PDA

View Full Version : Have you ever had a near death experience?

Hitman
21-07-2006, 09:31 AM
I was once driving on the A12 at 90 mph when a car hit me as he was overtaking.

He hit the right hand side of my car and send it into a spin.
the car spun round and the front wheel hit the kerb and sent the car into a roll.

As the car was rolling my drivers door came off and i was flung out of the car.
I landed on the grass verge that runs down the side of the road, i was sliding along a small strip of grass in exactly the right direction to stay on it.

As i was sliding i was watching my car rolling beside me with my 2 friends in the car.

When the car stopped it was upside down and one of my friends was laying on the road unconsious.

I got up and felt like i was ok, i checked my mates pulse and it was ok.
The guy in the back was fine apart from a small scrach on his back.

I injured my shoulder and had to have an operation on it (kept dislocating)

After the crash i went into a fit of laughter (shock) and felt that i was invincible.

I can remember seeing every detail in slow motion.

Phew!!

Shipoftheline
21-07-2006, 09:59 AM
I've hit a brick or something on the motorway while doing 80 and lost control going across 3 lanes but managed to get control back

Wee Gordon
21-07-2006, 12:03 PM
nearly got knocked down :( my pal pushed me on the road

ikon
14-08-2006, 01:39 AM
Was on Ticketmaster trying to get Robbie Williams tickets for my wife a few months back. I got lucky on internet but hit wrong button,lost my place and the tickets.

Looking at my wifes face I realised that I had a near death experience. BBrrrrr... :gun:

Good news is that I managed to get some on Friday.
:)

scruff1963
14-08-2006, 01:41 PM
I have been hit twice by cars on my bicycle

The second time I was thrown over the bonnet and was going through the air looking at the sky, when I hit the floor (between 10-15 feet away) I realised that I had to allow my head to hit the floor or I was risking breaking my neck.

I jumped up and felt the back of my head expecting to find a hole there, the man in the car (pulled out of a side road because he didn't look) couldn't believe I had stood up as he heard my head hit the floor from his car.
I got away with concussion and a large bump that made sleeping on my back uncomfortable.

If I hadn't been wearing a backpack that took most of the impact when I landed I believe I wouldn't be here today.

Time did appear to slow down and this gave me the time to relax instead of tensing up, the being able to relax and the backpack means I am still alive and can still walk.

I was surprised that I was not afraid because I always believed I would panic in this kind of situation.

I no longer ride a bicycle to many idiots ignore them.

nawabasif
14-08-2006, 10:11 PM
yeah i drowned once! and stayed conscious with the whole bloody scuba kit on me! how woz i meant to no the guy pushin me back to the surface werent the instructor! lolz

jancarius
15-08-2006, 12:10 AM
i got malaria once really baaad! doc says i got less than 2 days to live, so parents fort lets try a herbal medicine dude out in pakistan. Believe it or not 2 days lata i was out and about chillin again!
Free Da Herb!!! lol

Diablo13
15-08-2006, 07:55 PM
Some lucky escapes, especially by Hitman and Scruff. I wonder if wee gordons friend is still his friend, as you can do without "friends" like that. Maybe he thought he would inherit your computer Gordon? LOL.
As to my own experience it was very bad and I was the lucky one. I was in the army at the time and just 18 so a long time ago. I was driving four friends on a night out in S****horpe fairly near where we were based. I had an old Vauxhall Viva and it was my first banger. On a very wet night we were driving down a hill when a Ford Capri shot out of a side road on my right and turned on my side of the road up the hill towards me. I had to swerve violently to avoid a head on collision but I lost control on the wet road and spun off. It was like being on a fairground ride as the adrenalin kicks in and everything seems to take ages to happen. Anyway the car hit the only telegraph pole in 200 metres, sideways on.
The car was crushed by the impact and I was thrown out onto the grass verge. Seatbelts were not compulsory then, and that saved my life. I must have been unconcious for a time as when I looked up the emergency services were there and I could'nt move. In hospital much later I learned that of the 5 of us in the car; I had a broken back, 1 had cuts and slight head injuries, 1 just had minor cuts, 1 was not injured and no one would tell me anthing about the other 17 year old in the car. He died. I think I cried for days.
The driver who caused it did not stop and though he was later traced or came forward, there were no witnesses so nothing happened to him. I was cleared at inquest but god I had to be in the same room as "Gingers" parents and brothers and sisters and could not look at them. It had taken 4 months to get to the inquest and even after being cleared of responsibility, the nightmare would not go away.
I still suffer with back problems and as I get older it gets worse, but I was 1 of the lucky ones. I have not spoken of this in many years and although you never forget such an experience this thread brought it all back to me in glorious technicolour, so I thought I would share this with you and I have no idea why. Lets just say you never know when you leave the house and your loved ones if you will ever see them again, or when your number is up. :-? v:)

Hitman
16-08-2006, 12:03 AM
All these knocks take their toll on you as you get older...both mentally and phyisically.

When i was young i didnt give a sh*te about anything.....i cant believe some of the things i used to get up to....all changed now, got my kids to think about.

officially an old git now lol

maharaja
16-08-2006, 06:07 PM
you guys have had nearly death experiences! must be scary!

Diablo13
16-08-2006, 06:52 PM
you guys have had nearly death experiences! must be scary!

Maharaja, the really strange thing about a near death experience is that it's not. Afterwards when the adrenalin rush is over and you get chance to calm down, then it is. When you think about it afterwards, thats when the shakes and sweating start. I have been shot at on a couple of occasions when I was in the army and your reactions speed up and hopefully your training takes over and you just do whatever seems right at the time.
Adrenaline is a wonderful self produced legal drug which your body magically produces to help you cope with extreme situations. That is why you get so called "adrenaline junkies" who jump off buildings or go parachuting with only a pair of fish net tights as a canopy. There are'nt many of them around though,lol.
I am not a doctor but would be interested to know if other people agree with me and if it was the same for them in their own close shaves? v:)

sparky1
16-08-2006, 07:19 PM
yeh

I was on holiday in phuket 2 days before the big wave hit patong beech , went back to bangkok early for some reason ,the budhas were looking after me that day.

e-z reader
19-08-2006, 10:35 AM
When I was younger I use to have an old record player. I tried fixing it once and electrocuted myself. It was only that the flex was wrapped round the leg of the player and some how pulled it out my hand while I was flapping around like a fish out of water that I'm here now. Even when I'm changing a light bulb these days I take the fuse out the main fuse box.

berley
19-08-2006, 10:54 AM
Maharaja, the really strange thing about a near death experience is that it's not. Afterwards when the adrenalin rush is over and you get chance to calm down, then it is. When you think about it afterwards, thats when the shakes and sweating start. I have been shot at on a couple of occasions when I was in the army and your reactions speed up and hopefully your training takes over and you just do whatever seems right at the time.
Adrenaline is a wonderful self produced legal drug which your body magically produces to help you cope with extreme situations. That is why you get so called "adrenaline junkies" who jump off buildings or go parachuting with only a pair of fish net tights as a canopy. There are'nt many of them around though,lol.
I am not a doctor but would be interested to know if other people agree with me and if it was the same for them in their own close shaves? v:)

ive never had a near death experience but i agree with you about the adrenalin rush as it happened to me when i was in a very minor car crash, i was fine after it but about 3 hours later delayed shock must have set in as i started shaking and shivering

jango36
02-10-2006, 12:39 PM
I was station in Northen Ireland in the 70s , when the IRA was real bad, I was on patrol, when my section was bomb, I was blown across the road, I actually saw my life pass by like films frames.
1st Queen's Regt