PDA

View Full Version : Display problem

thesparky
26-03-2010, 12:00 AM
My 360 is the HD version October 2007, literally this minute the screen changed to vertical thin strips as it was frozen but i can still play it,

image if you will the whole screen pixelated with strips, it then flashes back on and it as clear as anything, then 5 seconds later the same again,

the box has been off all day, well for at least 22 hours so is not an over heat problem, (well if it is it sure over heated very quickly as this happened about 3 minutes into a game of MW2)

i have try the component lead and a new hdmi lead both give the same result,

even on the dashboard i get the strips so its not a disc error or lens fault,

could well be the onset on the RROD,

any ideas? :withstupid: :D

thelostone
26-03-2010, 12:20 AM
It sounds like you could be right and it could be the onset of rod, if it is over heating i use an air blower to clean out my lappy ect.It might not be the best thing to use but it gets a load of crap out just a thought.One thing i have found out about the 360 mate is even tho as i am sure you no you can get kits to repair them they never seen to last very long,so maybe you would be better off and buy a new one

10mg
26-03-2010, 12:47 AM
you could shell out for a special case

To view links or images in this forum your post count must be 1 or greater. You currently have 0 posts. there are more expensive one but they are all mostly designed to prevent rrod and help airflow

Diablo13
26-03-2010, 04:14 AM
Thanks for that link PnP.
Interesting to see a big name case manufacturer like Lian Li's take on the 360's cooling problems.
It may have some good noise and cooling points, but it is a bit HUGE to put underneath your telly?

Sparky, as it is dated October 2007, will it not still be covered by the Microshaft 3 year warranty, which was brought in because of the 3RROD problem?
It sounds to me like either a bad connection to the set, even though you have tried different ones?
Or else the gpu is on the fritz!
Given the time involved it sounds too short a time to overheat to me?

thesparky
27-03-2010, 12:41 AM
just tried it again, so off for 24 hours and after 4 minutes is done it again,

i do have the RROD fix, got it just in case as it was only a couple of quid, basically nuts and bolts

the box still works atm but not playable, as in no rrod just lines, im thinking of doing the towel trick?????

Collider
27-03-2010, 12:44 AM
Hope them towels egyptian cotton lol :)

thesparky
27-03-2010, 12:48 AM
Hope them towels egyptian cotton lol :)
they are as well lol, "price drop"

nothing to lose

well apart from two towels and my house, think i'll do it sober :D

Collider
27-03-2010, 12:50 AM
I think the smoother the towel the better the effect :roflmao: i could be wrong though :)

tinkertiler
27-03-2010, 12:50 AM
DO NOT DO THE TOWEL TRICK!!!!!!!!!! It will kill the 360 and then thats is goodnight and god bless as it will cook it even more from the inside!

The gpu is about to fail and this is caused by bad solder joints. You will need to re flow the gpu with a hot air gun and while you are at it it is advised that you do a xclamp replacement to stop it happening again but tbh after this fix has been done its not going to last long yes some people say its lasted years or weeks or even days. If you haven opened the console send it back to MS and get them to fix it say it has 3 red lights when you contact them then its covered by 3 years warranty. Thats the only sure fire way of doing it tbh. Or get a new console im afraid

Collider
27-03-2010, 12:54 AM
DO NOT DO THE TOWEL TRICK!!!!!!!!!! It will kill the 360 and then thats is goodnight and god bless as it will cook it even more from the inside!

The gpu is about to fail and this is caused by bad solder joints. You will need to re flow the gpu with a hot air gun and while you are at it it is advised that you do a xclamp replacement to stop it happening again but tbh after this fix has been done its not going to last long yes some people say its lasted years or weeks or even days. If you haven opened the console send it back to MS and get them to fix it say it has 3 red lights when you contact them then its covered by 3 years warranty. Thats the only sure fire way of doing it tbh. Or get a new console im afraid

Thats very negative towards egyptian cotton isnt it tink,apologize and be done with it lol

tinkertiler
27-03-2010, 01:03 AM
LOL well i dont think its a MS approved method of fixing them, frying them yes not fixing em lol

thesparky
27-03-2010, 07:26 AM
the more i look into it it does look like the onset of the RROD,(thanks for all the help so far) so i am going to do the fix as i have the parts to do it but im still going to buy a new 360, done some over time this week so will get it out of that :D treat myself

so im looking for the new elite version, anyone seen one on offer?

edit: had a quick look about and found the 120GB elite version for just under ?180 on amazon and argos do the same with Forza 3 for ?200, so paying ?20 for Forza but i can buy that on ebay brand new for ?15

so the cheapest so far is zavvi ?179.95 delivered

(i will just add i dont like being force feed a game like the Forza 3 deal even when i can buy it ?5 cheaper and would rather buy a game as and when i wanted to, and i do already have 4 wireless controllers so console only would be fine for me, but i do think i will go for brand new this time)

thanks

tinkertiler
27-03-2010, 09:19 AM
Sainsuburys had the Elite on offer for ?150 the other week and im sure Argos was that price too.

