PDA

View Full Version : long range wifi

mrjunes
02-04-2010, 06:48 PM
thought i would share this with you all, i was having trouble in parts of my home trying to connect to the internet and having drop out areas, so i did a search on the internet and came across a really but effective idea,

1: get one of those pound tins from the pound shop.
2: get a 1.5 metre lenth usb male/usb female leads.
3: get a usb wifi dongle.

firstly cut the top off completly where you put the money in,
secondly measure about 2 inches from the bottom of the tin and cut a small hole in it to accomadate the dongle,
push it quarter the way through the hole you have just cut in the tin and use sommit like gaffer tape to hold it in place,
then install the driver into your laptop/pc that came with the dongle after they,ve installed plug the usb cable into the dongle on the tin and plug the other end into your laptop/pc do a scan and look at the signal quality if its not to good take the dongle back out of the tin and turn it round and reinsert it back into the tin and re-tape it in place its amazing how much a pound tin can do to inprove reception of wifi..........just out of intrest i took my laptop out and was able to connect to a few unsecured networks a mile or so away. but this is just a guide to improving wifi reception how you use it is up to you, this info is supplied to help those with weak or drop out areas.

have fun jon.