PDA

View Full Version : Best cheapo blue ray-dvd player ?

BraveHeart
14-02-2010, 01:31 AM
Whats the best cheapo's of the bunch to buy, i dont need nothing fancy, just something that will play a blue ray disk to its full quality on a full HD tv and upscale normal dvd's to as close to HD as possible (i think i understand that dvd's dont have a player that plays them in full HD ?).

Would appreciate some suggestions.

cheers.

tinkertiler
14-02-2010, 04:33 AM
If you are looking at a dvd player MAKE SURE that it has a ethernet port on it to update it, Some of the original Ble ray players that were released didnt have them and it is a pain to update them to play the latest Blue Ray movies that are released. Apart from that im pretty sure that the quality if you get a good make such as Sony or Samsung is pretty much the same

BraveHeart
14-02-2010, 05:37 AM
If you are looking at a dvd player MAKE SURE that it has a ethernet port on it to update it, Some of the original Ble ray players that were released didnt have them and it is a pain to update them to play the latest Blue Ray movies that are released. Apart from that im pretty sure that the quality if you get a good make such as Sony or Samsung is pretty much the same

a blueray/dvd player with an ethernet port ? oh., i shall need to go looking, the ones i have been looking at so far dont mention an ethernet port, i was hoping to get a good bottom of the barrel one, just like the old dvd players i have here, i never bought a decent dvd player in my life, all cheapos and i mean cheapos, lol, and they always worked fine, they might look a bit crap to physically look at, but done the job no probs, i just imagined it would be the same with blue ray.

only reason i'm even bothering with a blueray rather than a normal dvd player is that as far as i hear the blueray ones upscale normal dvd's and nearly all normal dvd players dont, if it wasnt for that i would buy a dvd player, but i want the upscaling etc etc :drink4:

BraveHeart
14-02-2010, 05:41 AM
a blueray/dvd player with an ethernet port ? oh., i shall need to go looking, the ones i have been looking at so far dont mention an ethernet port, i was hoping to get a good bottom of the barrel one, just like the old dvd players i have here, i never bought a decent dvd player in my life, all cheapos and i mean cheapos, lol, and they always worked fine, they might look a bit crap to physically look at, but done the job no probs, i just imagined it would be the same with blue ray.
only reason i'm even bothering with a blueray rather than a normal dvd player is that as far as i hear the blueray ones upscale normal dvd's and nearly all normal dvd players dont, if it wasnt for that i would buy a dvd player, but i want the upscaling etc etc :drink4:

edit :

oh ! does bd live mean its got an ethernet port ?

BraveHeart
14-02-2010, 06:11 AM
To view links or images in this forum your post count must be 1 or greater. You currently have 0 posts. yers

what about that one there ?? its a dvd player and i see it upscales.

i'm not even interested in blueray, only was because they upscale dvd's, but now i seen this i wonder if its just what i need ?

I never use blueray disks, i never have, and unless the price of blank ones comes down to the price of blank dvd's then i will never touch blue ray disks, so i would only be using a blue ray unit to play dvd's basically (and upscale them).

do you think i would be better with summit like that toshiba there ?

edit:
why does it have scart socket though if it connects through hdmi ?

errrm, lol, maybe i best just get a blue ray, at least they are a bit more future proof, eh ?

tinkertiler
14-02-2010, 01:11 PM
Asda have a toshiba dvd player that upscales and is about ?50 and that upscales to 1080p. Plays xvid ect from disc and usb and is very good as ive got one in my bedroom and it works a treat. If you look around the price of Blue Ray players has gone down a great deal and if you shop around you can get some Sony and Samsung ones for around ?80 mark. Im not sure about the live feature you was on about though lol

thelostone
14-02-2010, 02:03 PM
Have a look on the richer sounds web site imo thats one of the best/cheapest place

little_pob
14-02-2010, 02:32 PM
To view links or images in this forum your post count must be 1 or greater. You currently have 0 posts. yers
what about that one there ?? its a dvd player and i see it upscales.
i'm not even interested in blueray, only was because they upscale dvd's, but now i seen this i wonder if its just what i need ?
I never use blueray disks, i never have, and unless the price of blank ones comes down to the price of blank dvd's then i will never touch blue ray disks, so i would only be using a blue ray unit to play dvd's basically (and upscale them).
do you think i would be better with summit like that toshiba there ?
edit:
why does it have scart socket though if it connects through hdmi ?
errrm, lol, maybe i best just get a blue ray, at least they are a bit more future proof, eh ?

It will have a SCART socket for those that have still got CRT TVs, as HDMI only appeared on a handful of vacuum tube sets (mainly in North America).

Personally if spending the little extra on getting a branded, upscaling player with DivX and USB I'd get one that could also do multiregion (which the tosh apparently cannot). For example: Philips DVP3380 | DVD Player With HDMI | Richer Sounds (To view links or images in this forum your post count must be 1 or greater. You currently have 0 posts. I know several people with the earlier DVP5980 and it's little brother the 5960 and all are impressed.

BD-Live requires the Blu-ray Disc player to have an Internet connection to access Internet-based content. BD-Live features have included Internet chats, scheduled chats with the director, Internet games, downloadable featurettes, downloadable quizzes, and downloadable movie trailers. Note that while some Bonus View players may have an Ethernet port, these are used for firmware updates and are not used for Internet-based content. In addition, Profile 2.0 also requires more local storage in order to handle this content.

Essentially it's somewhere between the interactive features that appeared on DVDs like The Matrix (Follow the white rabbit) and Monty Python and the Holy Grail ("Follow The Killer Rabbit") and those that you had to put into your PC to view.

Sicilian
14-02-2010, 09:07 PM
Have you considered a media player such as this one? To view links or images in this forum your post count must be 1 or greater. You currently have 0 posts. Download blu ray mkv rips and play them through the media player.

BraveHeart
14-02-2010, 09:48 PM
It will have a SCART socket for those that have still got CRT TVs, as HDMI only appeared on a handful of vacuum tube sets (mainly in North America).

Personally if spending the little extra on getting a branded, upscaling player with DivX and USB I'd get one that could also do multiregion (which the tosh apparently cannot). For example: Philips DVP3380 | DVD Player With HDMI | Richer Sounds (To view links or images in this forum your post count must be 1 or greater. You currently have 0 posts. I know several people with the earlier DVP5980 and it's little brother the 5960 and all are impressed.

Essentially it's somewhere between the interactive features that appeared on DVDs like The Matrix (Follow the white rabbit) and Monty Python and the Holy Grail ("Follow The Killer Rabbit") and those that you had to put into your PC to view.

the philips upscaling dvd player looks a very nice little piece of cheap kit, just what i was looking for (i think).

so that dvd player would be as good as the dvd upscaling dvd function of a blue ray player then, eh ?? it would only be dvd's i'm interested in anyway.

sh*ttt, just realised it dont play american disks, aTo view links or images in this forum your post count must be 1 or greater. You currently have 0 posts. i need it to play them :( (ntsc disks)

BraveHeart
14-02-2010, 09:54 PM
Asda have a toshiba dvd player that upscales and is about ?50 and that upscales to 1080p. Plays xvid ect from disc and usb and is very good as ive got one in my bedroom and it works a treat. If you look around the price of Blue Ray players has gone down a great deal and if you shop around you can get some Sony and Samsung ones for around ?80 mark. Im not sure about the live feature you was on about though lol

can you give me the make and model of the asda one please mate ?

