PDA

View Full Version : VU+ general questions

dfdream
09-02-2010, 12:00 AM
IM planning on buying VU+ in the next week or 2.

I have a 7020 it has been fine (I hate the lockups though) I think its to do with CCCam for my cards.

The VU+, what do you all think of it.

Is it stable. Channel hopping or going through menus regularly caused freezes on 7020 requiring total reboot.

The key things for me are Twin Tuner, PLI looking interface , latest CCCAM server and Client, Auto EPG for primary sats. HD Recording.

Also what config works best on dual tuner. I have a 1.1m motorised dish that I would like on LNB1 and an output from a multiswitch for 28.2E.

Can you record off one LNB and watch on the other.

Can 2 progs from different LNBs be recorded together.

There seems to be little info on the recording viewing andf playback options for the VU+

If I choose a prog to record on the fixed dish on lnb2 will it move the motorised or use lnb2.

If I choose a second prog on the same sat and different transponder will it then move the motorised dish as well to record both.

Would you recommend the VU+ as stable enough for the sitting room or is it still in the best for tinkering around phase.

Sicilian
09-02-2010, 06:44 AM
The VU+, what do you all think of it.

Fantastic receiver imo :)

Is it stable.

It is very stable using latest Original image and VTI image 0.3.

Channel hopping or going through menus regularly caused freezes on 7020 requiring total reboot.
The key things for me are Twin Tuner, PLI looking interface , latest CCCAM server and Client, Auto EPG for primary sats. HD Recording.
Also what config works best on dual tuner. I have a 1.1m motorised dish that I would like on LNB1 and an output from a multiswitch for 28.2E.

Latest CCcam works perfect as server & client. For EPG the XMLTV Plugin works fantastic, you can see the supported providers on their site Rytec.be - Xmltv import plugin - dreambox enigma1 & enigma2 epg settings (To view links or images in this forum your post count must be 1 or greater. You currently have 0 posts. I've got a similar setup. 1.1m motorised dish on Tuner A and fixed sly dish on tuner B.

Can you record off one LNB and watch on the other.Can 2 progs from different LNBs be recorded together.

Yes with latest VTI 0.3 image. I think todays build of OpenPLI should be fixed, I'll test & report back in a day or so.

There seems to be little info on the recording viewing and playback options for the VU+
If I choose a prog to record on the fixed dish on lnb2 will it move the motorised or use lnb2.

No it will use fixed dish it the motor dish is pointing to another satellite.

If I choose a second prog on the same sat and different transponder will it then move the motorised dish as well to record both.

Yes it will.

Would you recommend the VU+ as stable enough for the sitting room or is it still in the best for tinkering around phase.

Mine is in the sitting room with the missus getting used to using it now, also if my mother was in the market for a new receiver I'd tell her to buy one of there too. The best image tested by me to date is the VTI image dated 03/02/2010 version 0.30. I'll be testing the lasted original image 0.31 and latest OpenPLi again in the next couple of days. The was a bug with tuners/cccam hanging when switching packages/satellites, this has been fixed in the VTI 0.3 image & i'm told its been fixed in original image 0.31, it should also be fixed in OpenPLi dated 09/02/2010.

You wont regret buying one, I promise :) I've had this baby recording 2 HD channels and watched a third!

Sicilian
09-02-2010, 11:44 AM
UPDATE - Just read the todays OpenPLi build dated 09/02/10 has the updated drivers that fixed CCcam/Tuner hanging. So OpenPLi will be back on my VU+Duo tonight.

dfdream
09-02-2010, 11:53 AM
One Side issue.

I wonered if I used my 2tb external disk on the VU+ can I use it to record to it.

Also I store other mkv, mp4 hds and SD other stuff and mp3s and photos and wonder if the VU+ plays back HD and SD formats itself.

I would also use space on the external HD as a home network share for files and data.
Is this OK or would it hinder recording / playback performance. Surely not though if the HD can record upto 4 HD progs at the same time.

UPDATE - Just read the todays OpenPLi build dated 09/02/10 has the updated drivers that fixed CCcam/Tuner hanging. So OpenPLi will be back on my VU+Duo tonight.

Sicilian
09-02-2010, 12:00 PM
Pretty sure you should be able to mount the External disk, but cant tell you 100% as I've not tested myself. MKV's do playback if the have AC3 audio, not DTS audio. MP3's photo's etc should all be fine.

If the Extrenal disk is hard wired I'd imagine it should not hinder performance. I personally use a SATA HDD fitted in the VU+.

dfdream
09-02-2010, 03:16 PM
DOES THE MACHINE RECOGNISE NTFS OR FAT PATRITIONS ON USB ORDOES IT HAVE TO BE EXT2 OR EXT3.

d

Sicilian
09-02-2010, 03:28 PM
DOES THE MACHINE RECOGNISE NTFS OR FAT PATRITIONS ON USB ORDOES IT HAVE TO BE EXT2 OR EXT3.
d

On USB i'm not sure TBH. I'll have to check as the machine will recognise a fAT32 usb stick, but not sure if it plays file from it or if u can record to it. Put it like this, if you 7020 can do it, so can the VU+ Duo. I'll check this eveing for you and report back.

dfdream
09-02-2010, 08:22 PM
Im going to take the plunge tomorrow.
?447 incl delivery to ireland.

