PDA

View Full Version : sky dish

DessertDog
17-03-2010, 03:20 PM
dunno if anyone can help on this.
At present i use a sky dish and sky lnb to receive freesat,Im having sky installed they use a dual lnb im told so can i use one of the spare sockets on the new lnb for free-sat save having two dishes up?

Sicilian
17-03-2010, 03:23 PM
Why will u want to use Freesat if you have Sky+HD installed?

In answer to your question they will prob replace your dish with a quad output LNB, so your existing feed could go into that LNB for the Freesat receiver.

DessertDog
17-03-2010, 03:39 PM
Why will u want to use Freesat if you have Sky+HD installed?

In answer to your question they will prob replace your dish with a quad output LNB, so your existing feed could go into that LNB for the Freesat receiver.

Because i will watch sky by my pc and the misses will watch freesat as shes not wanting Hd or sky
The old sky dish is one i put up sky didnt as long as i can swap over the freesat cable to the new sky dish thats all i want to do m8 cheers

thelostone
17-03-2010, 08:00 PM
From what i can find out the short answer is yes, i did find this i hope it helps

http://www.avforums.com/forums/freesat/944058-can-same-dish-recieve-freesat-sky-same-time.html
(http://www.avforums.com/forums/freesat/944058-can-same-dish-recieve-freesat-sky-same-time.html)

Diablo13
17-03-2010, 08:43 PM
When I got my Sky installed I asked the engineer to use a 4 point lnb, so that I could plug my Freesat telly in separately. He said that was no problem and that's how mine is set up.
The Sky box uses 2 outputs for recording and my freesat HD telly uses 1, so I have a spare output if I needed it later for another sat receiver.
I can record 2 programs on the Sky box and watch a third Freesat channel on the telly directly.
If the engineer is awkward, though I see no reason why he should be, tell him why you need the extra inputs, or you might want to upgrade to a second Sky box in another room later.
They carry the 4 output lnb's as standard, for just that reason, so there should be no problem.

DessertDog
17-03-2010, 09:11 PM
They fitted one as standard on my sisters new installation im told

Sicilian
18-03-2010, 06:20 AM
I'm pretty sure it is standard now, when mine was installed they used a quad output LNB too. Just wish I'd run an extra feed into the lounge now lol.

DessertDog
21-03-2010, 03:19 PM
Update yes they fitted a quad Lnb also connected my Freesat to it for me lol

cactikid
21-03-2010, 03:36 PM
i would have said to get a new dish up fitted with a quad lnb,strangely enough a sat seller says because the sky dish is so cheap to make it deteriorates after a number of years as metal is so light, hope they sealed the cable and it is tight,and cover back in place.

Diablo13
22-03-2010, 12:50 AM
i would have said to get a new dish up fitted with a quad lnb,strangely enough a sat seller says because the sky dish is so cheap to make it deteriorates after a number of years as metal is so light, hope they sealed the cable and it is tight,and cover back in place.

I would have thought the actual dishes were made of painted aluminium?
Not sure about this, but it makes sense so that they are light, cheap and durable for all weathers. As engineers that make their living doing install's I'm sure the connections would be weatherproof.
Your first port of call for problems is the installer personally, for the first month, so if he had to come back to fix a faulty install it would be costing HIM money!

cactikid
27-03-2010, 10:11 AM
yes supposed to be weather proof,oops left tape in van lol also seen cover not pulled down also,as i had a problem with signal i had to check cables not what i call tight,usually happens when the warranty 1 year is up then you pay.