PDA

View Full Version : EA Locks Used Sports Games Out of Online Multiplayer

tinkertiler
12-05-2010, 08:17 AM
Electronic Arts is the king of the sports game market with hot upcoming titles including NCAA Football 11, NHL 11, Madden NFL 11, NBA 11, FIFA 11, and EA Sports MMA. Now it has made a controversial decision concerning all of those titles -- it will lock players who buy used copies out of online multiplayer.

"Online services, features and bonus content" will all be covered by a one time code, that won't work for the new purchaser. EA describes, "You will be unable to play multiplayer online game modes or use your downloaded content in online game modes."

Used purchasers do gain access to a 7 day trial, but they will have to purchase a $10 pass if they want to continue to play online

full story - DailyTech - EA Locks Used Sports Games Out of Online Multiplayer, Asks for $10 Fee (To view links or images in this forum your post count must be 1 or greater. You currently have 0 posts. er+Asks+for+10+Fee/article18346.htm).

tinkertiler
21-05-2010, 07:20 PM
Looks like the other games producers are thinking this is a good idea as UFC10 has this too which is good in one respect as pirates wont be able to play online without paying something to them

tinkertiler
21-05-2010, 10:53 PM
Well maybe but at a guess they cant combat it by the sound of things so this way at least they get something BUT the second hand game market will suffer and peopl will get stuffed with this on ebay. Im just a bit concerned about the fact that if your xbox packs up and you have to get a new one how this will work!

Diablo13
21-05-2010, 11:19 PM
A few years ago I bought "Half Life Generation" for the PC.
It had the full 4 games leading up to "Half Life 2".
I couldn't install or play it though because the activation codes had been used!
The only way to use it was to send all the manuals etc to 'Sierra' the games publishers in America, with about ?15 for a new activation key! :sh:
Ballcocks, I never bothered as I would have paid for the game twice then!
The upshot of that was, if thats how they want to play, dirty, then so will I and just download most games instead.
Then it's their own fault that it costs me nothing!
In the words of the profit, FU*K EM for being so greedy!
:HiFlip: They can now kiss my posterior orifice!

tinkertiler
22-05-2010, 03:27 AM
I download games myself for the 360 i wont deny that fact BUT i would say out of 30 games that i have downloaded i would only purchase one of them! And i downloaded the DLC for that game off xbox live which cost me money. I know that the games companies must be feeling the pinch of the pirating that is going on but when you look at most of the games that are released they are just simply not worth the money! Take Call Of Duty MW2 its a great game on single player but you can complete the game in under 2 hours!!! Now that aint worth ?50 of anyones money! The game developers are straying to the online market further and further which is not good. EAs Bad Company 2 is another one the single player is not even close to as long as the first one which was brilliant! The second one is good but just short so to get your money out of that game multiplayer is the only way to do it! This is why i like car racing games PGR4 took me ages to complete! And i mean a long time and loved every min of it. COD and Battlefield over in hours PGR4 and Forza 3 over in weeks! And multiplay on both of them very good. Who is getting ripped off here??? We all are no one seems to care about single player anymore which is just a shame to me