PDA

View Full Version : 20mb line but 4mb speed test.

Albertz
11-02-2010, 10:42 PM
Ok i have been doing speed tests for the past week and i seem to be only getting 4mb download speeds for a 20mb line on speedtest.net.

Phoned virgin and they got me to do some tests, then he finally told me that some software on my pc is using bandwidth that's why i can't get the 15mb-20mb average that i should be getting.

Is this true or is he just palming me off with this excuse.

I got a new modem a few moths back, it has only been since then that i have had slow speeds. I use news groups which i was downloading at 2400kbs now i only get about 1400kbs. iI also noticed that on the back of the modem box i don't have a Attenuator anymore, could that be a cause to the slow speeds?

Kiefels
13-02-2010, 12:12 AM
Hi and welcome to the wonderful world of theoretic download speeds.

As you already know your quoted download speed is not what you expect.
Many factors contribute to this...

Websites you are downloading from...They set limits on speeds.
If you are wireless this can cause great speed loss if signal less than very good.
Amount of traffic on the same hub as you. (For argument sake. Basically it's how many users are on the same line and servers as you)
Time of day...HUge difference in speed from say 10 in the morning and 6 in the evening.
And YES! Software running on your PC can be using the internet while you are blissfully unaware. This can dramatically reduce your DL speeds.

I don't know now as I use free Virus software and firewall solutions but Norton when installed scanned all your programs for Internet connections. I was amazed at how many at some point or even permanently required internet access.

Even your Adobe Acrobat Reader, BBCi player and a large number of Printer softwares are constantly connected to the internet. If you download anything on Iplayer you are in effect setting yourself up as a P2P user. Once it is downloaded other people can access it and download it from you.
Also as we are on the subject. P2P software is quite often silently running and allowing people to access your downloads.

I recently wiped my system and installed a clean (Just the operating system)setup then did a speed test. From my previous speed 5 mins before my new install.

1.2mb on a 10mb line.

To 5 mins after the install.

3.6mb.

You run any Microsoft operating system and press ctrl Alt and Delete key together start task manager and click on the Processes tab.
You may be very surprised at how many hosts processes are running and how much memory let alone bandwidth they are using.