PDA

View Full Version : My quick review of the VU+ Duo receiver

Sicilian
28-01-2010, 03:02 PM
Ok here's my review so far for the VU+ Duo.

I purchased mine from a UK supplier

When I first received it I was already impressed with the packaging, instructions, the feel of the remote and the quality feel of the receiver.

Next step I connected to TV to test with the original factory image. All was good so I proceeded to flash the receiver with the latest OpenPLi nightly beta builds.

Flashing the receiver with a usb stick is an absolute doddle! See guide here To view links or images in this forum your post count must be 1 or greater. You currently have 0 posts. On-reboot the initial setup screens are just like a Dreambox, set your tv output, in my case DVI, set-up tuner configs, parental control etc..Eventually you get to a blank bouquet.

Once setup I ftp'ed standard Enigma 2 settings to the receiver and reloaded channel lists.

Picture quality of both SD & HD definition is fantastic! SD channels display better than my Sky+ HD receiver :)

Next I powered off and installed a 500GB HDD and tested recording, all worked great. I've got two satellite dishes hooked up to it, one on a rotor and one fixed to Astra2. To test I actually managed to get this baby to record two HD channels and one SD channel whilst watching a fourth channel! :zoom:

In the PLi download menu you'll plenty of the usual standard Engima 2 downloads. CCcam can be installed from there and there's also a handy XMLTV EPG plugin for 7 day EPG. CCcam 2.1.3 works perfect :)

Overall I'm really pleased with the VU+ Duo, although there's a few bugs, beings as its new hardware. The worst bug I've found so far is not being able to get MGcamd 1.31 to work, for reason the box freezes when it's enabled.

I've also attached some photos of the receiver.

keverly19
28-01-2010, 05:23 PM
Ok here's my reveiw so far for the VU+ Duo.

I purchased mine from a UK supplier

When I first received it I was already impressed with the packaging, instructions, the feel of the remote and the quality feel of the receiver.

Next step I connected to TV to test with the original factory image. All was good so I proceeded to flash the receiver with the latest OpenPLi nightly beta builds.

Flashing the receiver with a usb stick is an absolute doddle! See guide here To view links or images in this forum your post count must be 1 or greater. You currently have 0 posts. On-reboot the initial setup screens are just like a Dreambox, set your tv output, in my case DVI, set-up tuner configs, parental control etc..Eventually you get to a blank bouquet.

Once setup I ftp'ed standard Enigma 2 settings to the receiver and reloaded channel lists.

Picture quality of both SD & HD definition is fantastic! SD channels display better than my Sky+ HD receiver :)

Next I powered off and installed a 500GB HDD and tested recording, all worked great. I've got two satellite dishes hooked up to it, one on a rotor and one fixed to Astra2. To test I actually managed to get this baby to record two HD channels and one SD channel whilst watching a fourth channel! :zoom:

In the PLi download menu you'll plenty of the usual standard Engima 2 downloads. CCcam can be installed from there and there's also a handy XMLTV EPG plugin for 7 day EPG. CCcam 2.1.3 works perfect :)

Overall I'm really pleased with the VU+ Duo, although there's a few bugs, beings as its new hardware. The worst bug I've found so far is not being able to get MGcamd 1.31 to work, for reason the box freezes when it's enabled.

I've also attached some photos of the receiver.
Great review Sic, sounds like you really got up close and personal with this box, hope u were wearing rubber gloves, hee hee

thelostone
28-01-2010, 07:06 PM
[QUOTE=Sicilian;181747]

i think there will be a sky hd box for sale soon:roflmao:
Nice review sic:appl:

Diablo13
28-01-2010, 11:43 PM
Sounds like a very nice box Sic. Thanks for the pics and the good review.
I like the idea of being able to record 3 channels while watching another one.
Update by usb and nightly firmware updates also sounds good.

I do wonder what genius thought of making a white remote to go with a black box! Small point I know, but it does seem aesthetically daft?

john0745
29-01-2010, 04:18 AM
Excellent review Sicilian !! it's sure got me tempted, the only thing is my s*y installation is communial ( 1 s*y dish feeding 6 flats ) and no other dish instalation is allowed, etc (motorised or even fixed dish if you know what i mean).
Do you think it would still be worth the expence for me to go ahead ?
P.S, only experience i have with satellite tv is watching my bank ballence deplette on a monthly basis.

Great Review tho.... thanks.

Sicilian
29-01-2010, 06:21 AM
Sounds like a very nice box Sic. Thanks for the pics and the good review.
I like the idea of being able to record 3 channels while watching another one.

I managed to record the third and view the fourth by tuning to channels on the transponders that where currently being recorded :wink:

I do wonder what genius thought of making a white remote to go with a black box! Small point I know, but it does seem aesthetically daft?

Got to agree on that point, I would preferred a black remote tbh.

Sicilian
29-01-2010, 06:25 AM
Excellent review Sicilian !! it's sure got me tempted, the only thing is my s*y installation is communial ( 1 s*y dish feeding 6 flats ) and no other dish instalation is allowed, etc (motorised or even fixed dish if you know what i mean).
Do you think it would still be worth the expence for me to go ahead ?
P.S, only experience i have with satellite tv is watching my bank ballence deplette on a monthly basis.

Great Review tho.... thanks.

Unless you got into cardsharing probably not tbh.

Sicilian
29-01-2010, 12:27 PM
Last night rytec Rytec.be - Xmltv import plugin - dreambox enigma1 & enigma2 epg settings (To view links or images in this forum your post count must be 1 or greater. You currently have 0 posts. corrected a few bugs in their uk xml for uk epg. So now I'm getting a full UK EPG. This plugin can be installed from the PLi addons menu and will always have the latest files. It can be set to update you EPG on a daily basis.

Heres a screenshot from the web interface epg.

krazylegz
02-02-2010, 03:33 PM
any screen shots of the gui etc bud?

Sicilian
02-02-2010, 03:49 PM
any screen shots of the gui etc bud?

The GUI is more less like a Enigma 2 Dreambox.

bjarkekr
17-02-2010, 03:48 PM
Great review. Im thinking about getting one of these boxes myself :)

Sicilian
17-02-2010, 03:50 PM
Great review. Im thinking about getting one of these boxes myself :)

Go for it m8, you wont regret it. It's fast becoming the receiver to own :wink:

ScouseGit
10-03-2010, 10:17 AM
What channels do you receive on this system ?

Sicilian
10-03-2010, 10:22 AM
What channels do you receive on this system ?

Whatever any other satellite receiver can receive. Premium channels depend on what valid subscription you have or if you cardshare with anyone. The later cannot be discussed here, sorry.

catseye
18-03-2010, 07:18 PM
Sicilian

Whats your favourite image for this box at the moment & why??

Sicilian
18-03-2010, 07:54 PM
Sicilian
Whats your favourite image for this box at the moment & why??

Have a read here m8 http://www.world-of-digital.com/forums/f280/what-image-do-you-use-why-35093.html

cactikid
02-04-2010, 01:10 PM
ok bit the bullet and ordered one,next to get it up and running,be nice having another good box.cheers.

notanotherone
02-04-2010, 02:53 PM
ok bit the bullet and ordered one,next to get it up and running,be nice having another good box.cheers.

yea me too but not sure when ill get one am sure if we combine forces and with sics help well manage to get them going:berley::2drink: