PDA

View Full Version : sky fibre optic broadband

billy8791
28-03-2010, 07:28 PM
like the title says Sky is now doing fibre BB in areas.
to see if you can get it click the link.
Home | Sky Broadband Fibre-Optic Trial (http://skyhispeedbb.com/)
this BB is only 40mb so not as fast as vm.
but still it's a massive step forward for sky

smif
29-03-2010, 08:47 PM
10Mb up sounds good,even anywhere close to that sounds good.

Diablo13
29-03-2010, 09:38 PM
Finally there is to be competition in the fibre optic broadband market to Vermin.
It looks like interesting times ahead with BT announcing the roll out of a fibre optic system as well.
With them all announcing at once would I be right in believing that the Sky BB will use the BT optical network as it does now with the copper wire connections?
I can't believe they will be laying so many cables and probably digging up so many roads for each individual company to have it's own network hardware?

On a slightly diverse topic, those with Sky tv can now look in their program menu's and find that Sky's 3D service is due to start on Saturday 3rd of April. It will show sports in 3D. I have no idea how many people will get it, presumably those currently subscribing to Sky Sports HD channels, so it might be worth a look.
Though I somehow doubt any of our members, including Gazer will have splashed out on a 3D capable tv yet?

BraveHeart
19-04-2010, 04:55 AM
just noticed this thread...

Diablo is correct, you can be assured that the broadband offered with sky will be through the existing bt lines that will eventually be converted to fiber optic to the cabinet, its called "fibre to the cabinet (FTTC)" which is exactly the same as what Virgin Cable Broadband offer now, but bt is a long way off, i had a bt engineer tell me that he doubts that the whole rollout will ever be done and even if it is it will take many many years yet.

So I think most people that only have access to the rubbish adsl telephone line broadband shouldnt get themselves excited by this, its a very long way off unless you are in the one of the very few limited first areas to be upgraded, which i doubt, lol.

infact, thats a good point, has anyone actually heard of anyone that used to be standard adsl and now bt have upgraded the cables ? I havent, hmmmm, interesting.

p.s
there is also fiber optic broadband available in some areas of the uk, but hardly any adopt this way, the cables run through the sewage system, excellent idea, dont know why its not adopted all over the uk, simple to install, cheap to install, cheap to repair and most importantly very very fast to put in the cabling through the sewage channels.

stee01
19-04-2010, 05:41 PM
Would this mean my connection would drop every time I flush :D

Personally I agree, I'd be very surprised if this comes out any time soon. Whats even sillier is the time it took VM to release it's 50mbps package. If it takes VM years just to flick a switch, how long do you think its going to take similar minded companies to lay down cable?

Also if it's backed by the government in anyway you have to factor extra delays into the equation.

If there is a trial though like you said, I guess it's looking quite positive