PDA

View Full Version : HDD/Twin DVB-T/DVD recorder/Series record

didsss
03-04-2010, 06:39 PM
Just asking if any of you lovely people know of a freeview box that ticks the following criteria, I have spent the last 2hours trying to track one down but to no avail....
Min 160Gb HDD
Twin freeview tuners
DVD recorder
Series record
Any suggestion would be nice, I'm afraid a Freesat option is currently not possible as there seems to be a few of those.....!!!
Rock on..!

Diablo13
04-04-2010, 01:15 AM
Humax 9300T m8.
I have one of them that I am very happy with, and I have had a couple of the earlier models as well.
320 gb Hard disk drive, great easy to use 8 day epg with one touch series recording. There is a dedicated website for Humax and it gets its firmware updates automattically through the program signal. On the rare occasions it needs one and Humax put one out. It is also HDMI and 2 scart connections and upscales to 720p.
They have come down in price since I got mine, I think to around ?150- ?160 quid. I would give Richer Sounds a look on their site, as they may be even cheaper.
If that's what your in the market for you can't really go wrong as they are also very reliable.
I just looked at your post again and it's not a dvd recorder, it's hdd, if that's important?
I made the mistake of getting a more expensive Topfield pvr a couple of years ago and hated it! I sent it back within 3 days!

didsss
06-04-2010, 12:33 PM
Cheers Diablo...I have been looking at that very model & buying a seperate DVD Recorder but the Mrs wants an Allinone as more boxes more clutter (nightmare...) also the outlaws sometimes ask us to copy progs to DVD so they can watch them, they are too tight to move into DVB broadcast era...lol
I shall keep looking...
again many thanks.

Diablo13
06-04-2010, 01:11 PM
Fair enough, but be VERY careful what you decide to get then!
I also have a Sony HXD - 995, which is a 250gb hdd and dvd recorder.
I paid 250 quid for it about 6 months ago because it was on offer and 40 quid cheaper than Curry's. After trying it out I wanted a refund from the Sony Center. They wouldn't give me one even though it was only 4 days old. Trading standards say I was within my rights, but I could hardly tell them it would not record from my Dbox could I. Which was the only reason I bought it in the first place.
It has been in its box ever since and was a complete waste of money for me as I already have a hd/dvd recorder, but it isn't hdmi!

The epg seems slow and clunky.
It has a usb socket, but you cant show video from it only music and photos.
Sony copy protection cripples it, basically it decides what you can record, not you!
I connected it to my Dbox, it has a setting on the recorder for dbox, which I thought was great. When I tried it the recorder removed most of the channels from the dbox, as it has a link for recording! Useless.
Look on Amazon for the customer reviews of some of these, Panasonic, Toshiba etc all seem to have many faults, including only one tuner!
I am trying to be helpful here because these hd/dvd recorders are expensive and often crippled by UK manufacturers copyright software.
You could buy the 2 separate recorders for less money and have no problem. Yes it may take up more room under your telly, but rather that and it works, than one recorder which is a useless pain in the ar$e!
Unless you want to buy my Sony recorder, as new cheap, then they are great! :goodluck:

didsss
07-04-2010, 01:25 PM
I have a Sony myself the predecessor to yours a HXD 810 from memory which does record from th DBox but lately it has started freezing (The Sony) and running over on recording and so needs replacing hence the hunt is on....i would get another Sony quite happily but they only have single tuners they need to catch up & do a twin tuner....

again thanks for your feedback I shall keep up my mission to find the holy grail....
Rock on...