thesparky
27-03-2010, 11:15 AM
quick update, i took the box apart as it was out of warranty anyway, the heat shield on the CPU was very loose square heat shield as opposted to the twim slimmer shield which i belive is for the GPU,
anyway i removed the xclamps cleaned off the old paste and screwed the heashields back on with fibre washers and metal washers,
so far its been on for 20 minutes and all fine, the cover is still off atm as if it went again i was going to do this trick,

YouTube - XClamp Fix 2 (To view links or images in this forum your post count must be 1 or greater. You currently have 0 posts. will just leave it on with the cover off for now, maybe for a good hour or so to test, there wasnt much fluff inside so can only assume the heat shield was at fault and will now hopefully last till a good deal on a new xbox comes out

Diablo13
27-03-2010, 11:37 AM
It just shows what you can do when you set your mind to it.
I would guess that most faults are usually something fairly simple and even a basic clean out could make all the difference.
We forget sometimes that all these things are mass produced and assembled by machines. Doing hundreds or even thousands a day, the tolerances on these assembly bots is bound get looser, which leaves some items with loose parts which just need tightening up by hand!

Good luck with it now sparky, lets hope you have now got it sorted. :thumbup2:

thesparky
02-05-2010, 09:57 AM
so it lasted a few weeks and has now gone back to the stripey screen, so am gonna try the GPU fix without a heat gun
YouTube - XClamp Fix 2 (To view links or images in this forum your post count must be 1 or greater. You currently have 0 posts. will post back with the results

tinkertiler
02-05-2010, 10:55 AM
Sparky i think you will find that it wont get it hot enough to get rid of it forever and it will return using that trick. This is because the 360 cuts off the gpu power before the solder has time to melt properly. The only problem you have with a heat gun or using any method of heating the board if you do it wrong then youa re in danger of warping the board and then you are in a world of hurt! Worth a shot though to see if it works but as i said it may not last all that long like before.

thesparky
02-05-2010, 05:19 PM
done it for 25 minutes and it did last a good hour, so done it again for 35 mins but havent tested it yet

if i were to borrow a heat gun do you think i could heat it with the heat shield on or should i remove the shield and then heat at full power for ??? just before it melts lol

i really dont mind killing the box as i will just buy a new one tomorrow (good excuse lol)

tinkertiler
02-05-2010, 07:24 PM
If you look on youtube it tells you how to heat it you need to do it with the heat shield off and then do it bit by bit for around 10 mins then back it off so it doesnt warp the board. worth a shot to try and get it back

thesparky
02-05-2010, 11:17 PM
If you look on youtube it tells you how to heat it you need to do it with the heat shield off and then do it bit by bit for around 10 mins then back it off so it doesnt warp the board. worth a shot to try and get it back

whoops.................:D

got my black and decker 1400W heat gun (forgot i had it), nice and gently in circles for 20 seconds and then the other side for another 20 seconds, you could actually see the board warping, so decided to gentle press the GPU chip and out squeezed some solder, pretty sure ive killed the xbox lol, :)

I wonder if subconsciously i wanted too :)

followed this video (caution: contains swearing)
YouTube - How to Fix Your Xbox 360 Using The Heat Gun Technique - Easy/Best Method... (To view links or images in this forum your post count must be 1 or greater. You currently have 0 posts. anyway will leave it for a little while and test, dont expect it to work :thumbdown:

update: 3 red lights, looks like its dead, xbox rip :asu:

tinkertiler
03-05-2010, 12:05 AM
LOL just stick it on ebay as spares repairs and get rid of it and get a few quid back for a new one lol

thesparky
03-05-2010, 12:14 AM
im assuming i shorted the gpu so i think ill just pull the fan and drive out of it and keep the hard drive, dont see much point in the power supply as my other xbox has a different plug, pity i cant clone this to my off-line xbox

just had a quick look at asda and they are doing the elite version with forza3 and halo 3 for ?197, about 15 minutes drive away, so will treat myself

Diablo13
03-05-2010, 04:14 AM
Go back over the Jtag thread to see which models you should be looking for. If you need to get a new box, you might as well get one with all the mod cons if you can?
LOL, just realized as I typed, "mod cons", sounds like tinkertiler has got himself a new alias! :lol3:

thesparky
03-05-2010, 06:58 AM
thanks for the idea m8, i do have an xbox that is modded which i use or should i say can use to play games before i buy them :D,

i have no quarms in buying a good game but just hate paying out ?40 odd to find a game you would only play once and then hope to sell to some unexpecting person,

i think with the likes of Asda the consoles are packed away and you get which ever console they give you so i wouldnt have a choice of serial numbers,

im pretty sure its down to the dashboard which you can jtag so again wouldnt be able to tell?

either way i just want this console as a legit online one

thanks for all the help, shop opens @ 9am