BraveHeart
14-02-2010, 09:57 PM
this one here is it mate >>>

ASDA Home Shopping, Groceries Online, online grocery range, food onlinePhilips 1080P DivX Ultra DVP3360 HDMI Upscaling DVD Player

BraveHeart
14-02-2010, 10:02 PM
look at this one, multi regional too >>

Asda HDMI DVD Player | DVD Player | ASDA direct (http://direct.asda.com/Asda-HDMI-DVD-Player-/000585954,default,pd.html)

BraveHeart
14-02-2010, 10:19 PM
hmmm, spoiled for choice now, lol, heres 4 more cheapos >>

Technika HDMISS09 HDMI upscaler DVD Player - Tesco.Direct (http://direct.tesco.com/q/R.206-0365.aspx)

Technika HDMI DVD Player - Tesco.Direct (http://direct.tesco.com/q/R.206-5389.aspx)

Toshiba SD390 DVD Upscaler - Tesco.Direct (http://direct.tesco.com/q/R.206-5498.aspx)

LG DVX492 DVD Upscaling DVD Player - Tesco.Direct (http://direct.tesco.com/q/R.206-6253.aspx)

thelostone
14-02-2010, 10:37 PM
If i were you i would get either the tosh or the lg the other two are tescos own make.I dont want to throw a spanner in the works:D but as far as blue-ray is concerned i am waiting till pannys blue-ray recorders come down in price

BraveHeart
14-02-2010, 10:40 PM
If i were you i would get either the tosh or the lg the other two are tescos own make.I dont want to throw a spanner in the works:D but as far as blue-ray is concerned i am waiting till pannys blue-ray recorders come down in price

yea the tosh looks good, its on play.com even cheaper and with free delivery, lol >>>

Play.com (UK) : Toshiba SD-390 Upscaling DVD Player : Electronics - Free Delivery (http://www.play.com/Electronics/Electronics/-/262/342/-/9545413/Toshiba-SD-390-Upscaling-DVD-Player/Product.html?searchtype=genre)

fergalsworld
14-02-2010, 10:40 PM
Just make sure the one you get upscales to 1080P, plays divx and has a usb port that will play movies
then you can download a movie wack it onto a usb stick and play it from there:)
the tosh dont have usb and dont play divx so its a waste of space

BraveHeart
14-02-2010, 10:43 PM
Just make sure the one you get upscales to 1080P, plays divx and has a usb port that will play movies
then you can download a movie wack it onto a usb stick and play it from there:)

ah good shout mate :)

so it must say 1080p only and not 720p,1080i and 1080p, ot should just say 1080p and thats all ?

please correct me on this if iam wrong.

fergalsworld
14-02-2010, 10:45 PM
it can say 720p,1080i and 1080p
the tosh dont have usb and dont play divx so its a waste of space

BraveHeart
14-02-2010, 10:46 PM
what ya think of this >>>

Play.com (UK) : Sumvision Phoenix Premium Upscaling HDMI DVD Player : Electronics - Free Delivery (http://www.play.com/Electronics/Electronics/4-/9078411/Sumvision-Phoenix-Premium-Upscaling-HDMI-DVD-Player/Product.html?ptsl=1&ob=Price&fb=0)

thelostone
14-02-2010, 10:50 PM
imo the best thing to do is find some you are rearly interested in then google them and if you have any more questions give us a shout, simples

tinkertiler
14-02-2010, 11:09 PM
oops my cock up its a philips and it plays everything and upscales to 1080p Philips DVP3360 HDMI Upscaling DVD Player with DIVX & USB | DVD Player | ASDA direct (http://direct.asda.com/Philips-DVP3360-HDMI-Upscaling-DVD-Player-with-DIVX-+-USB/000587648,default,pd.html) well worth the money as i play xvids ect off usb stick no problem and picture quality is very good for ?50

BraveHeart
14-02-2010, 11:27 PM
oops my cock up its a philips and it plays everything and upscales to 1080p Philips DVP3360 HDMI Upscaling DVD Player with DIVX & USB | DVD Player | ASDA direct (http://direct.asda.com/Philips-DVP3360-HDMI-Upscaling-DVD-Player-with-DIVX-+-USB/000587648,default,pd.html) well worth the money as i play xvids ect off usb stick no problem and picture quality is very good for ?50

yes mate, i think for the little extra cash this is the one i will go for :)

it does everything, and ive read a lot of reviews on it and about 90% of the reviews gave it the big thumbs up :thumbup:

I guess i will get that one, thanks mate :)

(so long as theres no lip sync audio issues, lol, i seen someone moan about that, might have been a one off).

need to buy myself a cheapo hdmi cable now, dont think it comes with one, or does it ? (it doesnt come with one, just checked)

tinkertiler
14-02-2010, 11:41 PM
Ive never had any issues at all with it great little player for the money and i know a couple of other people that have them and they have had no issues. I think you will find at Asda they have cheap HDMI cables as the last time i was in Asda Living they had one for about ?4 if i remember right! LOL

fergalsworld
14-02-2010, 11:43 PM
need to buy myself a cheapo hdmi cable now, dont think it comes with one, or does it ? (it doesnt come with one, just checked)
Dont get conned buying a fancy dear one buy a cheap as chips one as there is no different in picture quality whatsoever
go to poundland see if you can get one from there for a nicker.

BraveHeart
14-02-2010, 11:54 PM
i want one like this then do i ??

GOLD PLATED HDMI to CABLE LEAD FOR PS3 HDTV HD DVD XBOX on eBay (end time 16-Mar-10 02:12:23 GMT) (http://cgi.ebay.co.uk/GOLD-PLATED-HDMI-to-CABLE-LEAD-FOR-PS3-HDTV-HD-DVD-XBOX_W0QQitemZ180469257492QQcmdZViewItemQQptZUK_Co mputing_CablesConnectors_RL?hash=item2a04ce5514)

tinkertiler
15-02-2010, 12:00 AM
Well you could go down the route of buying a expensive one and unless you have a system that is worth 1000s then i cant see the point tbh. Ive got a scart lead that cost me over ?100 and yes it does make a difference but that was when i had a few quid to spend at one shop so i got it otherwise i wouldnt have bothered lol Ive got a cable from my pc to my tv a HDMI one that is 15m long and it was only ?12 off ebay and it looks brilliant does the job that i want it to do and when i play a Blue Ray off the pc to the tv the picture is crystal clear so im experience them cables that are cheap may well not look the best as long as they do the job lol

thelostone
15-02-2010, 12:02 AM
that one will do fine bud like fergal says you dont need to buy an expensive one.They are not like scart sockets with scarts you do get what you pay for i see they have FERRITE CORES on them, i did buy a cheap hdmi cable a while back and after a while the metal ends broke away from the plastic case so be carefu,but l there is a lifetime warranty on them

thelostone
15-02-2010, 12:05 AM
Well you could go down the route of buying a expensive one and unless you have a system that is worth 1000s then i cant see the point tbh. Ive got a scart lead that cost me over ?100
and i thought at ?25 mine cost a lot:roflmao:

fergalsworld
15-02-2010, 12:10 AM
With digital connections it doesnt make sense to use expensive cable as it doesnt make any difference to pic/sound quality, its all 1's and 0's. Unless its over longer runs then you will need to invest more in a well built cable even then you dont need to spend ludracris amount's of money
Its funny the number of people who fall prey to buying uneccessary expensive hdmi cables
logic

tinkertiler
15-02-2010, 12:29 AM
and i thought at ?25 mine cost a lot:roflmao:

I only did it just to spend a load of vouchers i had for the shop lol i wouldnt have paid cash for that i can tell you lol

little_pob
16-02-2010, 07:10 PM
so that dvd player would be as good as the dvd upscaling dvd function of a blue ray player then, eh ?? it would only be dvd's i'm interested in anyway.
I cannot tell the difference between my DVP5980 and Samsung BD-P1500 when upscalling DVDs.

...just realised it dont play american disks...
Yes it does: Philips DVP3380 region code - DVD Players and Blu-ray Players region codes - VideoHelp.com (To view links or images in this forum your post count must be 1 or greater. You currently have 0 posts. The difference between the 3380 and 3360 are the optical and coax connections on the 3380. So unless you need these save yourself the ?10 and get the 3360 (To view links or images in this forum your post count must be 1 or greater. You currently have 0 posts. and it uses the same hack.)

BraveHeart
05-03-2010, 02:41 AM
ok, thats the 3360 ordered now, we shall see how it goes :)

(cost 55quid off amazon though, however, still good deal)

BraveHeart
13-03-2010, 08:38 AM

Ok, have it installed now, seems a very good cheap little bit of kit :)

what settings do you have yours set on mate, just leave it all on standard settings apart from obviously the picture aspect, what tv you got yours connected to just out of curiosity ?

just wondering if it should be set on i or p as it says in the instructions that if both dvd player and tv have a p output its best to turn off p, but that option isnt there when hdmi cable is used, just wondering what settings you used mate, no big deal, looks good either way.

tinkertiler
13-03-2010, 09:41 AM
Ive got mine ste up with a 22inch LCD HD read TV in the bedroom and i have it set to 720p and the picture quality is great. If your TV supports 1080p that would be the best option if not use 720p. Well thats what works best on mine anyway lol

BraveHeart
13-03-2010, 09:40 PM
Ive got mine ste up with a 22inch LCD HD read TV in the bedroom and i have it set to 720p and the picture quality is great. If your TV supports 1080p that would be the best option if not use 720p. Well thats what works best on mine anyway lol
yea mate, ive got it on 1080p as the telly is 1080p.

i really like the fact too that it can play movies from the usb stick :)

tinkertiler
13-03-2010, 10:28 PM
For the money its a good little dvd player and worth every penny

BraveHeart
15-03-2010, 01:55 AM
Your right about that mate :thumbup2:

I managed to get my hands on some decent movies to try on it rather than the usual crappy quality ones off the torrent sites etc, lol, and I can say the quality of the picture was/is second to none, nice, very nice :), and thats on the 50inch plasma on 16:9 and tv and dvd player set to 1080p and all the other settings on the dvd player set as standard :)

Bargain :)

(and ive still not even had the joy to try out the movies on the usb port yet, lol)

By the way, do you just download a movie thats in divx format, copy it onto a clean usb stick and thats it, yea ? only divx format works ?

little_pob
15-03-2010, 07:22 PM
It plays .AVI files, so will do DivX and XviD.

No .mkv or DivX HD playback though.

BraveHeart
15-03-2010, 09:09 PM
ah i see, so i want AVI ,DivX and XviD, ok cool mate, thanks :)

BraveHeart
18-03-2010, 01:50 AM
Ok, i tried to get it playing divx and avi, but no joy :(

i first tried with a usb stick and then i tried with a micro sdhc card in a usb adaptor, still no joy, and it was two different movies, not that same one.

its saying "loading" and then it says "no disk".

Anyone any ideas please ?
thanks.

tinkertiler
18-03-2010, 01:58 AM
You have selected the usb off the remote control havent you??? It wont pick it up unless you tell it its there !! just under the play button on the remote to the left.

EDIT - the loading and no disc normally means you havent pressed the usb select ive just tried it on mine

BraveHeart
18-03-2010, 02:08 AM
You have selected the usb off the remote control havent you??? It wont pick it up unless you tell it its there !! just under the play button on the remote to the left.

EDIT - the loading and no disc normally means you havent pressed the usb select ive just tried it on mine

ah sorted mate :) thanks :)

i dunno what was happening but then it suddenly worked when i was pressing the usb buton like you told me to, then it kicked into life, sorted mate, thanks for that :):thumbup2:

thelostone
18-03-2010, 02:10 AM
on the remote on my panny dvd recorder it has a button that says" drive" and this lets me change between dvd,hdd or sd card.I would of thought you should have something like that on yours
Just read your last post glad to see you are sorted

tinkertiler
18-03-2010, 10:47 PM
ah sorted mate :) thanks :)
i dunno what was happening but then it suddenly worked when i was pressing the usb buton like you told me to, then it kicked into life, sorted mate, thanks for that :):thumbup2:

I dont think it automaticly picks up the usb as if you have a disc in the drive and the usb connected then it picks the disc and as you said if you havent got a disc in the tray it says no disc so think it defaults to the drive all the time and doesnt pick up the usb on its own.

BraveHeart
06-01-2011, 10:58 PM
ok guys, the philips player i bought for 55quid has developed a fault and amazon are refunding the money :(

so now i want to step it up a gear and get a good cheapo blue ray player that plays everything including the blue ray movie pirate copies from the net, i believe they are called mkv files or summit like that ??

i dont want to spend much more money but i know i need to spend more.

have any you guys took the plunge and bought anything that does the lot ??

cheers.

Reddevil
06-01-2011, 11:30 PM
I bought one of these

Toshiba BDX1100 Blu-Ray Player with BD Live: Amazon.co.uk: Electronics (http://www.amazon.co.uk/Toshiba-BDX1100-Blu-Ray-Player-Live/dp/tech-data/B0047ZF9NC/ref=de_a_smtd)

BraveHeart
07-01-2011, 12:00 AM
I bought one of these

Toshiba BDX1100 Blu-Ray Player with BD Live: Amazon.co.uk: Electronics (To view links or images in this forum your post count must be 1 or greater. You currently have 0 posts. good shout mate, but i was hoping for one that had usb port also for playing xvid/avi etc and also for it to be able to play the mkv on disk and on the usb stick format i think its called, you know hacked blue ray movies that ya can download, i'm sure i seen some players that can play them but cant see them now :(

Reddevil
07-01-2011, 01:02 AM
I didnt need them features at my tv plays media from the pc

BraveHeart
07-01-2011, 01:26 AM
I didnt need them features at my tv plays media from the pc

so would mines but i dont have the box connected to the pc, ive done all this before in the olden days, just connected the cable and played all the movies etc from the pc to tv, thats easy, but i want the blue ray box to have these features that i'm after, you know what i mean ?

means my pc is mines and the tv is hers, LOL.

little_pob
07-01-2011, 10:17 AM
Since you originally asked the prices have come down a fair bit (mainly due to the launch of 3D BD players). This is just under ?100: Samsung BD-C5500 Blu-Ray Player WiFi Ready: Amazon.co.uk: Electronics (To view links or images in this forum your post count must be 1 or greater. You currently have 0 posts. It sports a USB port that supports FAT32 and NTFS formated drives for .mkv and playback. Doesn't look like it does .ISO or video_TS playback though...

BraveHeart
07-01-2011, 07:49 PM
ooops, missed your post there little pob, nice to see that there are still at least a couple of people posting in here :)

ye that looks quite good that one, but i wonder if it plays xvid/avi from usb stick and plays normal dvds etc too, also wonder what the audio outputs are at the back, i shall go look on samsung website, best idea, thanks mate.

BraveHeart
07-01-2011, 08:04 PM
ooops, missed your post there little pob, nice to see that there are still at least a couple of people posting in here :)
ye that looks quite good that one, but i wonder if it plays xvid/avi from usb stick and plays normal dvds etc too, also wonder what the audio outputs are at the back, i shall go look on samsung website, best idea, thanks mate.
hmmm, dont think it plays the xvid and avi from usb stick and it doesnt even mention it plays mp3 disks either, thats a bummer :(, cant even see the tech specs to see what audio outputs it has either, but anyway its no good as it cant do what i want, pity, looks nice too :(

little_pob
07-01-2011, 09:27 PM
Since you originally asked the prices have come down a fair bit (mainly due to the launch of 3D BD players). This is just under ?100: Samsung BD-C5500 Blu-Ray Player WiFi Ready: Amazon.co.uk: Electronics (To view links or images in this forum your post count must be 1 or greater. You currently have 0 posts. It sports a USB port that supports FAT32 and NTFS formated drives for .mkv and playback. Doesn't look like it does .ISO or video_TS playback though...

hmmm, dont think it plays the xvid and avi from usb stick and it doesnt even mention it plays mp3 disks either, thats a bummer :(, cant even see the tech specs to see what audio outputs it has either, but anyway its no good as it cant do what i want, pity, looks nice too :(
Had a quick look at the online manual... :specky:

Audio outputs are optical and stereo RCA
It does do MP3 discs (CD and DVD)
It supports the .avi, .mkv, .wmv, .mp4, .mpeg and .mpg video containers and will play these from the USB port as well as disc

BraveHeart
08-01-2011, 01:19 AM
Had a quick look at the online manual... :specky:

Audio outputs are optical and stereo RCA
It does do MP3 discs (CD and DVD)
It supports the .avi, .mkv, .wmv, .mp4, .mpeg and .mpg video containers and will play these from the USB port as well as disc

:banana4:
so it does do everything i want then, yea, thats the big question, lol ??

little_pob
08-01-2011, 02:40 PM
:banana4:
so it does do everything i want then, yea, thats the big question, lol ??
Assuming you wanted optical surround or RCA stereo and from what you've asked with regards to MP3 disc and USB playback, then yes...

Have fun :popcorn:

BraveHeart
08-01-2011, 08:03 PM
Assuming you wanted optical surround or RCA stereo and from what you've asked with regards to MP3 disc and USB playback, then yes...
Have fun :popcorn:
hmmm, glad you mentioned the sound, i really need it to output digital audio coax as the other input on the amp is taken up by the optical input, i know i could use an optical cable splitter, but if its like splitting anything else it will drag the quality and sound level down, but i'm not sure about that ???

my amp is this one >> http://www.logitech.com/en-gb/speakers-audio/home-pc-speakers/devices/224

little_pob
08-01-2011, 09:16 PM
Hmm, as far as I know you'd have to use an optical switch rather than a reversed splitter.

What is currently using the optical port on your setup? If it is the TV then it'll pass though the audio feed from the HDMI lead. I've currently got my HT system setup this way as the BD player and Popcorn Hour only have optical out...

BraveHeart
08-01-2011, 10:14 PM
Hmm, as far as I know you'd have to use an optical switch rather than a reversed splitter.

What is currently using the optical port on your setup? If it is the TV then it'll pass though the audio feed from the HDMI lead. I've currently got my HT system setup this way as the BD player and Popcorn Hour only have optical out...

the optical goes from the tv to the sound system so that she can watch freesat if need be (freesat is built into the tv), and the coax digital went from the dvd player to the sound system.

its a panasonic G10 tv.

little_pob
09-01-2011, 03:53 PM
the optical goes from the tv to the sound system so that she can watch freesat if need be (freesat is built into the tv), and the coax digital went from the dvd player to the sound system.
its a panasonic G10 tv.
Double checked. The TV will passthough sound from the HDMI feed, but it is only able to send 2.0 not 5.1... (apparently, this is the case for most TVs)

So this may be a suitable solution: Optical TOS to Digital Audio Coax SPDIF Phono RCA Converter Adapter - AV12737 - Audio Cables, Optical Adapters, AV12737 from kenable (http://www.kenable.co.uk/product_info.php?cPath=48_243&products_id=3110)

BraveHeart
10-01-2011, 05:43 AM
Double checked. The TV will passthough sound from the HDMI feed, but it is only able to send 2.0 not 5.1... (apparently, this is the case for most TVs)
So this may be a suitable solution: Optical TOS to Digital Audio Coax SPDIF Phono RCA Converter Adapter - AV12737 - Audio Cables, Optical Adapters, AV12737 from kenable (To view links or images in this forum your post count must be 1 or greater. You currently have 0 posts. little pob mate, you deserve a medal for the help you give out, if you lived near me i would take you for a pint or 10 free of charge just for sticking by me and giving me help when ive needed it, thanks mate, its appreciated :)

Thing is now its been put to me that my best bet for what i am wanting to do would be to get one of these >>>

Sumvision Cyclone MKV NAS Ready 500GB Media Player, Full 1080p with DTS and many Digitalpromo.co.uk (To view links or images in this forum your post count must be 1 or greater. You currently have 0 posts. But as you can see, it still is optical audio output so it would need to share that single digital optical audio input thats on my amp, just a pity it didnt output digital coax :(, but anyway, now that the story has changed slightly, what digital optical splitter would i use to connect one of those to my amp and the box ?

again, your a star mate, appreciate all your info every time :)

p.s
isnt there a gizmo that converts digital optical to digital coax and vice versa, or is that out the question ?

little_pob
10-01-2011, 03:07 PM
little pob mate, you deserve a medal for the help you give out, if you lived near me i would take you for a pint or 10 free of charge just for sticking by me and giving me help when ive needed it, thanks mate, its appreciated :)
Thing is now its been put to me that my best bet for what i am wanting to do would be to get one of these >>>
Sumvision Cyclone MKV NAS Ready 500GB Media Player, Full 1080p with DTS and many Digitalpromo.co.uk (To view links or images in this forum your post count must be 1 or greater. You currently have 0 posts. Provided you no longer need optical playback (i.e. CD, DVD, BD) I think you'll find a media player best suits your needs.

Also look at the AC Ryan PlayOn!, Western Digital TV and XTreamer ranges, to name just 3...

But as you can see, it still is optical audio output so it would need to share that single digital optical audio input thats on my amp, just a pity it didnt output digital coax :(, but anyway, now that the story has changed slightly,
I think to get digital coax out on home theatre kit these days you are looking at a HTPC setup - everything else seems to be optical. However, HTPCs whilst easily upgraded, have a bigger initial outlay.

what digital optical splitter would i use to connect one of those to my amp and the box ?
If you don't mind getting up to switch optical channels: TOS Link (Toslink) Optical Selector 3 way Switch - 3 into 1 - A132BB-TOS - Audio Cables, Optical Splitters & Selectors, A132BB-TOS from kenable (To view links or images in this forum your post count must be 1 or greater. You currently have 0 posts. The few remote ones I've found are almost as much again as the players we've looked at!

again, your a star mate, appreciate all your info every time :):"v

p.s
isnt there a gizmo that converts digital optical to digital coax and vice versa, or is that out the question ?
The convertors seem to be unidirectional:
Optical to coax: Optical TOS to Digital Audio Coax SPDIF Phono RCA Converter Adapter - AV12737 - Audio Cables, Optical Adapters, AV12737 from kenable (To view links or images in this forum your post count must be 1 or greater. You currently have 0 posts. Coax to Optical: Digital Audio Coax SPDIF Phono RCA to Optical TOS Converter Adapter - AV12736 - kenable for HDMI Optical TOS Network Ethernet RJ45 Scart Audio Phono Jack USB Firewire 800 ADSL Cable Leads (To view links or images in this forum your post count must be 1 or greater. You currently have 0 posts. bought from this guy via ebay and Amazon marketplace in the past.)

Diablo13
10-01-2011, 05:16 PM
Just to confirm, I have also bought stuff from kenable on ebay in the past.
He has good prices, decent quality stuff and posts quickly, a recommended seller with a large range of connection kit.

BraveHeart
11-01-2011, 04:36 AM
Provided you no longer need optical playback (i.e. CD, DVD, BD) I think you'll find a media player best suits your needs.
Also look at the AC Ryan PlayOn!, Western Digital TV and XTreamer ranges, to name just 3...
I think to get digital coax out on home theatre kit these days you are looking at a HTPC setup - everything else seems to be optical. However, HTPCs whilst easily upgraded, have a bigger initial outlay.
If you don't mind getting up to switch optical channels: TOS Link (Toslink) Optical Selector 3 way Switch - 3 into 1 - A132BB-TOS - Audio Cables, Optical Splitters & Selectors, A132BB-TOS from kenable (To view links or images in this forum your post count must be 1 or greater. You currently have 0 posts. The few remote ones I've found are almost as much again as the players we've looked at!
:"v
The convertors seem to be unidirectional:
Optical to coax: Optical TOS to Digital Audio Coax SPDIF Phono RCA Converter Adapter - AV12737 - Audio Cables, Optical Adapters, AV12737 from kenable (To view links or images in this forum your post count must be 1 or greater. You currently have 0 posts. Coax to Optical: Digital Audio Coax SPDIF Phono RCA to Optical TOS Converter Adapter - AV12736 - kenable for HDMI Optical TOS Network Ethernet RJ45 Scart Audio Phono Jack USB Firewire 800 ADSL Cable Leads (To view links or images in this forum your post count must be 1 or greater. You currently have 0 posts. bought from this guy via ebay and Amazon marketplace in the past.)
can i have all that again in laymans terms,LOL

little_pob
11-01-2011, 09:56 AM
can i have all that again in laymans terms,LOLWhich bit? :9:

little pob mate, you deserve a medal for the help you give out, if you lived near me i would take you for a pint or 10 free of charge just for sticking by me and giving me help when ive needed it, thanks mate, its appreciated :)
Sumvision Cyclone MKV NAS Ready 500GB Media Player, Full 1080p with DTS and many Digitalpromo.co.uk (To view links or images in this forum your post count must be 1 or greater. You currently have 0 posts. Provided you no longer need optical playback (i.e. CD, DVD, BD) I think you'll find a media player best suits your needs.
These media players rarely have CD, DVD or Blu-ray (aka BD) drives. In fact the only one I know of is the Popcorn Hour C-200.

Also look at the AC Ryan PlayOn!, Western Digital TV and XTreamer ranges, to name just 3... There are a large number of media players on the market at the moment and at your price point, so don't think the Sumvision is your only option.

But as you can see, it still is optical audio output so it would need to share that single digital optical audio input thats on my amp, just a pity it didnt output digital coax :(, but anyway, now that the story has changed slightly,
I think to get digital coax out on home theatre kit these days you are looking at a HTPC setup - everything else seems to be optical.
Just saying that digital coax seems to be disappearing in favour of optical.

However, HTPCs whilst easily upgraded, have a bigger initial outlay.For what it's worth; HTPC = home theatre PC
A basic blu-ray HTPC can be had for ~?250, but will have the functionality of a BD player and media player as well as youtube, iplayer etc.
Adding a TV tuner gives you DVR (Digital Video Recorder) capabilities.

what digital optical splitter would i use to connect one of those to my amp and the box ?...
If you don't mind getting up to switch optical channels: TOS Link (Toslink) Optical Selector 3 way Switch - 3 into 1 - A132BB-TOS - Audio Cables, Optical Splitters & Selectors, A132BB-TOS from kenable (To view links or images in this forum your post count must be 1 or greater. You currently have 0 posts. This is a manual switch, and requires the user to turn the dial on top of the unit to select the audio source.

The few remote ones I've found are almost as much again as the players we've looked at!
There are optial switches that work with a remote, but they are expensive.

...p.s
The convertors seem to be unidirectionalUnidirectional = only works in one direction. So, in your case, you'd need to get the optical to coax convertor as a coax to optical wouldn't work.

