PDA

View Full Version : limits for wireless broadband

cactikid
04-04-2010, 10:45 PM
my broadband is not cable but wireless on roof of building which goes down to their modem which in turn is connected to a wireless peak router this router is connected to 2 pcs and 3rd
cable going into a 12com port,from that i have dlan plugs going through sockets { 13amp } upstairs and downstairs,laptop downstairs i use wireless which can take a while to disable and enable again, 2 sat boxes into a 5 port hub one of which i cannot get a connection to network,network test comes up failed,finding address ok,i have reset modem and routers many times but it does not fix the problem.can you over do the amount of things plugged into the ethernet even if not in use,i phoned provider up and they said maybe too many ids to work and getting confused to connect.who is brave enough to answer lol.cheers

10mg
04-04-2010, 11:04 PM
erm, all i can think of is that the connection is limited to the amount of computers/peripherals it can have

On a cable modem it's called

'max number of cpe's'

and that would be in the modems configuration.

But i'm no expert by far

Max number of CPE's

Max number of CPE's

dx100-uk
05-04-2010, 01:59 AM
sorry explain that again.
you say your isp connection is via a wireless link to them?

sorry you lost me

dx

mrjunes
05-04-2010, 08:31 AM
just a guess but do you have the mac address filter switched on in your router?. as that would kick you off if you havent registered the mac address in the router, mac filtering i think its called its to stop peeps from hooking on to your wireless connection just another piece of security on the wireless router.

cactikid
05-04-2010, 08:36 AM
yes my area is so old it is not wired for cable yet,so i was limited to wireless broadband,it has a square shaped panel about 8" x 8" x3" facing by line of sight to their base station,i just noticed this morning.
Can I network the equipment to other computers ?
Yes ? using a suitable device you can share the connection with up to 3 computers in your house for the Home service, and can connect any of the Business services to your office network. You may not share the service with other houses, apartments, other businesses, or with any other third party. For network installations you may need to purchase additional equipment. dam it 2 pcs wired laptop wireless and then satboxes connected as well,maybe i need a new set up lol.
my provider is digiweb Wireless Broadband

dx100-uk
06-04-2010, 02:12 AM
ok great thought as much good guess on my behalf.

now, not worked on one of these for a good number of years but bear with me, its in me braincells somewhere.

if mem serves me correct, you can be limited to the number of assigned IP's FROM THEM. [it has a strange DHCP IP leasing scheme]

what you p'haps need to do is this:

use only ONE ethernet port from their box & connect that to a wireless router with enet ports that has its OWN DHCP server.
then never use their wireless signal to gain access with your devices [unless you want that device to have priority]

that way you cannot be limited because you are not using THEIR IP range.

it will matter not HOW you connect to any device FROM your own DHCP server [wired or wireless] it should work it all out for you and you should keep the same speed.

just be aware that ANYTHING you connect direct to via their box [wired or wireless] will take priority and use their IP's and take the bandwidth away from other devices down the line.

now on to a test, with the way you have it set at present.
remove acouple of devices, and see if you can get the non working dbox to fly.
if not, take the one that is working offline and try that lead.

not worked on that type of BB for about 10yrs now but there are probably network tools still around that can be deployed to sniff out your issues.

you might also want to start doing some diagnostics on the received signal their box is getting [if you connect to the web interface on their box there should be a signal strength and quality indication info page]
IF your squarial has NEVER been realigned in the last few months [years?] they are VERY touchy. you might find a tweak or two greatly improves things. what also helps too is to CLEAN the front facia with baby wipes, i bet its well black by now.

there are lots of tweaks you can do, but if the improvement details are still on the net i dont know

nuff to be going on with for now

dx

cactikid
06-04-2010, 10:23 PM
their box only has 1 ethernet out and 1 phone out,ethernet cable plugs into my peak wireless
router where 3 cables come out feeding 2 pcs and 12com port and other bits plug into that.
i have been contacted by another provider imagine wimax who are doing the area and maybe the best part transmitter 1/2 mile away as other provider i think 40miles away,i did have a service call out to check my signal last summer and it was a tree problem due to line of sight
maybe time to upgrade while they are in the area as i also asked any limits to how many things i could connect they said none.
i might try just connecting one cable straight to router and see.if it works that way,there is no way i am going on top of roof doing a king kong lol.thanks for your input as i though i had new technology .

10mg
06-04-2010, 11:18 PM
I was thinking he had a satelite connection never thought it was a proper wireless isp like parts of europe have!

dx100-uk
07-04-2010, 01:10 AM
having never heard of peak
i've just done some reading up
can you give me the model number
it seems they are zytels in sheeps clothing and according to forums can be vastly improved by installing a firmware upgrade for the zytel
as the peak software is 2006/12 and they never released an upgrade.

now as for you connection ratsnest i bet that is playing a part in this too

what s the 12com you keep mentioning.

dx

cactikid
07-04-2010, 10:24 PM
peak 802.11n/b/g wireless broadband router.
the other i have is a 12 port not a 12com as said

3Com SuperStack 3 Baseline 12-Port Ethernet Switch (3C16464C)

dx100-uk
07-04-2010, 10:41 PM
this one:

To view links or images in this forum your post count must be 1 or greater. You currently have 0 posts. as long as you have this set as an AP with DHCP enabled you should be ok

dx