A few things though.

Is the best option to install latest official version on flash and multiboot of CF or USB key with test images.

Are there instructions on installing multiboot (is this Barry Allen) / installing second image to CF or USB.

Does rytec, all recording settings , cccam etc work on VTI Image.

Are the VTI images updated regularly as well.

What do you advise as a good config for stable image and test setup to co exist.

Do you use the auto update option in PLI.

Sicilian
10-02-2010, 01:50 PM
Im going to take the plunge tomorrow.
?447 incl delivery to ireland.
A few things though.
Is the best option to install latest official version on flash and multiboot of CF or USB key with test images.

Personally I've not bothered with multiboot atm, as drivers seem to be getting updated weekly atm. I doubt that I'll even try multi-boot until the development stage slows down a bit. Barryallen only support certain original images atm.

Does rytec, all recording settings , cccam etc work on VTI Image.
Are the VTI images updated regularly as well.
What do you advise as a good config for stable image and test setup to co exist.
Do you use the auto update option in PLI.

Yes the rytec xmltv plugin works ok on the VTI images, recordings, timers all work fine for me and my setup.

Imo the most stable and usable image atm is the VTI or original image. I'd personally go with latest VTI and run software update on it once installed, unless they release a new image in the mean time. VTI have released a new image approx once per month.

dfdream
10-02-2010, 03:40 PM
I think I'll use the VTI image. Might switch to PLi later if not happy.

Where is the best place to download original VTI image and get instructions on VTI.
I looked on your page but there isnt anything there.

Do you wipe the original image from device and install to internal or is it installed to Compact Flash Card or USB.

Would I need 500gb or bigger to record regular HD.

One other thing . . Is there a download menu onVTI like PLI for downloading satelite.xml, rytec, CCcam etc or have they to be downloaded and FTPd and installed manually.

Sicilian
10-02-2010, 03:56 PM
I'll upload the VTI image here later. Its is available on another forums but I'm sorry I can post a link there from here.

Flash the image to flash using the usb flashing method.

HDD size depends how much you plan to store / record.

VTI image has a VTI panel in the menu for addons etc.. Settings you can use Dreamboxedit to transfer standard enigma 2 settings. I'll post some upto date rotor settings later too. Hopefully do this, this evening or tomorrow.

dfdream
10-02-2010, 04:54 PM
Thanks for that.

I have order placed, due in next week and a week to come to me. Hopefully.

When you say flash, thats the device internal flash not a compact flash card.

Are the timeshift, CCCam changing channels, HD changing channels and scanning a satellite issues reported on PLi in the VTI image.

Sicilian
10-02-2010, 05:09 PM
Thanks for that.
I have order placed, due in next week and a week to come to me. Hopefully.
When you say flash, thats the device internal flash not a compact flash card.
Are the timeshift, CCCam changing channels, HD changing channels and scanning a satellite issues reported on PLi in the VTI image.

Yes the internal flash.

I believe (not tested myself) timeshift has been fixed on original and VTI image. CCcam is working 100% with VTI & orig, I've not experienced any scanning issues. I've scanned 13deg, 19.2, 28.2 and 28.5 all ok. No probs switching HD channels with VTI & orig.

You never know by the time your receiver arrives there might be another new VTI and original image to play with lol!

Make sure you keep us updated with how you get on with your VU+ :) Its good to see a new member posting here :) Thank you for joining us :)

krazylegz
11-02-2010, 10:09 PM
what emu's are available sic mate... is mg_camd and newcs on them?

renwich
11-02-2010, 11:25 PM
Its enigma2 most of the usual DM emus are reported to work,

Sicilian
11-02-2010, 11:31 PM
Latest VTI image supports all these: -

mgcamd_1.35a
scam_3.58
cccam_2.1.3
oscam_0.99.4
mbox_06.10
cccam-v_2.1.4
oscam-v_0.99.4-1409

dfdream
15-02-2010, 05:15 PM
Sicillian,

You still getting on ok with vti .3.

Any issues at all that you find with it.

Is it best to download the channel bouquets and settings from menu or install my self.

I saw you comment somewhere about menus or text in VTI image in German . . Is this the case.

Can I just copy my CCCam.cfg file to the new box to the same folder.

I have to realign my dish so I have manually stored positions for the main sats. Can this be done OK.

I find in dm 7020 that if Im doing a lot of sat scans or menu stuff that the device often freezes. Does the VU+ suffer from any of this type of thing.

Have you seen the standby issue discussed everywhere.

D

Sicilian
16-02-2010, 02:27 PM
Still getting on with the VTI image. Only annoying bug I'm having atm is I have to manually update the epg, as the autoupdate clears out the epg for some reason.

Channels and bouquests I normally transfer myself using dreambox edit. I'll post some in the next few days.

The VTI Panel is in german, but its easy to understand the functions. I've been trying to find out how to edit it, but not had any success.

Yes, just copy CCcam.cfg to /var/etc

Not sure what you mean about re-aligning your dish, do you use a diseq motor?

VU+ will not freeze when messing with settings etc.., not unless you drastically do something wrong.

I think the standby issue has not been fixed in todays release of original image, so I'd say the fixes/drivers will be applied to tomorrow OpenPLi build.

bjarkekr
17-02-2010, 04:29 PM
How is the media player in this box?? I would like to see a few screenshots of it playing som mp3's.

Is it easy to navigate the files and so on??

The reason im asking is because I now use a kiss player for media and my gf isnt so good a getting around in the menu.

Sicilian
17-02-2010, 04:30 PM
Its very easy to access. I'll post a few screenshots for you as soon as I get a chance. Might not be untill tomorrow though.

bjarkekr
18-02-2010, 01:08 PM
Sounds great.. Another question.. Actually from a friend of mine who has a dreambox. Is it able to run gemini image? (I suspect yes.)

Sicilian
18-02-2010, 02:05 PM
I've read you can multi-boot a dm8000 image with barry alan. It is buggy doing that though and personally would not bother multibooting atm as drivers etc.. are being updated weekly atm.

bjarkekr
18-02-2010, 02:11 PM
ok.. I undestand that :)

Another thing.. (I keep on finding things to ask) does it play mp3's? Or is that too propretary a format?

Also I undestand it has a webbrowser? Will that support flash? (Then I would use it to play from grooveshark)

Sicilian
18-02-2010, 05:03 PM
ok.. I undestand that :)
Another thing.. (I keep on finding things to ask) does it play mp3's? Or is that too propretary a format?
Also I undestand it has a webbrowser? Will that support flash? (Then I would use it to play from grooveshark)

MP3's yes I believe it does play them, not tested my self yet.

Yes it got a web interface, not sure what grooveshark is, can you explain?

bjarkekr
18-02-2010, 07:32 PM
grooveshark is an amazing flash application on the web that lets you play millions of songs for free. Its open to everyone and should be legal to use. On top of that the quality is great.

But thats why I ask if flash is supported. Because its a flash application.

ttt1892
01-03-2010, 03:01 PM
Sicilian,you say you can use dreamboxedit to transfer settings to the VU.Does that mean I can just transfer the settings and boquets I use in my DB 7025? This would be brilliant as it has taking me months to build up my own settings and boquets.

Thanx.
ttt.

Sicilian
01-03-2010, 03:05 PM
Yes you can. Although once you've transferred your settings / boquets I'd recommend scanning each satellite that you use in order to add the HD channels that you will be able to view using the VU+Duo :wink:

ttt1892
01-03-2010, 06:09 PM
Another question concerning HD channels.Do I need to change my LNB on my motorised dish to receive HD channels?

Thanx.
ttt.

Sicilian
01-03-2010, 06:13 PM
Another question concerning HD channels.Do I need to change my LNB on my motorised dish to receive HD channels?
Thanx.
ttt.

Nope :)

dfdream
02-03-2010, 10:17 AM
Sicillian,

I have used the CatsEye bouquets and find them very good.

I want to add a few more bouquets from other sources and tried using the import option but it completes with all errors it creates the bouquet Im importing and adds in 5-6 channels.

I thought that it was something to do with the channels not being in the xml files. Yes / No

I then created the HD bouquet and added some HD channels to the catseye and saved (not uploaded) to new folder. I then did a download from vu and tried to import the HD Bouquet from the saved Bouquets but that too creates the bouquet Im importing and adds in only 5-6 channels.

I tried the copy using 2 instances of dreamset but the App froze.

I also tried the dreamset export and import list but it says that most of the channels are not found and wont import them. Like above I end up adding 5-6 channels.

I want to get this import issue sorted so I can import nice groupings from others bouquets.

Sicilian
02-03-2010, 10:34 AM
Look at the screenshot in this post, shows you how to create a bouquet http://www.world-of-digital.com/forums/f280/re-catseye-enigma2-settings-file-75-a-34771.html#post183878

dfdream
02-03-2010, 10:40 AM
I can create them no prob.

Its just a pain that when you see ones you like elsewhere that you have to keep creating them and that you cant just import the ones you want.

I have tried tons of options on the import and to date have yet to get it to work. Even once.

I wonder is it a poor program or is it something to do with the VU files not having information that assists with the imports.

Sicilian
02-03-2010, 10:43 AM
I'll a little tip later, just need to do something at work. Theres a way to copy & paste bouquets from different settings/bouquets :wink:

Sicilian
02-03-2010, 11:05 AM
I can create them no prob.
Its just a pain that when you see ones you like elsewhere that you have to keep creating them and that you cant just import the ones you want.
I have tried tons of options on the import and to date have yet to get it to work. Even once.
I wonder is it a poor program or is it something to do with the VU files not having information that assists with the imports.

Look here :wink: http://www.world-of-digital.com/forums/f280/how-copy-paste-buoquets-different-settings-34845.html#post184502