Diablo13
11-01-2011, 01:19 PM
On the subject of media players, I have an Asus Oplay in which I have fitted a 1.5 terabyte hdd.
I got it from ebuyer I think, will have to look for a link.
It works very well, plays all formats I have come across including ISO and mkv. It has front powered Firewire, usb and card reader connections, from which you can play all media formats or easily transfer the content to the internal drive.
On the rear it has HDMI, optical and coax sound output, as well as RGB composite video output. You can stream to it, use it as a Samba torrent client and many other features.
I got version 1 when it first came out, but I believe the current version is 2, with some improvements. It comes with a remote, which gives full control of all functions and an easy to use menu access system.
You don't have an optical drive, however you don't need one really because of its versatility you can load a film ISO for example from a usb stick or pc to the internal hdd and play it back.
It was about ?120 when I bought it I think, but I don't know the current price, it may well have come down.
A great bit of kit which should suit your needs and definitely worth looking at. I download things to my laptop for example, onto a 32gb powered firewire stick, then just plug it into the front connection to playback. If I want to keep it I transfer it to the internal drive.

Asus O!Play HD 1080P Media Streamer (HDP-R1/2A) - dabs.com (To view links or images in this forum your post count must be 1 or greater. You currently have 0 posts. This is a newer version than mine. It is cheaper but seems to have less rear connections. There is also a wireless version on sale at DABS as well.
This should give you an idea what I am talking about, but a further search, perhaps on ebay or Scan might give you more choice of box configurations.
I hope this is helpful in choosing?

little_pob
11-01-2011, 02:43 PM
IMHO, and to add another name, the most capable media players are those based on the Network Media Tank. The most well known of these is the Popcorn Hour range.

The Popcorn Hour A200 has digital coax out, but it's ?149 (even on clearance): Advanced MP3 Players Popcorn Hour A-200 Networked Media Tank (To view links or images in this forum your post count must be 1 or greater. You currently have 0 posts. will get you 3% back.)

BraveHeart
12-01-2011, 05:07 AM
thanks mate.

that one iam on about, would that do the job for me though, i just want to be able to bring the box to the pc, download movies and stuff onto it, mkv, avi and all that and save onto the drive it has and then take back to living room and plug it in HDMI cable and sound cable and watch the stuff on the telly in good quality and proper size, no zoomed in pictures etc, just like it as the guy who put it on torrents meant the size to be, if it does as that and its easy to be portable and it plays mkv's at 1080p i'm laughing, only thing im still not sure about is that sound splitter, cant i just buy a digital optical splitter and that will work ??

question directed at little pob, plus hows you doin diablo my friend ?:icebox:

BraveHeart
12-01-2011, 05:15 AM
hmmm, now diablo you have me thinking about that other box, now i dont know what to do, hmmmmmmmmm, come on little pob, whats best for me, would it be the one diablo suggests so that i can use the coax, or is the other one better ? get that giant brain of yours ticking, lol :grin:

little_pob
12-01-2011, 11:21 AM
Checked the Asus website, the box Diablo pointed you to doesn't have coax out, even though dabs says it does.

This one is just under ?70 (excl p&p) and has coax out: Scan.co.uk: Ellion LABO-110 DTS MKV HD Streamer 1920x1080P H.264, WMV9, MKV, AVC HD Playback (To view links or images in this forum your post count must be 1 or greater. You currently have 0 posts. The only drawback I can see for you is that it doesn't seem to have a built in hard drive (or the ability to fit one), so you would need to use an external.

If internal drive as well as coax is also a must, there is the model up from the one Diablo posted; the Asus O!Play HD2. However, this didn't review well when tested by bit-tech last month. So I'd rather suggest these:

AC Ryan PlayOn!HD (ACR-PV73100) (To view links or images in this forum your post count must be 1 or greater. You currently have 0 posts. Popcorn Hour A-200 (To view links or images in this forum your post count must be 1 or greater. You currently have 0 posts. or Popcorn Hour A-210 (To view links or images in this forum your post count must be 1 or greater. You currently have 0 posts. all sport coax, all have the ability to fit a hard drive. As an added, all do DVD ISO playback.

Diablo13
12-01-2011, 01:54 PM
I didn't spot that the Asus box I linked didn't have coax pob and in the picture it looks like it has one.
Mine has coax as a choice of connections, so all progress isn't necessarily good!
There are so many of these type of boxes around now, so you have to compare them very carefully.
I am very happy with my version and lab tests aside, I think its always good to hear a review of something from someone who actually has and uses it in "real life"?
In cases like this, when newer models seem to have been scaled down to reduce price, ebay or Amazon can be a great place to look for the older models, which do all that you want, at a knockdown price.

little_pob
12-01-2011, 02:42 PM
I didn't spot that the Asus box I linked didn't have coax pob and in the picture it looks like it has one...
The dabs spec list states coax, but the yellow RCA connection marked CVBS is the composite video output.

BraveHeart
12-01-2011, 09:01 PM
arggggggggggggggggggg !!!!! :machinegun:

I could scream, i was eyeing up the popcorn 200 and was going to take the hard drive out my sky + box and stick it in it, so i opens up the sky+ and its a fookin IDE hard drive, arggggggggggggggggggggggg:machinegun:

BraveHeart
12-01-2011, 09:39 PM
pob, what type of internal hard drive is it that goes in the popcorn A200 ?

little_pob
13-01-2011, 12:33 AM
SATA...

As well as 3.5" drives, it takes 2.5" laptop hard disks. Probably best off with a 5400RPM anyway, as they are not the most sound proof of enclosures.

BraveHeart
13-01-2011, 01:16 AM
looks like i'm back to this one then, what you really think of this >>>

Sumvision Cyclone MKV NAS Ready 500GB Media Player, Full 1080p with DTS and many Digitalpromo.co.uk (To view links or images in this forum your post count must be 1 or greater. You currently have 0 posts. because it has a 500GB hard drive already fitted) then all i would do is dowload a movie, any movie, mkv (blue ray) or avi or whatever on my main pc, put it on my usb stick and then upload it onto the sumvisions box ready for playing, thats how it works, isnt it (i hope) ???

and maybe one of these that you recommended, but does this mean i only get stereo sound rather than 5.1 ? if thats the case isnt there one that will allow a split or switch that allows the full 5.1 surround ?
or did you say because the optical cable goes from the tv to the amp that 5.1 surround will pass through to the amp either way ? hows that work then, you could have both the box and the tv streaming 5.1 at same time sound, surley i'm getting confused ?

(p.s, my thanks button has disapeared, dunno where it is ) mods please fix.

p.s.s
The Cyclone MKV supports all popular 1080p HD video formats
currently on the market. Formats supported include H.264, MKV, DivX HD, MPEG 2-TS, RMVB (up to 720p) and WMV9.

what does the "up to 720p" part mean here, is that somethings i dont need to bother about ?

BraveHeart
13-01-2011, 05:14 AM
ok guys , i went ahead and ordered this >

Sumvision Cyclone MKV NAS Ready 500GB Media Player, Full 1080p with DTS and many Digitalpromo.co.uk (To view links or images in this forum your post count must be 1 or greater. You currently have 0 posts. to the person who recommended this, i cant see the post of who it was otherwise i would thank them directly).

and this >

Kingston Generation 2 32GB USB Data Traveller: Amazon.co.uk: Computers & Accessories (To view links or images in this forum your post count must be 1 or greater. You currently have 0 posts. hope ive done the right thing, the money was burning a hole in my pocket so i went ahead and bought what ive bought ?

