PDA

View Full Version : yet another ps3 hack

billy8791
02-01-2010, 10:35 AM
ok this maybe old news and you may already know this, but for those who don't.
you can play blu-ray movies direct from your external hdd.

WHAT YOU NEED.

1. a hdd (250gb+)

2. a .mkv file ( this is what a 1080p file will dload as)

3. a ps3

4. mkvtovob converter (mkv2vob - Video software and downloads - VideoHelp.com (To view links or images in this forum your post count must be 1 or greater. You currently have 0 posts. What MKV2VOB does is remux an MKV file with x264 video and AC3 audio into a VOB file which is playable on your Playstation 3. Before you ask...no, this will not result in the loss of quality because the audio or video are not touched. The streams are split and mixed into the VOB file.

So you've got your MKV file now and you are ready to start remixing it:

- First, you have to open MKV2VOB and select the file which you would like to work on and then select where you would like to save the finished file. When you have done this, click "Save".

- You will then have a dialog box pop up that asks if you want to enable automatic MPEG2 transcoding. It is recommended that you click "Yes".

- Another box will then pop up when you start the whole process. Do not close this box. Wait for it to complete what it is doing.

- When that box has closed, another box will open. Again, do not close or mess with this box. Wait for it to complete what it is doing.

- When that box has finished doing what it is doing, yet another box will open. Leave this alone and do not close it.

- When that box has closed the task is complete and you should be presented with a "Remuxing Complete" box.

You're probably thinking "Oh no, but my Playstation 3 can't store/play files with a size this large"..well, for some reason..it can!

I hope this guide is somewhat helpful for those who are not sure about how to play MKV files on their PS3.

If you are having any troubles or have any questions...give me a comment.

Collider
02-01-2010, 07:46 PM
Great program for converting files as have used it in past meself but not a hack as such though ;)

billy8791
02-01-2010, 10:54 PM
Great program for converting files as have used it in past meself but not a hack as such though ;)

I know not a hack as such but great if ya don't wanna pay for blu ray and have a fast connection to download the films,

for some reason though i am having trouble with my wd hdd, The PS3 isn't reading the external hdd and thus not aloowing playback!!!

grantstrouther1982
03-01-2010, 10:40 AM
ps3 will only pick up fat or fat 32 hdd if your wd is set to ntfs that could be the problem, shame to as your bluray rips can be well above the 4gb limit on the fat/fat32 hdd.
been using my ps3 for hd movie rips for ages now and it sucks having to avoid some 1080p rips due to file size.

Sicilian
03-01-2010, 10:45 AM
ps3 will only pick up fat or fat 32 hdd if your wd is set to ntfs that could be the problem, shame to as your bluray rips can be well above the 4gb limit on the fat/fat32 hdd.
been using my ps3 for hd movie rips for ages now and it sucks having to avoid some 1080p rips due to file size.

Get yourself one of these for your movie rips :wink:

http://www.world-of-digital.com/forums/f99/sumvision-cyclone-mkv-nas-ready-hdd-34026.html

billy8791
04-01-2010, 09:07 AM
ok think i have an idea!!!

if you had your .mkv file and say it was 8.4gb could you not split the file into .par2, transfer it into the hdd and then rebuild while it is inside, that way we are not extracting but rebuiling.

just a thought what do ya think

Sicilian
04-01-2010, 10:27 AM
par2 are just repair files that are used when downloading files from the newsgroups. The only thing you can do is find a way to split the .mkv files into sizes around 4gb for fat32.

billy8791
04-01-2010, 11:27 AM
par2 are just repair files that are used when downloading files from the newsgroups.

i know but you can build the image with par2 then sync back to mkv.
i tried this with a couple of psp games and was a success.

i will try after work and let you know how i got on