PDA

View Full Version : Microsoft: Blu-ray is going to be passed by as a format

tinkertiler
24-09-2010, 09:06 AM
Microsoft believes that the Blu-ray format won't last long, and it will be ?passed by,? before it can become the format of choice of the gaming industry. Speaking to Xbox360Achievements.org, Stephen McGill, Xbox UK boss says:

"I think people may have spoken about that originally, but that's long gone. I think people now recognise what a smart decision it was to keep the pricing low, and actually Blu-ray is going to be passed by as a format."

He then went on to add: "People have moved through from DVDs to digital downloads and digital streaming, so we offer full HD 1080p Blu-ray quality streaming instantly, no download, no delay. So, who needs Blu-ray?"

billyboy1963
24-09-2010, 09:45 PM
quite a bold statement to make

Diablo13
24-09-2010, 10:06 PM
It is however backed up by the fall in the price of Blu Ray players.
They can now be had by the skipload, even from high end manufacturers like Sony and Panasonic, for less than 100 quid with all the most important features included!
I never expected Blu Ray to win the war against Hi Def. Only Sony's money and influence pushed it through because they could not really afford to lose after so much was spent on development!
Now we have a so called primary format, which the majority of the user market is not particularly interested in buying.
Blu Ray films can be had for a tenner or even a fiver a couple of months after their release, at places like Asda or Play.com.
When even a massive drop in price is not enought to stimulate an uninterested market place, you really are on a hiding to nothing!

tinkertiler
24-09-2010, 10:18 PM
I dont think it will take off like the DVD players did the blue ray films may well look very pretty ect ect but you can get the same quality on digital download as ms said without the need for other hardware! So whats the point in buying another dust collector for under the tv when you can play digital ones through your tv via xbox or ps3 or pc? I can see the blie ray market sort of taking off then failing as it just sits back with nothing new to offer

billyboy1963
24-09-2010, 10:27 PM
could be a lot of boxes gathering dust then soon

Diablo13
24-09-2010, 10:44 PM
Blu Ray, like DAB radio has now been around for quite some time.
No matter how they choose to massage the figures, both of them have failed to take off in a substantial way.
Dab radio will survive because we will have no choice but to switch when analog transmissions are switched off in 2015.
But for most people it will be adopted under duress!
As you say tink you can strean Hi Def through many media center devices, with truly great sound and vision quality.
Strange that the Hi Def format as a disk medium lost out to Blu Ray.
But in actual fact the format as quality streaming media has won hands down!
Proof to me that the format should never have lost out in the first place.
It was purely a victim of greedy Sony managing to manipulate the market to save its own ar$e after an over expensive development strategy left them with egg on their faces.

tinkertiler
24-09-2010, 11:05 PM
It wasnt just sony that invested in Blue Ray if i remember correctly Samsung had a very big part in it too. Ive got a blue ray reader in my PC and i purchased 5 films when i got the drive and that was well over a year ago. Ive still only got 5 blue ray films lol and no plans of buying anymore of them lol