Little Pob, all i need or would love from you is if you can find me a device that will split or switch the digital optical and give me 5.1 surround, or i'm not sure, did you say i will get the 5.1 sound anyway via the hdmi cable because its plugged into tv then amp/sound system ?

please let me know if you think i have bought some good stuff.

the sumvision box on most sites is very expensive, lots of sites advertising this at 170quid and i got it for a bit more than 100, i thought that was good. very good.

now my nerves are going if ive done the right thing, lol.

p.s
the reason for the large capacity usb stick is so that i can just download movies, mkv's or whatever and stick them on the stick then goto the sumvision box in the livvy room and upload them onto it, saves me having to bring the box to the computer all the time if you know what i mean ?

so anyways, thanks for you guys help and please give opinions if you like, bit late now anyway as the thing is ordered, lol.

sh*t, i'm going to need another hdmi cable too and some sort of hdmi splitter, forgot about that, feckkkk, lol.

little_pob
13-01-2011, 10:22 AM
The "RMVB (up to 720p)" reference means it supports Real Media Variable Bitrate encoded video files with a maximum resolution of 720p. According to wikipedia .rmvb files are most popular in Asia and little used elsewhere.

As above, you won't set 5.1 using the TV as a passthrough (apologies for stating otherwise much earlier in the thread). You will get stereo - it's upto you if that is acceptable. If not then it'll depend on how many devices you have with optical out. If it's just the TV and media player I'd get the optical to coax converter I posted eariler. If you have or hope to add a DVB-S2/T/T2/C box, console, PVR, BD player etc then you'll probably be better with an optical switch (do not get a splitter).

The box you've bought is able to run a bittorrent client allowing you to download directly to it, so I assume you don't have an internet connection in the living room.

Diablo13
13-01-2011, 04:08 PM
Well you made your decision, so that's progress and I hope you get all sorted!
I bought a Sumvision Cyclone USB/card reader to hdmi connector box once not long ago.
It worked ok though it locked up sometimes when I fast forwarded or reversed, But the biggest problem was that the remote interfered with the telly and other things when I used it. It would switch channels or go to mute. That was used with an LG telly, so it seems like the frequencies were the same.
Sorry I'm being a misery again, your buying a different bit of kit, so hopefully it will all work out alright.

BraveHeart
13-01-2011, 11:27 PM
The "RMVB (up to 720p)" reference means it supports Real Media Variable Bitrate encoded video files with a maximum resolution of 720p. According to wikipedia .rmvb files are most popular in Asia and little used elsewhere.
As above, you won't set 5.1 using the TV as a passthrough (apologies for stating otherwise much earlier in the thread). You will get stereo - it's upto you if that is acceptable. If not then it'll depend on how many devices you have with optical out. If it's just the TV and media player I'd get the optical to coax converter I posted eariler. If you have or hope to add a DVB-S2/T/T2/C box, console, PVR, BD player etc then you'll probably be better with an optical switch (do not get a splitter).
The box you've bought is able to run a bittorrent client allowing you to download directly to it, so I assume you don't have an internet connection in the living room.

-------------------------------------------------------------------------

yes i actually have two seperate internet feeds, one for the main computer and one router over at the tv for the satalite vu+duo box and anything else i wish to plug into it. (why you ask that anyways matey) ?

lets see now,
1. tv has optical out
2. media box player will have optical out
3. virgin v+HD box optical out
4. satalite vu+duo is optical out
5 and my sky+ box i think has optical out but i never use it.

and all i have is one optical input in my amp, theres gotta be some gadget that allows me to have full 5.1 surround sound on all these devices should i choose whatever one, no ?

BraveHeart
14-01-2011, 02:50 AM
-------------------------------------------------------------------------
yes i actually have two seperate internet feeds, one for the main computer and one router over at the tv for the satalite vu+duo box and anything else i wish to plug into it. (why you ask that anyways matey) ?
lets see now,
1. tv has optical out
and all i have is one optical input in my amp, theres gotta be some gadget that allows me to have full 5.1 surround sound on all these devices should i choose whatever one, no ?

what about this little thing >> Ex-Pro Optical TOSlink SPDIF Splitter - 3 Port with: Amazon.co.uk: Electronics (To view links or images in this forum your post count must be 1 or greater. You currently have 0 posts. i never use the sky+ box and very seldome use the virgin box either now, so i guess the 3 inputs on this would do the job, plus it comes with the cables too which could be kept as spares, thing i'm still unsure about though is if it will allow 5.1 surround, hmmmm ?
and even if i did want to add more things i could just buy another one, lol. still not sure about that 5.1 thing though, be a real pity if it doesnt as i am going to be in a right dilemma :(.

I would have thought this day n age that there would be nothing easier than getting a switch that has 2,3,4, or even 5 outputs, cant beleive there appears to be nothing, and they all appear to be horrible cheap looking silver plastic colour too (no disrespect meant to people that like plastic silver), but i would prefer black, guess i could just give it a quick prime and spraypaint with black paint for plastic. lol.

edit:
just noticed it says this >>

Technical Details
TOSlink Pro Optical Splitter 3 cables into 1 socket. Pack includes 1 Splitter plus 3 x 1m Standard optical Cables.
Four optical digital jacks. The output jack connects to the main unit to which you would like to expand the number of optical jacks (normally a digital audio/video receiver/amplifier). The three input jacks connect to the source devices and allow you to output digital audio to your main unit.
Switch easily between sources instead of disconnecting and reconnecting cables when needing to change inputs. The compact design will fit in tight areas between components.
3 Toslink optical inputs and 1 Toslink output (bi-directional: can go in reverse direction), Allows you to connect up to three audio/video sources to one input, Jacks are compatible with fiber optic cables with Toslink connectors at each end.
Provides interference and distortion free signal transmission (0 db signal loss), PCM, Dolby Digital and DTS signals can be passed through this unit, Simple to operate plug & play manual selector, Does not require a power source, Colour, Silver & Black

so surley if its says it does dts and dolby digital then thats surround sound or am i away off track, i know my amp does dolby digital and dts too (i think).

little_pob
14-01-2011, 10:44 AM
... (why you ask that anyways matey) ?
Because the box you've bought does bittorrent without the need for a computer. It can also play files over the network. Therefore the 32GB USB stick isn't really needed.

lets see now,
1. tv has optical out

what about this little thing >> Ex-Pro Optical TOSlink SPDIF Splitter - 3 Port with: Amazon.co.uk: Electronics (To view links or images in this forum your post count must be 1 or greater. You currently have 0 posts. That will do what you want.

The one I linked to on the Kenable site earlier in the thread will too. Whilst the Amazon one is twice the price, it does include 4x1m optical cables (which you'd have to pick up seperately if buying from Kenable).

