and the deal I got was a Samsung 50" 3D TV for ?1200, less than the high street stores are charging for the Samsung 46" 3D TV.

ttt.

going out next weekend to get my 3dtv where did you get that deal from mate i have ?1600 to spend but by the sound of it you got a good deal - so the spare cash could go towards some extra glasses
I hope when you two get your shiny new toys, if you can pull your selves away long enough you can write a review so all of us can see how good/bad your new toys are

billy8791
26-09-2010, 03:56 PM
will do mate can't wait jus in time for launch of sky aswell

notanotherone
26-09-2010, 07:43 PM
makro were doing a samsung 3d 40 inch tv+blue-ray dvd plyer +2 pairs of glasses and a monster v aliens dvd for 899 quid a

Diablo13
26-09-2010, 08:50 PM
makro were doing a samsung 3d 40 inch tv+blue-ray dvd plyer +2 pairs of glasses and a monster v aliens dvd for 899 quid a

Never heard of Makro nao?
You got a link, that would be helpful?

billy8791
26-09-2010, 08:57 PM

i think they have a makro in leeds so i will go down there next weekend,
only thing is i thing prices are ex vat soo 899 will make it 1056.32 which is still well under my budget:hot:

notanotherone
26-09-2010, 09:02 PM

here you go

MCC | Makro Mail Login | Makro Cash & Carry Members Mail | Tradecard User Login (http://www.makro.co.uk/servlet/PB/menu/1171234_l2/index.html)

ttt1892
27-09-2010, 01:43 PM
Billy I got mine from Amazon,it was delivered free in 4 days.You get 1 free pair of Active 3D glasses.If I was you Billy I would get the biggest TV you can afford.You are right aboout Makro,the prices look good until they add the vat.I`d rather pay the extra couple of hundred quid and get the 50",you won`t regret it.I got the bluray player for ?180 brand new,usually cost between ?300-?340,but to be honest there is only 4 or 5 3D films available at the minute,so best to wait until there`s more variety and the price of the player has come down.

Here`s a link to an even cheaper one,this is the one I have:

SAMSUNG PS50C7000 Plasma TV | Laskys.com (To view links or images in this forum your post count must be 1 or greater. You currently have 0 posts. vd+%2F+Plasma+Tvs+%2F+50+Inches+And+Above+%2F+)

ttt.

ttt1892
27-09-2010, 01:55 PM
I hope when you two get your shiny new toys, if you can pull your selves away long enough you can write a review so all of us can see how good/bad your new toys are

The longest I have watched the TV in 3D is about 20 minutes,I was watching the demo on sky. Because my TV is situated in the bay window,I have daylight either side and above the TV.At first you do notice the flicker if you view the daylight,but there is no flicker at all viewing the actual TV screen.After a couple of minutes you forget you have the glasses on and the viewing is brilliant.With this TV you can also make normal 2D programmes/movies 3D,it isn`t as good as proper 3D programmes/movies,but it`s still very good/clever.
I will add further details once Sky start their 3D channel.Looking forward to the golf,the demo of the golf,makes you think you are actually at the side of the green.

ttt.

ttt1892
09-10-2010, 12:55 PM
After finally watching a full film in 3D, I`ve now decided that it`s not all it`s cracked up to be.I watched Cloudy With A Chance Of Meatballs the other day and I have to say the 3D effect is none existent. I wrote a couple of weeks ago that I went to see Toy Story 3 at the cinema,and that it was a con as there is no 3D effects in it. The idea of 3D is that stuff is supposed to come out of the screen at you.It simply doesn`t happen. Watching the Ryder golf last week was good as it brought the greens to life. But for movies it`s a waste of time.Granted there is more depth to the characters,but after about 10 minutes the effect wares off,and you may as well be watching 2D TV.I don`t see it as a waste of money on my part,as my TV had broken I had to buy a new one.But I would advise people not to bother spending the extra on a 3D TV.

Oh and I also wrote a while back on how long it would take Sky to make movies on their 3D channel pay per view.The answer, 1 week! They are showing Streetdance on their 3D channel for pay per view on Wednesday.

ttt.

billyboy1963
09-10-2010, 02:31 PM
Sky after the big fast bucks already again - it didn't take them long

Diablo13
09-10-2010, 08:35 PM
The Gadget Show did a pros and cons review of 3D tv last Monday.
The jury is still out with one presenter Jason, a self confessed early adopter of new technology, not being impressed but John Bentley, having tried it at home being very enthusiastic about it.
Given the current price to upgrade your tv and the small amount of 3D content available at the moment, I would say it is not worth getting yet, unless you needed a new tv anyway as in ttt's case.
By waiting, the technology has a chance to both drop in price and mature and improve. It also gives time for more content to become available, or not, as the case may be?

One interesting thing that did come out of the Gadget Show review was the fact that the non reactive cheap glasses gave a very good effect. They were lighter and didn't need charging. They also remove any problem of peripheral flickering so might reduce the risk of headaches!
As they only cost about ?20, as opposed to ?60-120, they are also less painful financially to replace or add further pairs to!
I would suggest anyone going into buying a 3D tv might want to try the non reactive glasses out first, before they spend serious money on reactive glasses, especially if they have kids.

From a purely gaming point of view though, the 3D effect seems to be much more worthwhile. :-?
Personally I am still not yet convinced of the value of 3D tv for general entertainment, a view borne out by ttt's useful earlier post.

ttt1892
10-10-2010, 01:13 PM
I saw the gadget show as well Diablo. Of course there will always be different opinions to whether 3D is a good thing or not, but the fact is there is no real 3D effect. I want things to jump out of the screen, this doesn't happen. I've been to Disneyland in Florida and Paris, where they have shows on the big screen in 3D and you get the true effect of stuff coming right up to you out of the screen. I don't think it has anything to do with the size of the screen, as I sat pretty close to my tv(50") to simulate the cinema. Still no effect. You are right about the prices coming down. My setup cost:
50" Tv ?1299
3D bluray player ?183
3 pairs 3D glasses ?189
Total:?1671

PC world are doing the same package for ?999! Unbeleivable.The passive glasses, the cheap ones, are even cheaper than you say. The ones you get at the cinema are the same. You can use them with the new panasonic tv that is coming out. I have 5 pairs I was going to use when I bought that tv, but the combination of the price and my tv breaking down, plus the fact the passive tv isn't out yet forced me to buy the active 3D tv. Another reason why people should hold onto their money. Is that Phillips are bringing out a 3D tv at Xmas that doesn't require glasses! Maybe that's why pc world have dropped their price so heavily. Although I reckon the Phillips tv will probably cost around ?4000.
TTY.

ttt1892
10-10-2010, 01:49 PM
While I'm giving my opinion about the non existent 3D effect. I have now watched 2 films in 3D. Cloudy With A Chance Of Meatballs, not very good. And Ice Age 3, I enjoyed that although still no real 3d effects. Now I do believe these 2 movies weren't originally made in 3D. So maybe this is the reason the effects are non existent. I am going to watch My Bloody Valentine when it gets shown on sky this week. I do believe this was made purposely in 3D, so maybe I will get to see real 3D. I will give a review afterwards
This Barry Norman signing off.

ttt.

billyboy1963
10-10-2010, 05:25 PM
Await you review with anticipation lol

Diablo13
10-10-2010, 06:27 PM
Thanks for the update ttt.
I understood from the Gadget Show review that the passive glasses worked with any of the current crop of 3D tvs?
As that is what John Bentley was watching.
Isn't that the case?
If you have both reactive and no-reactive glasses, perhaps when you watch "Valentine" you can try both pairs for a bit during it and tell us if;
1. the passive glasses work at all with your tv,
and
2. if there is a noticeable difference in the 3D effect you get between the 2 glasses when watching the same film?

The Currys price drop makes 3D a more affordable and interesting proposition. I am still not in a rush to get one, mainly because I only just replaced my tv, but as I believe those tv's have a 600hz refresh rate, making them sharper for action scenes/sports, even without the 3D effect it does make them more tempting!

ttt1892
10-10-2010, 06:40 PM
The quality of picture on these tvs is amazing. The passive glasses will not work with these tvs.The tv has some sort of emitter built in and the glasses have to sync with it for the 3D effect to work.With the passive tvs,the screen is made up of horizontal and vertical pixels(I think that`s what they are) and the passive glasses somehow pass this onto your eyes.

ttt.

Diablo13
10-10-2010, 06:51 PM
It wasn't made clear in the Gadget Show review that the passive glasses will only work with some tv's, at least I don't think it was?
The review was supposed to be about 3D tv's currently on the market.
If that's not the case, then the whole review was very misleading!
I think I will have to look at the Gadget Show online and see what else I can glean from that!

Timoweb
09-11-2010, 05:17 PM
This aricle by LG is a good read.

3D TV - LG 3D Ready - LG Electronics UK (To view links or images in this forum your post count must be 1 or greater. You currently have 0 posts. It explains the difference between Active and Passive TV's quite well.

Gazer
10-11-2010, 11:58 AM
The quality of picture on these tvs is amazing. The passive glasses will not work with these tvs.The tv has some sort of emitter built in and the glasses have to sync with it for the 3D effect to work.With the passive tvs,the screen is made up of horizontal and vertical pixels(I think that`s what they are) and the passive glasses somehow pass this onto your eyes.

ttt.

Like ttt as said

I have the samsung 680 3D tv
The quality of these TVs are amazing as with them having freeview HD built-in and a 600Hz sub-field drive plus 50" all for ?950 in my eye's was a good buy for me, as most of the 50" HD plasma at the moment are around that price, so having 3D built-in plus a 3D blu-ray player and 4 pairs of glasses was a bonus to me for the same price.

At the moment the two things that let it down for me is the Active 3D glasses using them in the day is no good as all you can see from the sides is the day light flickering all the time,

and the second thing is there is not much 3d stuff about at the moment IE: films
and i do think sky are upscaling there 3D channel on most things that is being shown at the moment expept sports.