PDA

View Full Version : wi fi not working

jimlan
04-02-2010, 03:23 PM
Hi, need a little help, dont know what I have done, but my wi fi is not working on my laptop, tryed re-installing router, but think the router is ok, as I can access the net with my ipod, on my network connections, I have a red cross on my wireless network connections, is this the problem?, if so how do I fix it?.

thanks

thesparky
04-02-2010, 03:43 PM
depending on your operating system theres fairly different steps

go to my network places ordevices, view network connections
and find your wireless card, then connect to a network for vista or right click and "view available wireless networks" for xp

either way give a list, find the name of your router and enter the password if it is protected

jimlan
04-02-2010, 03:50 PM
Hi, Vista, cant find wireless card, on network connections?

thanks

Reddevil
04-02-2010, 04:11 PM
Make sure its turned on usually a small switch to enable and disable the onboard wireless card, depending on make as to where its located

thesparky
04-02-2010, 04:11 PM
ok connect your pc to the router via the lan (ethernat cable) and open your browser, in the address line type in your default gateway

for vista if your not sure, click Start/ All programs/ Accessories/ Run

then type in "cmd"

then type in "ipconfig" and press enter
look at the default gateway, more than likely 192.168.2.1

type that in your browser, you might be asked for your user name and password

once in, again depends on the make of router, look for wireless, and then channel and SSID and make sure its turned on

thesparky
04-02-2010, 04:13 PM
just read that right lol, yeah as red has said turn on your card, FN button and F10 normally or a switch, depends on the laptop

jimlan
04-02-2010, 05:26 PM
Hi, thanks anyway guys, but what you are saying is over my head, there is no switch, I had wi-fi running, my ipod picks it up still, but I must have done something on laptop, my laptop is an acer, the router is a d-link dir- 615, I used to pick up other peoples wi-fi, I had a list on my connections, but cant get any, In network it show my dir-615, but it shows wireless network connections with a red cross.

cheers

thesparky
04-02-2010, 05:51 PM
what model acer is it?
look in the device manager, then under network adaptors can you see your wireless adaptor?

normally the wireless can be disabled or enabled via the keyboard, look for a blue colour key with an aerial symbol on it

as your vista is should be a matter of right click the red cross and click "network sharing center" / manage wirless connections will show your wireless card, or once in the network center, click connect to a network to get a list, if no list is there your card is turned off

if its not in the device manager then the driver is missing or corrupt or it has come loose for what ever reason

wullboy
04-02-2010, 05:57 PM
Hi, thanks anyway guys, but what you are saying is over my head, there is no switch, I had wi-fi running, my ipod picks it up still, but I must have done something on laptop, my laptop is an acer, the router is a d-link dir- 615, I used to pick up other peoples wi-fi, I had a list on my connections, but cant get any, In network it show my dir-615, but it shows wireless network connections with a red cross.
cheers

Acer have a slide switch on the very fort on the laptop, there might 2 slide buttons and it is usually the one to the right, slide the button and hold it for about 5 seconds, Cheers m8

jimlan
04-02-2010, 06:36 PM
Hi again, No switches, it is an acer aspire 5315 vista,wireless network connections with a red cross, 5 green bars, atheros wireless. Now on conect to a network, as you say, yes it used to be a list, and clicked one, but not now, that option is not there, in that box it has, window connot find other networks, and,view network and computers, when I do this, I get, 3 things, my pc, my pc with green arrow, and DIR-615, the router, now I did right click red cross, cant see wireless card, dont know if this makes any sence? hold it, found a key at top, the one that flashes, when I click it says, wireless lan enabled, then click disabled, but nothing happens.

cheers

wullboy
04-02-2010, 06:59 PM
Hi again, No switches, it is an acer aspire 5315 vista,wireless network connections with a red cross, 5 green bars, atheros wireless. Now on conect to a network, as you say, yes it used to be a list, and clicked one, but not now, that option is not there, in that box it has, window connot find other networks, and,view network and computers, when I do this, I get, 3 things, my pc, my pc with green arrow, and DIR-615, the router, now I did right click red cross, cant see wireless card, dont know if this makes any sence? hold it, found a key at top, the one that flashes, when I click it says, wireless lan enabled, then click disabled, but nothing happens.
cheers

My good lady has a aspire 5350 i think, but it defo has 2 slide buttons on the font of the lappy, 1 is for bluetooth and the other is for wireless !!

jimlan
04-02-2010, 07:48 PM
Hi, I have looked for switches, they are none.

thesparky
04-02-2010, 08:10 PM
there must be a key to enable the wireless card, maybe F3 which will be a function key as in blue, press "Fn" hold and press "F3" once to enable or maybe a button on the top of the keyboard with an Aerial symbol press it to get wireless enabled,

once it has reported it has enabled go to the network and sharing page and try again

jimlan
04-02-2010, 08:18 PM
Hi, have pressed that, and its wireless lan enabled, but stillred cross, it has empowering technology, green buttons, but dont know about that, been on this all day, sore head, time for a break, thanks.

thesparky
04-02-2010, 08:20 PM
found this
http://support.acer.com/acerpanam/manuals/acer/0000/userguides/AS_5710_5710Z_5310_EN_OLM_0430.pdf

to enable or disable the wireless press the satellite symbol above the keyboard page 27 of that manual

once thats enabled you will see your router on the list, clicking it will prompt for a password and allow you to save that password, if you have forgotten the password connect to the router via the ethernet to see the password from the router

jimlan
04-02-2010, 10:42 PM
Hi, well just back online, lost my connection, so re-booted everything, am now picking up someones wi-fi, so wi-fi now working again, but going for a beer now, will try and install my wi-fi router tomorrow, thanks for all your time, and help, may need yoy again, lol, cheers and goodnight.

jimlan
05-02-2010, 11:40 AM
Hi, yes back again, ok this morning on connect to a network, mine was there, clicked to connect, says connected, 5 green bars, but when put firefox on, I have no connection, should I just insert the disk, and start all over again?.

cheers

berley
05-02-2010, 11:47 AM
have you checked that 'work offline' is not ticked on firefox ?

jimlan
05-02-2010, 12:58 PM
Hi, yes work offline is not ticked.

cheers

Chimaera
06-02-2010, 09:04 AM
We get about 5 laptops a week like this that often have a trojan on them and it takes over the settings i would run some scans just in case you have a lurker

thesparky
06-02-2010, 09:36 AM
We get about 5 laptops a week like this that often have a trojan on them and it takes over the settings i would run some scans just in case you have a lurker

very true, especially true if the ethernet port doesnt work as well,

if the internet does work via the lan port this rules out a browser problem, maybe remove the password on the wireles conection just to test, if it shows on the wireless list but still doesnt connect with it unsecure then i would deffo agreee with Chimaera

use Malwarebytes Anti-Malware to scan your pc

http://download.cnet.com/Malwarebytes-Anti-Malware/3000-8022_4-10804572.html

jimlan
06-02-2010, 12:23 PM
Hi, It now show on the wireless list, but I will try installing it without password.

Thanks

jimlan
06-02-2010, 01:24 PM
Hi, Sparky did what you said, did not put password in, and am now, wireless, but think I will need to block it somehow, also noticed a box to tick if I have cable, I have, but it asks if your cables ips, is PPPoE?.

thanks

thesparky
06-02-2010, 02:24 PM
ok enable the security, use WPA-PSK,
you can then use any 6-63 haracters long and can include spaces and symbols, or 64 Hex(0-F) only. Each client that connects to the network must use the same key

then back to your pc connect to the router again but this time use your new password

jimlan
08-02-2010, 10:55 AM
Hi, yes its me again, lol, anyway, wi-fi works if I dont put a password on, when I put my password on, I can see my name on wi-fi connections, but when I click connect, It says windows cannot connect, Is it to risky to use wi-fi unsecured?.

cheers

trickyfandango
08-02-2010, 11:38 AM
Hi had a problem once when putting in a psasword and the wireless visibility vanished. From what i can remember I had to chane some of the settings on my router.
like the speed of it & from super speed to normal speed and change the broadcast number (these usually go from 1 to 9) Carnt remember there proper name!
Also I had to change from wep to a less sucure one (carnt remember that either) but it gives you a choice. But only had that trouble with an old lappy (XP)my new one that I now use is ok (Vista)

phattsambo
08-02-2010, 07:39 PM
hi, might b a fue different things but hears a small easy list, start with if you r the network admin, ( if u ran the router set on ur laptop then ur router may have been reset in witch case u will need to install the router from scratch with a rj45 or lan cable,give it a new ssid and password and off u go ,
or if ur fire wall (windows fire wall or ur security software's fire wall is not allowing the conection,
or in ur internet propertys u r not set to allow windows to detect network settings for u,
or try right click on the wirless conection in the task bar and select repair conection if non of this works then the chances r that when u try and install a network card that has already been installed some systems will not install over a driver that is already installed so it rips out the driver instead of installing it also some of the other software that is used to configure ur wirless lan conflicts with the install if they r not insalled in the right order,
a bit long windid but hope this helps u or anyone else that might have the same prob .