I would have thought this day n age that there would be nothing easier than getting a switch that has 2,3,4, or even 5 outputs, I think most people with multiple optical devices would buy an amp with multiple optical inputs...

BraveHeart
14-01-2011, 11:43 AM
ok cheers mate, thats the sound switch just ordered too, the main media box came this morning, i might have a play with it later :)

thanks for your help again.

BraveHeart
14-01-2011, 10:48 PM
kinda hard to work out how to do things with it for example go on the internet and download movies etc.

shes watching some movies on it just now that are on the new usb stick, so that side of things works fine, and the picture is razor sharp.

the build quality is amazing, very heavy weight, and usually that to me means good build quality, feels good build quility too.

if i could just work out all the things it can do, LOL.

hmm, does it connect to the internet from a pc/laptop or directly from the router cause i have the router plugged in and cant suss it out.

just have to learn as i go along, the main thing it was for was to watch movies and its doing that straight away, next thing i need to learn is how to connect it to the internet via ethernet/router and donwload stuff without using a pc (if it can do that).

plus its playing a format of movie just now that the vu+duo didnt recognise.

BraveHeart
15-01-2011, 01:14 AM
this is doing my head in already, its asking me to install samba, so i copy samba onto the usb stick and it wont install it, i think samba has something to do with the internet setup as its also asking for ip address's too and i aint got a clue man, i mean what ip address ? the box, the router or what, i dunno, my head is busting, but i have to get this done so that i can get bittorrent etc i think its saying, i will post some pictures up of what i mean when shes finished watching yet another movie, ffs, LOL.

Little pob, you got any ideas on these setups or you diablo or anyone else with a media player box ?

BraveHeart
15-01-2011, 04:23 AM
ok its a nice looking well made box that does everything, especially plug and play any type of movie format from a usb stick, but i cant even work out how to save the movie to the hard drive, been trying all night, it all looks simple but just isnt happenning, plays fine but to save it i cant figure it out at all yet.

and as for the internet side of things, you would need a masters degree, i just dont know what to do and the instructions are crap, someone good with i.p address's and things like that would find it a doddle but not me, lol.

anyway, main purpose of the box was to play the movies from the usb stick or from its own hard drive, and it does that instantly, well ive not worked out how to save the movies yet as i say though, i will post some photos up.

p.s
noticed it seems to be picking up the vu+duo box when your in the settings etc too, must be cause they are on the same router ?

BraveHeart
15-01-2011, 04:41 AM
some pics of all the stuff i cant figure out, i know mostly it looks like well just press the button but its not working, i'm doing something wrong.
---------------------------------------------------------------------

so if anyone can help me i would appreciate it, i dont want to have to start emailing the company as they will probably will just tell me mumbo jumbo, there again, maybe not, it would just be good to have it connected to the net and bittorent and i can download movies right onto the box, other than that its the usb stick which isnt a big deal, plus being able to save them onto the hard drive would be good too.

BraveHeart
16-01-2011, 12:54 AM
aww feck it, it will just be getting used to play movies as i wanted anyway, pity i cant figure out how to save them onto the hard drive and pity i cant install the samba software to let me connect directly to bittorent over the internet connection :(, feckin useless i am, USELESS !!! :Hammer:

so its a box and a usb stick job, just as well it plays every format and just as well i bought an expensive kingston 32GB usb stick, lol.

Diablo13
16-01-2011, 01:54 AM
I never set up my Samba connection for torrents either, so don't beat yourself up about it!
I just run my torrents on the laptop, then copy to usb stick as you do.
Easy to do and doesn't take long. I think you have more control that way anyway.
From your pics it looks easy to transfer to the hdd, maybe it is the confirm button you haven't found because with mine it is the play/pause button which confirms transfer, rather than the ok button as you would expect!
There is a chance yours is the same?

BraveHeart
16-01-2011, 02:07 AM
I never set up my Samba connection for torrents either, so don't beat yourself up about it!
I just run my torrents on the laptop, then copy to usb stick as you do.
Easy to do and doesn't take long. I think you have more control that way anyway.
From your pics it looks easy to transfer to the hdd, maybe it is the confirm button you haven't found because with mine it is the play/pause button which confirms transfer, rather than the ok button as you would expect!
There is a chance yours is the same?

ye true, i need to look through them instructions for the 10th time to check, lol, thanks.

BraveHeart
16-01-2011, 10:46 AM
ok, managed to eventually work out how to get the movies saved from the usb stick to the hard drive which was the main purpose of the box, that was with help from another fellow member of the site, think his username is malc or malcb, so hands up to malc, he has a similar box so that helps a lot, not same make but similar idea, and then tonight we will try and get the internet side of the box working, its kinda working just now as it gives you news channels but its just in text format but it is live news feeds and i did notice that they have the right to drop bittorent at any time they feel like it, so maybe its just that they have dropped bittorent or vice versa, but again, that was not the point of this box, is serving its purpose very well and would recommend anyone to buy one, especially from that link i posted earlier, just over 100quid and you get 500GB hard drive, ive looked on lots of other sites for it and they want 170 approx, you go and try and buy any other similar type box with a hard drive and i bet ya your talking in the 200quid+ mark, so its a good deal, and as my mini review said before its build quilty is solid as a rock, built very very well, cant tell what like it is inside as i aint opening it, no need, but the actual build quality is amazing, a lot better than i expected and a lot better that the picture in the advert for it, size wise its about the sice of a dreambox 500, maybe just a bit bigger, nice shiny black face once you peel the protective film off it.

anyway, i will keep you up to date on how this is going.

cheers.

little_pob
16-01-2011, 01:24 PM
Sorry BH, got carried away catching up on some games and downloaded TV yesterday.

Though, as you suspected, I don't actually have a Sumvision media player...

BraveHeart
22-01-2011, 08:13 PM
ok, eventually got to speak to the sellers from where i bought mines on the phone, guys really good, directed me to the the correct firmware etc etc and all that, problem was i didnt know if i had a mkv 1 or 2, so wasnt sure which was correct firmware to update to, its the mkv 1, so now i know, i updated it and everythings perfect now, those MKV blue rays movies look and sound amazing dont they man :):):)

so thats all it needed, silly firmware update and now it does allsorts of stuff, you get the news, some mad tv channels, youtube, and bittorent, that bit i cannot work out, he told me i'm best looking for a forum and get instructions of setting it up to use bittorent, but i havent botherd yet, would like to know though if anyone in here knows. ? means i can download the movies right onto the box rather than onto pc first.

thought i would let you good chaps know what happend :)

Diablo13
22-01-2011, 09:54 PM
I didn't even know there was MKV 1 and 2!

BraveHeart
22-01-2011, 09:57 PM

seemingly the model of boxs, yes, lol. thats why i didnt know either.

little_pob
22-01-2011, 11:12 PM
It's not a new type of container D, its the model of the box.

BH, I've just realised I could have just said that the "MKV 1" box says MKV on the top, but the "MKV 2" box says MKV 2... :oops: :dam:

As for the bittorrent client the software is supposed to be on the CD that came with the box :goodluck: